DEF for playoffs 14, 15, 16 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

DEF for playoffs 14, 15, 16

Moderator: Football Moderators

DEF for playoffs 14, 15, 16

Postby Ahzzy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:12 am

I'd like to hear everyone's strategy for starting defense during the playoffs. At this point I've locked a playoff spot so I'm looking ahead to see who's got a soft schedule for week 14, 15, 16. Unless you've got a consistant top5 Defense, this is usually the route to go. Right now I'm looking at the Dolphins with their matchup against SF, JAC, BUF. Granted, there are probably better options for week 14. What's everyone else's thoughts?
Ahzzy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: DEF for playoffs 14, 15, 16

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 am

im using total points scored(i know its not perfect, but its a start). starting w the lowest scoring team. schedule is for weeks 14, 15, 16. i have already picked up my 3 DEfs i will be using in my leagues. its time to drop those extra WRs and RBs you were hoping would become the starter and get extra DEFs. bench WRs dont mean anything in the playoffs

KC - CLEV, OAK, INDY. i picked up clev to play week 14, as their DEF scores ok points, and KC is horrible
Phily - TB, CIN, Wash
Ariz - sea, DET, Chic. i have had Sea all season in one league, so im excited about week 14 in that league. if you make the finals and have Chic... ;-D
Jack- NYJ, Mia, NE. i have NE stashed in a league. shoudl be a good play
STL - buff, Minn, TB
Car - Atl, SD, Oak. so Oak plays KC week 15 and Car week 16. oak isnt good, but they play 2 low scoring teams late
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Ahzzy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:30 pm

I agree about dropping an extra WR/RB as long as they arent going to become useful to an opponent. I'm looking at dropping a WR and picking up TB for week 14. They've been doing great lately and PHI has lots of problems on offense right now.

Week 15 I'll probably hold tight with MIA against the Jags, I'm liking that matchup.

Then its either a tossup, TB or MIA for week 16, assuming I make it that far.
Ahzzy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ramble2 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 pm

It's not about how many points teams score, but how many turnovers and sacks they give up. Okay, not entirely, but that's a good indication of how well a DEF will perform.

CIN (49% owned in Yahoo leagues) is a great pickup right now. Second in the league in sacks (35, behind DEN's 37), plus 18 takeaways (not elite, but not horrible in the league). edit: I may be mistaken about their rank in sacks. ESPN is a bit confusing how the list stats, and I can't find the numbers anywhere else.

Plus, look at their upcoming schedule:
  • Week 13 @SD
    • The OL must either hate Rivers or be completely incapable of protecting him. I'm surprised Bill Simmons' hasn't christened "Being Sacked and Fumbling Away the Ball to End a Game" a "Rivers."
    • They are 5th in sacks allowed (32) and tied for 4th in giveaways (22).
  • Week 14 DAL
    • Do I need to say more than Romo? Kind of hit or miss, but when he misses, you want that DEF.
    • DAL is tied for 13th in sacks allowed (26) and is 3rd in giveaways (23)
  • Week 15 @PHI
    • Speaks for itself.
    • Tied for 4th in sacks allowed (34, with JAC!) and 2nd (behind KC) in giveaways (27).
Week 16 is @PIT, so maybe find another DEF that week. Although DEF can score okay against PIT. But for the next three weeks as a whole, I'm not seeing a better DEF play out there.
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 am

I picked up CLE and CIN a week ago thanks to this thread, and they are doing quite well for me.
Cult of Dionysus
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Ahzzy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:59 am

Right now for week 14 I'm looking at either...

Browns vs Chiefs. - Up until this week, the Chiefs have given up more fantasy points to opposing DEF than any other team. Also, just 1 week ago the Browns managed to force 8 turnovers vs their opponent. Granted the Browns DEF didnt exactly light it up against the Raiders in week 13- only earning 4 fantasy points against a sub-par team. Also, week 13 the Chiefs only yielded 1 fantasy point to the Panthers DEF.

or

Chargers vs Steelers - Up until this week, the Chargers are ranked 8th in DEF and it was just 1 week ago that the Steelers gave up 8 turnovers to the Browns. I think this really depends on who's starting QB wk 14 for the Steelers. Will have to keep a close eye on big ben's progression. Granted the Steelers only yielded 1 point
Ahzzy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby codered7 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:08 am

shawngee03 wrote:im using total points scored(i know its not perfect, but its a start). starting w the lowest scoring team. schedule is for weeks 14, 15, 16. i have already picked up my 3 DEfs i will be using in my leagues. its time to drop those extra WRs and RBs you were hoping would become the starter and get extra DEFs. bench WRs dont mean anything in the playoffs

KC - CLEV, OAK, INDY. i picked up clev to play week 14, as their DEF scores ok points, and KC is horrible
Phily - TB, CIN, Wash
Ariz - sea, DET, Chic. i have had Sea all season in one league, so im excited about week 14 in that league. if you make the finals and have Chic... ;-D
STL - buff, Minn, TB
Car - Atl, SD, Oak. so Oak plays KC week 15 and Car week 16. oak isnt good, but they play 2 low scoring teams late

Are you still starting CLE vs KC? ....KC has kinda been revived after the shooting
thnx madaslives911 fo the sig! you da man!

Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ocho Cinco Biatch! O ok.
codered7
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 am

codered7 wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:im using total points scored(i know its not perfect, but its a start). starting w the lowest scoring team. schedule is for weeks 14, 15, 16. i have already picked up my 3 DEfs i will be using in my leagues. its time to drop those extra WRs and RBs you were hoping would become the starter and get extra DEFs. bench WRs dont mean anything in the playoffs

Phily - TB, CIN, Wash
STL - buff, Minn, TB

Are you still starting CLE vs KC? ....KC has kinda been revived after the shooting

no. i had planned to, but after seeing KC last week i went searching for better options. and amazingly...Denver vs Oak was availabel in FA. not sure how since this is a 14 team league with all but about 6 DEF already rostered. lucky me

i also have ARIZ v Sea which i felt better about 5 weeks ago. but probably wouldnt use this week
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 am

I have stuck with picking up whoever is playing KC, and it has been great all year. Occasionally someone had that D and I had to look elsewhere, but most of the time I was good. This week however, I'm torn between OAK vs KC, or DET vs AZ. After what I saw this past weekend, AZ has completely given up.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk