Should Commish intervene? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Should Commish intervene?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should Commish intervene?

Postby FormerlyADog » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:30 pm

This is a situation in my league. I am a player involved, so I'm looking for unbiased opinions.

A team (second to last) dropped Tony Gonzalez last week to pick up another TE for his bye. I (second place) was able to pick him up off the waiver wire today as the #2 position. My current TE is Bennett.
My commish just texted me that he will be overriding the move. This is a money league. The only similar precedent this season is Ryan Matthews was dropped September 6th. Someone grabbed him off waivers. This was allowed.

Here is what the Commish posted to the league:

Note 1:
I was just checking the transaction history and noticed that Ben dropped Tony Gonzalez for the Packers 2nd string TE the other week, presumably because Gonzalez was on bye.
I'm probably going to override this move, and will likely do so unless I hear a compelling reason not to. Gonzalez is the #1 TE in the league by games played, and "Josh" had Jacob Tamme sitting on his bench at the time of the transaction.
Serving notice here. I'll be making the move later in the day, after people have had a chance to offer input.
-"Commish"

Note 2:
Also, I should use this chance to make a PSA about transactions:
Please review your moves carefully. We've already had a few borderline drops, and this one was particularly egregious. If you make a move in error, let me know and I can correct your roster for you.
Otherwise, please just check on the logic of your moves. Don't drop top-tier players because they're on bye, especially when you've got scrubs sitting on your bench who can easily be dropped. You don't need to drop a player of the same position (you can drop a kicker to pick up a tight end, for example).
I'd like to be as laissez-faire about transactions, if possible. So please don't go nuts.
-"Commish"

Should the commish take action? Should the drop and pickup be allowed to stay? Opinions on how to handle this?
FormerlyADog
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Should Commish intervene?

Postby schlundo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:26 pm

I believe he should let the drop proceed as it happened. The owner dropped Gonzalez on his own, nobody was holding a gun to his head. Maybe he is a new owner, or maybe he had a brain fart. Either way, he needs to learn by his mistake. Also there was a precedent move with Mathews. He allowed that to go through, but not this drop? He needs to be consistent throughout the season. Just because Gonzalez is at the top of his position? That is not fair. The drop and pickup are legit. I had a similar situation happen in my league last year. Our league is first come, first served waivers Tuesday morning @ 7:00am. All of the owners are online trying to get their waiver picks @ 7:00am sharp. One owner dropped Gonzalez. By what he said was an accident, even though the website prompts the question if you want to drop that player twice before it goes through. Well, of course another owner was quick to pick him up seconds later. He wanted me to reverse the transaction and give Gonzalez back, but I told him too bad. You dropped him and he is available to be picked up once he is dropped.
schlundo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Hags888 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 am

Sounds like you've got an over-bearing commish. Look, part of fantasy football is learning from your mistakes. If you've got a rookie owner that makes a bone-headed move like that, so be it! That is part of fantasy football. I get that he's trying to look out for the newbs, but this just shouldn't be done. ESPN has an "undroppable list" to help prevent this very thing, but guess who's NOT on it? Tony Gonzalez. Just on those grounds alone, the drop and waiver pickup should stand. But when you also consider that Ryan Mathews was dropped earlier in the season (who also isn't on the ESPN undroppables list), this move absolutely has to stand.

Oh, and you need to find a new league with a commish who knows what they're doing.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:12 am

Unless there is a rule against stupidity in your league the drop should go through - tell the Commish to mind his own business - unless there is cheating or collusion going on the Commish should let the owners play the game as they see fit, it's not his job to micro-manage the league!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby machine3 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Seems fishy that nothing was said when he was dropped last week...he probably thought the #1 waiver would claim him.
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner