QB & WR Help? WHIR! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

QB & WR Help? WHIR!

Moderator: Football Moderators

QB & WR Help? WHIR!

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:03 am

12 team money league. I had Vick as my starting QB for the first half of the season and he was serviceable despite the turnovers. I switched to Foles last week and that was just ugly. Now I'm looking at picking up Kaepernick or Henne. Alternatively, I could make an offer to a team that has Schaub, Eli and Palmer. I know that owner may have some interest and I can probably spare a RB.

At WR, I have V Jax, Smith, Amendola, Alexander and Crabtree. There were a ton of WW moves thsi week (I grabbed Hillman and Alexander) but Blackmon and Edelman cleared waivers. Do I make a move for either one?

My team:

QB: Foles
RB: Rice, Ridley, Reece, Matthews Hillman, Mendelhall
WR: V Jax, Smith, Amendola, Alexander, Crabtree
TE: Graham
K: Gould (may dump him this week)
D: Seattle

Feel free to leave a link and I'll gladly help in return.
When in doubt, punt!

- John Heisman -

JRM4833
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: QB & WR Help? WHIR!

Postby Mean One » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:14 am

I would grab Kaepernick for now and hope he starts this week. Then look to work out a trade to acquire a good QB. I really don't see any reason to pick up either Blackmon or Edelman because you wouldn't use them right away, but unless you have a bench player that will never see your lineup period I would grab Blackmon for bench insurance and possibly a high reward return.
Mean One
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 235)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby nyr199435 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Well first of all, Blackmon's worth an add just for the possibility of turning it on for the rest of the season. The payoff is so huge he's worth the roster spot, even if he doesn't pan out. You're talking about a guy that was like 90% owned at the start of the season. As for the QB situation, first I would add Kaepernick for this week. Then I would go to the guy who has Eli/Schaub/Palmer and try to buy-low on Eli. I really think he's got a decent chance, based on schedule, to produce the rest of the year, and if he pans out you'll have gotten a QB1 for a reasonable price.

You might be able to nab Eli for Mathews straight up if the guy needs a RB, and if that works I would do that personally. I own stock in Mathews in both of my leagues, and keep waiting for him to live up to the hype, and it just hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, summarized:
-Add Blackmon no mater what
-Add Kaepernick for this week
-Try and trade for Eli (or Palmer if you want to pay more), dangling Mathews as bait first. You can get by with Rice/Reece/Ridley/Hillman.
nyr199435
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Postby RedBirdChica » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Kaepernick is a nice add - grab him now and watch the practice reports. Henne will be waiting for you should the start sound like it's in jeopardy. Kaep's schedule is pretty ideal, too. NO, StL, Mia, NE, Sea (ook, so there's a tough one in here), Ari. Henne's has a favorable one, too - Ten, Buf, NYJ, Mia, NE, Ten.

I would grab Blackmon - he may not maintain the targets, but the upside is worth dropping bench fodder. Edelman, not so much; Bilichick stymies the fantasy value of all of his players (as a Ridley owner, I'm sure youre painfully aware). Though the situation is worth keeping an eye on should Lloyd actually be injured (been limited in practice).

Take a look at mine?
viewtopic.php?t=530303
RedBirdChica
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 44)

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Thank you guys very much. My only concern with Kaepernick is that my league requires that any player added during the week be kept through the end of the week, meaning that if I add him and he doesn't play, I have to drop someone else to pick up Henne. I will probably go through with it though because I think they have to give him another shot this week.

As for Blackmon, my only options are dropping Mendelhall or Crabtree. I think the latter makes more sense but do you think Blackmon is worth dropping Crabtree?

Thanks again!
When in doubt, punt!

- John Heisman -

JRM4833
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby con-vicks » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Id grab Kaepernick for sure!! But you have a solid team otherwise.

help with mine plz
viewtopic.php?t=530330
10 Teams PPR League
QB - M. Stafford/P. Rivers
RB - L. McCoy/ A. Morris/ G. Bernard/ S. Vereem/ A. Ellington
WR - V. Jackson/ D. Jackson/ / T. Smith/ P. Harvin/ R. Randle
TE - J. Thomas
con-vicks
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 60)

Postby RedBirdChica » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:51 pm

I wouldn't drop Crabtree - especially not with his super favorable upcoming schedule. Niners are only improving as the year goes on - and they're targeting the guy in the red zone.

Mendenhall is your most drop-able guy - and that is iffy considering your depth. Reece may only have another week of starting in the backfield (even though it would likely be a mistake for the Raiders to automatically return the reigns to McInjured. But since when do the Raiders make the smartest decisions?) You may want to wait on Kaep after Harbaugh's press conference. The upside is soooo tempting, but with league rules like yours - sometimes you have to play it safe; though I completely understand if the idea of trusting Henne leaves a harsh taste in your mouth. Here's TC's recap of today's update:

San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said that he expects Alex Smith to be cleared to play in Week 12.

"It looks like he will be (cleared) before the week is out," Harbaugh said on the Murph & Mac show on KNBR, per Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. "But not as of now. I'm sure he will be."

Commence quarterback controversy in three ... two ... one ... Oh, wait. Harbaugh sounded off on that notion, saying that he has the "opposite of a controversy" because "we've got two good guys" after Colin Kaepernick's impressive Monday night performance.

Having to choose between two good QBs is a good thing if you have a fantasy football team, because you don't have a fan base, press, egos and cliques affecting how your fantasy squad performs. Harbaugh can call it whatever he wants, but after stoking the flames in his post-game presser, there is little doubt that he has a QB controversy on his hands. The big concern is whether he and the team will make the best of it. We may not know who will start in Week 12 for several days.

- Tom Carpenter

MY trade post: Thanks.
viewtopic.php?t=530303
RedBirdChica
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 44)

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:28 pm

RedBirdChica wrote:I wouldn't drop Crabtree - especially not with his super favorable upcoming schedule. Niners are only improving as the year goes on - and they're targeting the guy in the red zone.

Mendenhall is your most drop-able guy - and that is iffy considering your depth. Reece may only have another week of starting in the backfield (even though it would likely be a mistake for the Raiders to automatically return the reigns to McInjured. But since when do the Raiders make the smartest decisions?) You may want to wait on Kaep after Harbaugh's press conference. The upside is soooo tempting, but with league rules like yours - sometimes you have to play it safe; though I completely understand if the idea of trusting Henne leaves a harsh taste in your mouth. Here's TC's recap of today's update:

San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said that he expects Alex Smith to be cleared to play in Week 12.

"It looks like he will be (cleared) before the week is out," Harbaugh said on the Murph & Mac show on KNBR, per Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. "But not as of now. I'm sure he will be."

Commence quarterback controversy in three ... two ... one ... Oh, wait. Harbaugh sounded off on that notion, saying that he has the "opposite of a controversy" because "we've got two good guys" after Colin Kaepernick's impressive Monday night performance.

Having to choose between two good QBs is a good thing if you have a fantasy football team, because you don't have a fan base, press, egos and cliques affecting how your fantasy squad performs. Harbaugh can call it whatever he wants, but after stoking the flames in his post-game presser, there is little doubt that he has a QB controversy on his hands. The big concern is whether he and the team will make the best of it. We may not know who will start in Week 12 for several days.

- Tom Carpenter

MY trade post: Thanks.
viewtopic.php?t=530303

Thanks a lot. The only positive that came out of Harbaugh was that he said he'd decide "in a timely fashion." Already responded to your trade post. Tough decision there. Have a great Thanksgiving!
When in doubt, punt!

- John Heisman -

JRM4833
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions