"No Run DMC" is the biggest 1st round bust of 2012. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"No Run DMC" is the biggest 1st round bust of 2012.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: "No Run DMC" is the biggest 1st round bust of 2012.

Postby octagon999 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:50 am

Sex Panther wrote:
big.d57 wrote:I think a huge reason why DMC can't rack up yards is cuz his O-line is not opening up any holes for him. Watched the game today, and wow he was just running into brick walls. Imagine what he will do against TB's good run d.....But watch i'll bench him and he'll go off :-C

I didn't watch the game, but the issue with him and the zone blocking scheme they run, is he's really not patient enough to wait for the holes to open, make the cut and hit the hole that should be there.

His final line looks decent (and I'll take it), but again, he failed to crack 4.0 YPC, and needed 33 touches to get to 137 yards - 4.1 per touch, which isn't very good. And this was against another bad defense.

Heard a discussion on a radio show where their theory was that the Raiders just don't have the talent to run the blocking scheme they're trying to use, so its not working, hence, poor running game.
octagon999
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:14 pm

octagon999 wrote:Heard a discussion on a radio show where their theory was that the Raiders just don't have the talent to run the blocking scheme they're trying to use, so its not working, hence, poor running game.

Sounds like the same argument they were making for Chris Johnson.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:31 pm

octagon999 wrote:
Sex Panther wrote:
big.d57 wrote:I think a huge reason why DMC can't rack up yards is cuz his O-line is not opening up any holes for him. Watched the game today, and wow he was just running into brick walls. Imagine what he will do against TB's good run d.....But watch i'll bench him and he'll go off :-C

I didn't watch the game, but the issue with him and the zone blocking scheme they run, is he's really not patient enough to wait for the holes to open, make the cut and hit the hole that should be there.

His final line looks decent (and I'll take it), but again, he failed to crack 4.0 YPC, and needed 33 touches to get to 137 yards - 4.1 per touch, which isn't very good. And this was against another bad defense.

Heard a discussion on a radio show where their theory was that the Raiders just don't have the talent to run the blocking scheme they're trying to use, so its not working, hence, poor running game.

Seems like the Raiders are following that advice:

Darren McFadden happy about return to power scheme
By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: April 7, 2013 at 07:10 p.m.
Updated: April 8, 2013 at 10:38 a.m.

No starting NFL running back had fewer yards per carry last season than Darren McFadden's 3.27 average.

Oakland Raiders coach Dennis Allen essentially blamed the zone-blocking scheme for McFadden's woes and fired offensive coordinator Greg Knapp after just one season on the job. Allen now acknowledges that McFadden has been most effective in a downhill, power scheme.

"That's why (offensive coordinator) Greg Olson and (offensive line coach) Tony Sparano are here," Allen said Sunday, via the San Francisco Chronicle.

McFadden never was a good fit for a zone-blocking scheme, which required him patiently to approach the offensive line and run sideways before cutting upfield. More decisive backup running back Mike Goodson averaged a gaudy 6.3 yards per carry in the same offense.

The return to a power scheme has McFadden anxious to get back to work.

"This is very exciting for me," McFadden said. "I am the type of guy who likes to go downhill, make a cut and go; that's my thing. We'll mix it up like we used to, and get some zones in there, but for the most part, I will be keeping my shoulders toward the line of scrimmage."

Although some pundits have called for the Oakland Raiders to shop the tailback, who's entering a contract season, and his $5.8 million salary in the middle of a painful rebuilding process, general manager Reggie McKenzie is open to extension talks before McFadden hits free agency.

"I'm looking forward to Darren McFadden having a great season this year," McKenzie said. He's a "north-south runner, not a lateral mover."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... wer-scheme
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Previous

Return to Football Talk