Can fantasy football ability be predicted or measured? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can fantasy football ability be predicted or measured?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can fantasy football ability be predicted or measured?

Postby jjswatt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm new to the website. I have some fantasy football knowledge/experience. I'm here with a question after talking about my question with several people.

Can skill or ability to win at fantasy football be predicted in advance? Or how good someone is at fantasy football? Knowledge of the NFL that can be memorized, such as who represented the AFC in the Pro Bowl last year, obviously helps form a baseline of knowledge, but it doesn't really aid in playing fantasy football successfully at the highest levels because fantasy football is about more than just the best players. It's about matchups, weather conditions, coaching, who has what to play for (playoff position, resting starters) etc. So is there/would there be a way to try to predict how someone will do in fantasy football? Or is there a way to measure how good someone actually is at fantasy football? If someone drafted the best team on paper, but because of injuries or other reasons their team didn't perform well in the league, are they still a good fantasy football player?

I'm hoping to get a lot of responses and a good discussion going. Thanks!
jjswatt
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Can fantasy football ability be predicted or measured?

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 pm

i have found that raw intelligence is a good indicator. the ability of someone to follow logic and algorithms, make sound desicions and solve problems is the best indicator of success.

with the internet, you dont need memorization anymore. also, you can read plenty of analysis and get rankings/projections from plenty of places. so teh ability to find info isnt important either

its what you do with all that information that is key.

also, understanding standard deviation and roster maintenece is key. some people just dont understand that Rbs are key. you need as many of them as possible. why roster a backup TE when there are 15 more within half a point per week sitting on FA for your Te bye week. fill that spot w a RB who is 1 injury away from being a starting RB.

its these types of logical understandings that make for a good fantasy footballer. like the guy you laugh at who takes teh #1 ranked DEF in RD 7 thinking he got a steal, while he doesnt understand the idea of rolling out a different DEF each week based on matchups is just as good as that #1 ranked DEF...but you got yours in RD 15, not RD 7

but i might be biased, as i equate success in everythig to the qualities ive laid out here. IMO, if you make every desicison using logic and efficiency...you will be good at anything

or you could just have really good luck. that quality seems to win more often than being good in fantasy football
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk