Expansion draft tutorial needed (keeper) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Expansion draft tutorial needed (keeper)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Expansion draft tutorial needed (keeper)

Postby gweilo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi Guys,

First post so go easy on me please!

I run a 14 team Keeper league which is in its first season but is keenly contested (family members and a real trophy bought!). we use ESPN fantasy site and the following roster setup
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
Flex (WR,RB,TE)
DST
K

7 bench, 3 IR

So there isnt much on the wire in any given week.

Basically two more family members want to play for next year to make it up to 16 (manageable number so no probs there)

Is there a tutorial or can anyone give me advice on what is the most user-friendly way of allowing the two teams to join and form a squad for next season? We keep all players and will have a 3 round rookie draft next May (I will expand rosters by 3 spots for a month and then require them to shrink back to usual size by dropping unwanted rookies/dead wood vets)

Everyone wants the new players in so there's no issue there but I want to know the logistics of it. It doesnt seem fair to use the rookie draft solely to flesh out the new teams as they will obviously be very hit and miss and also it isnt fair on teams that suck this year and were conting on Matt Barkley or Montee Ball for next year.

What would anyone suggest? Is ther e alink on here or elsewhere anyone could recommend please? I'm guessing the standard practice is for teams to 'protect' a certain amount of players on their squad and let the new teams draft from the existing squads, with some sort of weighting system to ensure they dont both vulture one team down to the bare bones?

thanks in advance
gweilo
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Expansion draft tutorial needed (keeper)

Postby gweilo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Sorry, I should have been more explicit, its a DYNASTY league, not KEEPER.

Eg. We keep ALL our players from year to year, so any new team has to be able to pick from existing rosters, the very weak free agent pile or from existing squads
gweilo
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Hags888 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm

Never done a dynasty league before, but I'd done some small keepers before. I think the only fair way to do it is to redraft the whole league with the new players and start fresh. If you all really want the new people in, that's the fairest way to do it. You could use either this season's standing or overall historical standing to determine draft order (or just randomize it).

Otherwise, you're left with a scenario where you force teams to drop some players, and inevitably that will still leave nothing but scraps for the new teams. I suppose you could reduce the bench spots by a couple forcing all teams to make some cuts, and then the two new teams would get first dibs on all the free agents after the cuts. I would think you'd want to give the new team first crack at the rookies in the draft as well. The downside is that it ruins "parity" in the league, because these new teams are going to suck for several years until they can refill their team with rookies. But, this is how the real NFL works too, so I guess that's an option. I know I wouldn't want to join a dynasty league if all I got was everyone's left over free agent junk and a bunch of rookies.

So, since this isn't the real NFL, I think the best option is to dump all the teams and start over with a re-draft from scratch. It puts everyone on the same playing field. Either that, or just keep the 14 teams, and create a waiting list for those 2 new players. They could jump into the league if and when one of the other 14 team owners decides to drop out. It could take several years, but there ya go. I can't really think of any other options that make sense beyond those.

Good luck!
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:18 pm

i agree on redraft. but if everyone really really wants to keep some players, id suggest allowing each current team to keep 2 or 3 players. then just do a standrad redraft. probably put the 2 new guys at picks 1 and 2 to let them have first crack. or even let them pick 2 or 3 players first, then let everyone else pick

i did this in a league and it turned out good. tehnew gusy wont be able to get super studs, but they shouldnt...they are new. they have to build form teh bottom
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Commissioner's Corner