Coaches on the hot seat - Update: firings start - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Coaches on the hot seat - Update: firings start

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Coaches on the hot seat - Update: firings start

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Jacksonville Jaguars
The Jaguars fired Mike Mularkey on January 10, a week and a half after the end of the regular season. New general manager David Caldwell has worked under Bill Polian in Indianapolis and Thomas Dimitroff in Atlanta. Caldwell was familiar with Mularkey, but it made sense to start fresh.

Caldwell and San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman are old friends. He is a logical target.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ch-tracker
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Think there's any chance Mike Smith gets the boot if the Falcons don't win? I haven't seen much media buzz, but sooner or later you have to get over the hump I would think. I doubt it happens, but I wouldn't be all that surprised.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:58 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Think there's any chance Mike Smith gets the boot if the Falcons don't win? I haven't seen much media buzz, but sooner or later you have to get over the hump I would think. I doubt it happens, but I wouldn't be all that surprised.

I don't see McKay or Blank bailing on Smith anytime soon.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Jaguars hire Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley
By Josh Katzowitz | Blogger
January 17, 2013 8:23 am ET

A couple days after reports surfaced that Gus Bradley would be the next Eagles coach, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora and Mike Freeman reported Thursday morning that Bradley and the Jaguars will finalize a deal to make him Jacksonville's next coach.

ESPN first reported the hire, and the Jaguars officially announced it later Thursday morning.

"I am very proud to accept the offer to be the next head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars," Bradley said in a statement. "Shad Khan and Dave Caldwell expect to win, and that's what I wanted to hear. That's why I am coming to Jacksonville -- to win a Super Bowl. I can't wait to meet everyone in Jacksonville on Friday and get this going."

Bradley, formerly the Seahawks' defensive coordinator, became a hot name this offseason by leading Seattle's defense to the No. 1 NFL ranking in points allowed this season (15.3) and to the No. 4 ranking in yards allowed (306.2) as the Seahawks surprisingly made it to the divisional playoff round.

Bradley is the first defensive-minded coach to be hired as a head coach this season. Though the Jaguars were woeful on offense this season, there's little question that Jacksonville's defense, the 30th-ranked squad in the league, also needs major help.

Bradley had two interviews with the Eagles and, on Tuesday, the Internet seemed to believe his hiring in Philadelphia was nearly a done deal. The the Eagles surprised just about everybody by hiring Oregon coach Chip Kelly.

con't...

more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... us-bradley
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Chargers land Whisenhunt as offensive coordinator
By Clark Judge | Senior NFL Columnist
January 17, 2013 2:48 pm ET

When Arizona fired head coach Ken Whisenhunt, people in San Diego started pushing for the Chargers to hire him. Well, they just got their wish ... only not exactly as they imagined.

Whisenhunt joins the team not as its head coach but as its team's offensive coordinator. That happened Thursday after CBSSports.com Jason LaCanfora reported he was on the verge of joining the Bolts.

Whisenhunt, who took the Cardinals to their only Super Bowl, inherits an offense led by Philip Rivers that includes tight end Antonio Gates, wide receiver Malcom Floyd and running back Ryan Mathews.

It's an offense that was supposed to be productive, but it short-circuited as an inadequate and injury-depleted offensive line failed to protect Rivers who, in turn, committed a rash of mistakes. But look at his play over the last four starts: He had eight touchdowns and no interceptions, and the Chargers were 3-1.

Whisenhunt had been a favorite for several coaching jobs, including Cleveland, and when he was passed over I know of at least one AFC North GM who exhaled.

"Bad for him," he said, "but good for us."

con't...

more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark ... oordinator
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Sorry, got a little behind on updates:

Cleveland Browns introduce Rob Chudzinski as their new head coach
By Plain Dealer staff
on January 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM, updated January 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM

BEREA, Ohio - A transcript of Friday morning's press conference in which the Cleveland Browns introduced Rob Chudzinski as their new head coach:

(Opening statement)- "Good morning. It's a very, very exciting day for the Cleveland Browns, the Cleveland Browns family and everybody excited about Cleveland Browns football. We were in here 11 days ago and Joe (Banner) and I talked about going through a process. Everybody wanted to know how long it would take and we said, 'It might take a week, it might take a month.' It took 11 days. I can tell you and I'm not going to get into any specifics, but we talked to nine or ten of, I believe, the best coaches in the country. We talked to current pro coaches, we talked to former pro head coaches, we talked to current college coaches, we talked to several pro coordinators and I believe we came back with the best person to lead the Cleveland Browns to the kind of winning format that we want to have here in Cleveland and that we all expect to have. I want to talk a little bit about Rob Chudzinski for a little bit.

"A lot of you know Rob because he's been here on two different occasions, but let me just go back and tell you a few basic facts about him. Rob's from [Toledo], Ohio, and was a standout high school football player here. He went to the University of Miami, was on two national championship teams and was a coach on a national championship team. He has played and won at the highest level and had success there. His expertise is obviously on the offensive side of the ball. He played tight end, coached tight ends and over the last few years has been an offensive coordinator and an assistant head coach. If you talk to people in the business, he is regarded as one of the brightest if not the brightest young minds in the business.

"He is tremendously innovative and, as you all know, Joe and I are very bottom line people, you look at the results. Before I introduce Rob I'll just say this, over the last two years Rob was the offensive coordinator at Carolina. They scored 88 touchdowns and I'm always a big believer in what does that mean? What does that compare to? Well, we scored 48. Carolina scored 88, we scored 48. If you watched how they play and how they scheme, I think Rob no matter where he's been, whether it's been here with Derek Anderson, whether it's been in San Diego, whether it's been in Carolina, he has developed a scheme around the team. It was really interesting to have the opportunity to talk to the number of coaches that Joe and I did and the one common theme that kept coming back was, 'You guys have a great offensive line. It's a tremendous way to build a football team. You have young players on offense.'

con't...

more: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... rob_1.html

Browns hire Norv Turner as offensive coordinator
By Josh Katzowitz | Blogger
January 17, 2013 12:44 pm ET

A week after hiring Rob Chudzinski as their new head coach, the Browns have added one of the better offensive coordinators out there: former Chargers head coach Norv Turner.

Turner, who was fired by San Diego on Black Monday, is well respected as an offensive coordinator. And his experience likely will help Chudzinski, the first-time head coach.

Plus, they've worked together. In 2009-10, Chudzinski was the tight ends coach and assistant head coach under Turner in San Diego.

"I am very excited about the coaches we have been able to add to our staff thus far," Chudzinski said in a statement. "Norv has been one of the most respected offensive coaches in the NFL over the last 25-30 years, and he has had a tremendous amount of success at each one of his stops -- as a position coach, coordinator and head coach. I was able to learn a great deal in the time that I worked for him in San Diego, and I expect that having him as our offensive coordinator will make a big impact on that side of the ball."

Along with Turner, Chudzinski hired Mike Sullivan as the offensive line coach and Scott Turner (Norv's son) as the receivers coach. Chris Tabor, the special team's coordinator, and George Warhop, last season's offensive line coach, also will be retained from the previous staff.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... ordinator-
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:32 pm

For Chargers, change seems good
By Kevin Acee
6:54 p.m.Jan. 15, 2013

Dean Spanos didn’t know what he wanted until he was close enough to grasp it.

The Chargers President liked Norv Turner and A.J. Smith. Still does.

But the old man — and that’s what Spanos feels like after hiring two relative youngsters — definitely fell in love with a couple guys who are the polar opposites of the men they’re replacing.

“We needed change,” Spanos said Tuesday afternoon, following the press conference to announce Mike McCoy as the Chargers’ head coach. “The dynamic of the two individuals we got is perfect for the change I want.”

McCoy, who will turn 41 on April 1, was hired six days after Tom Telesco, who turned 40 just more than a month ago, was named Chargers general manager.

Neither of these guys have held a top job before. We don’t know how they’ll do. Spanos, who seems energized by the process of change, acknowledged he doesn’t know.

stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Eagles get their man, hire Oregon's Chip Kelly
Jan. 16, 2013 6:12 PM ET

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - In the end, Chip Kelly chose the NFL, giving the Eagles their guy.

Philadelphia hired Kelly on Wednesday, just 10 days after he decided to stay at Oregon. The 49-year-old Kelly, known as an offensive innovator, becomes the 21st coach in team history and replaces Andy Reid, who was fired on Dec. 31 after a 4-12 season.

He'll be introduced at a news conference Thursday at 1:30 p.m. at the Eagles' practice facility.

Kelly, who was 46-7 in four years at Oregon, interviewed with the Eagles, Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills in a two-day span after leading the fast-flying Ducks to a victory over Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl Jan. 3.

The Eagles are known to have interviewed 11 candidates, including two meetings with Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley. All along, Kelly was thought to be Philadelphia's first choice in a long, exhaustive process that took many twists.

"Chip Kelly will be an outstanding head coach for the Eagles," owner Jeffrey Lurie said in a statement. "He has a brilliant football mind. He motivates his team with his actions as well as his words. He will be a great leader for us and will bring a fresh energetic approach to our team."

con't...

more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2156 ... chip-kelly
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Marc Trestman chosen to be Bears' new coach
By Brad Biggs and Dan Pompei, Tribune Reporters
11:32 a.m. CST, January 16, 2013

The Bears took a swing for the fences by choosing Marc Trestman to be the 14th head coach in team history, an NFL source told the Tribune early Wednesday.

The Bears made it official with a news release shortly after 4 a.m. Trestman will be introduced Thursday at an 11 a.m. news conference (pushed back an hour from its original time).

Trestman is a somewhat unconventional choice, having been out of the NFL for eight years. But he also is a proven winner, having won back-to-back Grey Cup championships as coach of the Montreal Alouettes in the Canadian Football League. Trestman has a 64-34 record in five years as a head coach.

In addition to having head coaching experience, Trestman is a quarterback guru who has spent most of his professional life coaching passers. Clearly, he is being brought to the Bears to get the most out of Jay Cutler and whoever else lines up under center during his tenure.

Trestman, 57, was Bernie Kosar’s quarterbacks coach at the University of Miami in 1983, when the Hurricanes won the national championship. In the NFL, Kosar, Steve Young, Scott Mitchell, Jake Plummer and Rich Gannon played well under Trestman’s guidance. Gannon won the 2002 Most Valuable Player award while being coached by Trestman on the Raiders.

con't...

more: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 4538.story
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Jaguars officially announce new head coach
Posted: January 17, 2013 - 7:58am | Updated: January 17, 2013 - 11:44am
By Ryan O'Halloran

The Jaguars have a new head coach … and he’s not the college roommate of new general manager Dave Caldwell.

Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley has been hired to replace Mike Mularkey, who was fired last Thursday.

The team made the announcement official around 10:45 a.m. Thursday. A press conference to introduce Bradley will be Friday at EverBank Field.

“It was just a matter of time before Gus Bradley became a head coach in the NFL and the [Jaguars] are extremely fortunate that Gus will be on our sidelines for many years to come,” Caldwell said in a statement. “Gus more than met every criteria we insisted on from our new head coach and his intangilbes and leadership abilities are exceptional.

“Gus is who the Jaguars need now and in the future.”

The hire comes after Bradley, 46, arrived in the Jacksonville area on Wednesday morning for his first interview.

con't...

more: http://jacksonville.com/sports/football ... head-coach
stomperrob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk