Fantasy Football Collusion? Fight with Friend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Fantasy Football Collusion? Fight with Friend

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy Football Collusion? Fight with Friend

Postby gopackgocheese » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 am

OK so This is just embarrassing that I'm even posting this. It's embarrassing that friends in their mid-twenties are fighting about fantasy football. It's not so much whether this one instance was collusion or not but I'm just wondering who's right and who's wrong and If I could have handled this situation better. I'd appreciate your opinions and to get the best and most honest opinions I have to give you all the relevant information in a non-bias manner

So My friend from graduate school knows I like fantasy football (I played for the first time last year) and asked me if I wanted to be in his league (his first one) that he would be the commissioner because he needed 10 people. I said sure because ff is fun and I was doing 2 other leagues so why not. The league consisted of me and him, his other friend, his two other brothers, and the rest were his brothers friends.

We each paid the entry fee and had a draft. I feel like I did well because I spent the time to do the research necessary to draft a good team. Here's the part that I feel I was maybe I was wrong but to be honest I didn't realize at the time. So after the draft, I felt like my biggest weakness was at qb (i drafted cutler 3rd to last round) and a lot of these guys took 2 to 3 qbs (i dunno why) so i had some depth and tried to make a trade during the 1st week. I sent offers to maybe 5 teams. Think I packaged a combination of any 2 of Spiller, Hillis, and ben jarvus for the likes of Matt Ryan (Commish's team), tony romo, Rg3, Luck, but I went really hard for Ryan because he was weak at RB. Actually I only sent trades to teams weak at RB. I sent my friend some messages like are you willing to trade me ryan, because he also had peyton manning. He said let me take some time and think about it. I didn't realize but he got offended later on that I was sending him messages that he
said were too long or something. All I did was copy paste a review of his current roster from a website that does that and then a review of how his team would be better if he got spiller and green-ellis. Anyway, he rejected and The romo team said yes because he had aaron rodgers.

So anyway a couple months go by and me, my friend, and his brothers friend are the top 3. And I notice my friends brother who is in last place keeps making some weird trades with his friend who is tied with me for first. I let my friend know, because he is the commish that those trades are kind of suspect but they go through nonetheless because enough teams didn't veto. Now his brothers friend whos first keeps making trades with the brother and another friend second to last place, and they're really obvious. Here they are.

Trade 1: First place gets Tony Gonzales and last place gets Martellus Bennett
Trade 2 and 3: First place and last place traded alex green and shonn green back and forth in subsequent weeks to avoid their byes.
Trade 4: First place gets gore and second to last place gets injured MJD
Trade 5: First place gets Calvin Johnson and Trent Richardson and Last place gets Shonn green and Steve Smith.

After trade 3 and 4 I told my friend, the commish, this is unfair and they're obviously colluding can u please just tell them not to. He ignored me and told me to vote against them, but they went through. After trade 5 I was fed up and said this is ridiculous, I didn't realize this league would be like this and i don't understand why first place has to cheat, he has a good team and he's staked because of these ridiculous trades. So i said why not just stop playing and declare him the winner, whats the point. And I also said if this is how its going to be then just give me my entry fee and I'll stop playing.

I also wrote on the league wall, for the first time ever, after trade 5 that this league is ridiculous and you dont have to cheat first place. I also wrote if this is how its going to be who wants me to just give them all my players. They responded with talking some shit to me and trade 6 which was first place gets Decker, Morris, Knicks and last place gets Nate Washington. They also admitted they were cheating on the wall, he said he paid last place his entry fee so its fair.

I saw my friend at school and I was like so what the hell is going on. He basically told me I was bitching, that i was being a baby, and that it was my fault because of the trades I proposed in September, and that I brought it on myself and that i should have gone to those guys to tell them to stop and that I shouldn't bother or harass him and that i was threatening him by wanting to drop out.

I responded that there is no reason to cheat, they're basically just trying to steal money by colluding, This has been going on for 6 weeks and you haven't done a thing so you dont care, that he's the only person I knew and that I wasn't friends with those guys plus your the commish, He did this in the cafeteria yelling in front of mutual friends.

So what do you think?
gopackgocheese
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fantasy Football Collusion? Fight with Friend

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:43 am

if everything you have said is the truth, and there is no other side of the story....then i think you know what everyone here is going to say

they admitted to cheating...end of story. i hope the entry fee wasnt too much, as you arent getting that back

only thing to do is not go to that league page anymore and ask for your money back(which they wont do). dont join next year, and express your dissatisfaction with the scenario. i would talk to your friend and let him know that for the sake of your friendship, you will not be participating in any more leagues or functions of any kind thathe is putting on....as he obviously doesnt knwo what he is doing(dont say that, but hint it i guess)

thsi is what happens when you have a first time player be commish. even a new league should try to find someone who has at least played before to be commish.

it amazes me how people dont see how wrong this is. its just pure logic. two teams cheat to steal others' money....how are you allowing this? it baffels me. THEY SAID THEY WERE CHEATING...AWESOME
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby stomperrob » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 am

Trading players back and forth to cover bye weeks is the very essence of collusion. Some of those trades are questionable, trade 5 reeks of collusion.

You need to quit that league after this season, not too much you can do about it now as this commish is totally useless so you're unlikely to get any satisfaction this year.

See: viewtopic.php?t=524568
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Hags888 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:24 am

Yep, collusion. They admitted. They suck as human beings. Finish out the year if you want, but there's no way in hell you'd participate with a bunch losers like that next year. Lame, man...just lame.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby murphysxm » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Life is to short to lose sleep over junk like this. Write it off, drop out and keep your friendship.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby gopackgocheese » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:50 pm

murphysxm wrote:Life is to short to lose sleep over junk like this. Write it off, drop out and keep your friendship.

I have the option to drop out but I also think it might be better to just stick it out ( I don't want him to have that over me that i was a little bitch and dropped out, even though the integrity of the league is compromised)
I would love to stay and either i win it despite the cheating or my friend gets to the championship game with the cheater and losses to him because tony gonzales or nicks went off lol
gopackgocheese
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Commissioner's Corner