Next Year Draft WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Next Year Draft WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Next Year Draft WHIR

Postby TacoCorp » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:55 pm

I have no chance of making the playoffs this year, so I thought I might as well start preparing for next year
The past two years I have drafted QB's late in my 8 team league, and haven't had much success.
Next year Im planning on taking a QB in either the first or second round

So, I was wondering what pick I should I should take(8 team, snake, standard league)
Second, what draft strategy should I use?(what round should I take QB, RB, WR, TE etc.)
Finally, any players you guys recommend drafting next year?
Thanks
TacoCorp
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Next Year Draft WHIR

Postby CatKillah » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for helping in my thread.

first of all, it's still pretty early to talk about who to draft next season, but yes, we can talk about strategies.

For me, I draft RBs as many as I can. Similar to your situation, I have not had much success waiting on QBs, so I'd suggest taking a QB with guaranteed numbers in the first 2 rounds (I'm talking about Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning, not supposedly high-upside guys like Cam Newton or RGIII).

I wouldn't say it's better to take certain positions in certain rounds, except for the TE, I mean if you can't take Graham or Gronk early, wait until round 9-10, it wouldn't make much different between a round 5 TE and round 10 TE.

Well other than that, there's not much to say, or you can say there's too much to say. So do your own research, make your own choice, and good luck.
CatKillah
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby TacoCorp » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:30 pm

bump
TacoCorp
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Vicious_Machine » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:31 pm

I agree with your strategy, its an 8 team league, you should be taking a QB in first round. ONLY way I dont take a QB in round 1 is if I can get Foster - Rice - AP.
Also, i DONT waste my picks on RBs like CatKillah, its an 8 team league, I draft UPSIDE. You will find plenty of RBs through injury & waivers. The reason people go RB crazy is because only 32 starting RBs, so in 12 team or deeper leagues, not enough good RBs. In an 8 team league, its not a big concern. You will get your 2 main guys easily.

So in 1st two rounds, I have my main QB (Brady-Brees-Rodgers-Peyton-RG3-Matty Ryan) and one of those 3 RB above or I take Gronk or Graham. (I want a great TE)

Round 3 I take a RB again, the guy i am going to target hardcore right now next year are McFadden and Murray. These are two GREAT RBs, who have sucked this year, i expect huge bounce backs. I would say McCoy too, but personally, Philly is a mess, so I dont really want him.

For later picks, I am gonna target Romo (he's a perfect backup, Giants-skins suck at D), Greg Jennings/Nelson (depending what happens in GBay, I want the #1 WR in GBay), Amendola - these are just names that come to mind.

I would fill my starter QB-Rbs-TE slot, and then go for the WRs cause too much talent at WR (obvious exceptions are if somehow Megatron-AJ Green fall in drafts).

Just some early tips
Vicious_Machine
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby broseph jacobs » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:17 am

Wow, and I thought I was looking far in advance by trying to set my fantasy Super Bowl lineup! Hey, it never hurts to start early I guess.

Barkevious Mingo, LSU (OLB); Luke Joevkel, Texas A&M (LT); Manti Te-o, Notre Dame (MLB); Jarvis Jones, Georgia (DE/OLB); Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State (DT); Geno Smith, West Virginia (QB)...
If you look at this year's possible draft class (2013, that is), one thing pops out at you: D E F E N S E. The top contenders are defenders.If you look at an article that CBS Sports posted not even a week ago, their top 25 prospects boast only 3 offensive guys: two QB's and one WR. And even so, there's no way of knowing who will draft first, what position they wil be scouting heaviest, let alone if a certain player will fit well witin a certain system at this point.
...SO....
Let's just go with our current players for now.

Jeez, you know I have to say I stay away from QB's in the first round. I'm not sure if that ended up biting you hard this year, but there's usually enough value to go around at QB, especially in such a small league. In a 10-team league I'm in, we had a guy draft RGIII in the 8th round and Peyton Manning in the 10th. It's not impossible or even improbable to pick up value at the QB position in later rounds, or even off the wire after the draft is completed. I would try to draft a dependable, feature RB in your first round. Look at all the possibilities there are at this point: Peterson, Richardson, Martin, Gore, Lynch, Rice, Foster, Morris, McCoy... right there you have 9 to choose from. If you can get 2 of those guys in rounds 1 and 2 (if you are #8 in the draft, for example, you may be able to get McCoy and Gore back-to-back) you will be in a very good position.

Then I would go for a QB third round. In an 8-team league, there are plenty of QB's with solid value. If there were a draft RIGHT NOW for QB's, you could get ELITE level production from all of the following guys: RGIII, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Colin Kaepernick, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Andrew Luck. That's 8 elite QB's right there. Let's say, for argument's sake, that all 8 of them are gone by round 3. Okay, how about Josh Freeman, Eli Manning, or Matt Schaubb for some guys with high upside? I would even look at Cutler if the Bears can improve their offensive line in the offseason.

I would use round 4 to get another RB, honestly. RB's are too important and fragile; WR's are almost a dime a dozen in this league, with new flashes of brilliance showing up on the wire every week. If you doubt this strategy, ask any owner who drafter Larry Fitzgerald or DeSean Jackson in early rounds this year. At this point you may be able to pick up C.J. Spiller, Mikell LeShoure, Matt Forte, or even Jamaal Charles (maybe). Keep in mind, if you're the only guy to target 3 RB's at this point, there should be THIS kind of value available to you in the 4th round.

I would then go for WR's in your next three rounds if you feel good about your three RB's. This year there are 15 receivers averaging double-digit fantasy production this year. Most of them will be gone by round 5, if not all. But remember: you will be getting guys with up-side at WR, you will be set at the all-important RB spot, and you will have a very decent - if not great - QB. Just in case, here are the guys averaging double-digit production in standard format this year: AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Demaryius Thomas, We Welker, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Randall Cobb, Eric Decker, Julio Jones. If these guys are all gone, there are a few receivers I think have big promise going forward. They include Danny Amendola, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings (hey, they might forget about him after his injury-tainted season this year; ya never know), Denarius Moore, Larry Fitzgerald (if ARI somehow gets a more reliable QB; if not, look for Andre Roberts), Michael Crabtree, Julian Edelman... there are plenty of them out there.

At this point (round 8) you will probably be looking for a TE. But I say, if the Bears defense is about the same as this year in terms of who's on the roster, I would pick them up now. Their ability to score points on defense is unprecedented. In fact, you may even want to pick them up round 7 if there are still plenty of options at WR left. Go for a TE in round 9. All your top 8 will likely be gone, so look for guys who's stock are on the rise this year: Martellus Bennett, Dalas Clark, Greg Olsen, Jermain Gresham, Brandon Myers (if he's still there), or Joel Dreesen.

Rounds 9-15 would be about a backup QB, RB handcuffs, and guys with big up-side. Last AND least, a kicker. :-)

This is what I would do. Another thing: if you get caught with a RB who's in a committee, try to grab the "other" guy. For example, C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson this year.

I could go on and on about this, because there is just so much wealth available in an 8-team league. But these are my initial thoughts.

Thanks for your advice on my week 16 question. Sorry it didn't work out for ya this season.
- BrosePhD

QB: Romo
RB: Martin / Lynch / Lacy / Ridley / Wilson / Michael
WR: A Johnson / VJax / Gordon /Ja. Jones / Nicks / Douglas
TE: Clay
PK: Bailey; DST: KC
(standard; 12-team)
broseph jacobs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 262)

Postby TacoCorp » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:37 pm

bump
TacoCorp
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby prophecy135 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:05 pm

In an 8 team league the RB pool is a lot deeper then in 10 and 12 team leagues, that being said I would take an elite one if I had the chance, the drop off from the top tier is still going to be there and the top tier guys tend to be a lot more consistent then the next few tiers. I would try to take a qb within the first three rounds, but saying round 1, 2, or three is hard to say because no one but you knows how your league drafts. It might be necessary to grab one in the first, but I would bet that a good option will be available in 2 or 3. In a small league I would prefer to try and grab as many stud/impact players as I can, and the problem with drafting QBs early is that the position scarcity isn't as high as the RB position.

It's very difficult for anyone to give you draft strategy as everyone's league is different and strategies are a very fluid thing, if you go in with the idea that you're going to go RB, qb, RB then you will likely pass on a player that is a better value.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions