Smith vs Kaepernick - Update: Smith traded to Chiefs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Smith vs Kaepernick - Update: Smith traded to Chiefs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Smith vs Kaepernick - Update: Smith traded to Chiefs

Postby stomperrob » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:35 pm

QB controversy???

San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh doesn't commit to Colin Kaepernick as his official starting quarterback
By Cam Inman
cinman@bayareanewsgroup.com
Posted: 11/25/2012 07:58:17 PM PST
Updated: 11/25/2012 10:03:32 PM PST

NEW ORLEANS -- Even after another win by whiz kid Colin Kaepernick, coach Jim Harbaugh remained noncommittal Sunday about whether Kaepernick has officially replaced Alex Smith as the 49ers' starting quarterback.

Both want the job. But Kaepernick clearly has seized an opportunity that arose Nov. 11 when Smith suffered a concussion against the St. Louis Rams.

"Colin played well and, in a tough environment, he acquitted himself very well," said Harbaugh, adding that he'll wait until "a later date" to name his starter for next Sunday's game at St. Louis.

In the 31-21 win against the New Orleans Saints, Smith suited up as what he called "the No. 2" and helped review game snapshots on the sideline. As a captain, Smith also participated in the pregame coin toss.

"Obviously I want to play, I want to start," Smith said. "I think I should. It's not my decision."

con't...

more: http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_220 ... source=rss
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Smith vs Kaepernick

Postby ramble2 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Just announced at NFL.com, the controversy is over. At least for this week:

Kaepernick starting QB for SF this week.
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby codered7 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:06 am

Boom or Bust vs MIA...important for Playoffs?

What you think?
thnx madaslives911 fo the sig! you da man!

Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ocho Cinco Biatch! O ok.
codered7
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby sexualbanana » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:12 pm

I kinda liked the way they were using the 2 before:

Play Smith for most of the plays, but use Kap inside the redzone.

Not that Smith isn't athletic (I think he's fairly underrated speed wise), but Kap is just better at it.
sexualbanana
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby stomperrob » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:10 pm

49ers shopping Alex Smith
Eric Branch
Updated 11:42 pm, Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The 49ers aren't in the market for a starting quarterback, but they are hoping there's a market for their ex-starter, Alex Smith.

With that in mind, the early pre-draft buzz is encouraging for San Francisco: Unlike last year, quarterback-needy NFL teams might not find immediate answers to their problems in this year's draft.

The QB-starved Chiefs have the first pick and Kansas City general manager John Dorsey recently said he didn't see a quarterback who was an obvious first-rounder, let alone worthy of being a No. 1 overall selection.

The lack of elite talent at the top - coupled with a weak free-agent quarterback class - inspires an obvious question: Alex Smith, anyone?

"There is no quarterback where personnel guys can definitely say, 'He's a first-round pick,' " Dorsey said to the Kansas City Star. "There were so many inconsistencies in the collective group. There was not one guy that stood up and said, 'I'm the guy in the position this year.' There really wasn't one clear-cut guy."

That assessment suggests the 49ers should find a team such as the Chiefs, Browns or Cardinals willing to trade for Smith, who led the NFL in completion percentage and ranked third in passer rating when he was supplanted by Colin Kaepernick in November. Those trade discussions figure to intensify this week at the NFL combine in Indianapolis, where Jim Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke will meet with the media Thursday.

con't...

more: http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49e ... 295752.php
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Chiefs reportedly get QB Alex Smith from Niners
February 27
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs found their starting quarterback today by reportedly reaching an agreement to trade for San Francisco 49ers veteran Alex Smith.

The trade, first reported by Fox Sports, would indicate the Chiefs plan to part ways with Matt Cassel, who had been their starting quarterback most of the past four seasons.

The Chiefs will reportedly give up their second-round draft pick in this April’s NFL Draft, No. 34 overall, plus a future conditional draft pick to the 49ers.

The trade won’t become official until March 12, the first day of the NFL’s new league year and the opening of the trading period.

Smith was the first overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft out of Utah, but he failed to establish himself as a franchise quarterback during the first several seasons of his career. The 49ers repeatedly changed offensive coordinators and systems, and Smith struggled for the first three seasons of his career. He then missed the entire 2008 season because of a back injury.

con't...

more: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/27/40 ... -alex.html
stomperrob

Re: Smith vs Kaepernick - Update: Smith traded to Chiefs

Postby m16a » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:34 am

As if San Fran needed MORE draft picks. Every FO around the league has to be envious of how the Niners are running their team right now. That said, I like the chance Smith is finally going to have to work with a QB guy and be in a situation to actually play. He seems to get the short end of the stick a lot, and I'd enjoy seeing him succeed.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm

this wil be a real test of Reid's ability to develop an offences. If Smith does have real upside I would expect his best is yet to come.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:17 pm

And Andy grabs some backup insurance:

Chase Daniel, Kansas City Chiefs agree to contract
By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: March 12, 2013 at 05:44 p.m.
Updated: March 12, 2013 at 06:01 p.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs are officially re-imagining their quarterback room.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Chiefs have agreed to a three-year contract with former New Orleans Saints backup quarterback Chase Daniel. The addition comes shortly after the Alex Smith trade became official Tueday and makes it clear that last year's starter, Matt Cassel, is a goner.

CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora reported Daniel's deal likely is worth more than $3 million per season.

Daniel, 26, is something of a mystery because he's been hidden behind Drew Brees in New Orleans. His preseason film, however, reveals a decent arm and it's possible coach Andy Reid plans to develop Daniel as a future starter. Reid's philosophy has long been to stock up on passers, but it's pretty much a sure thing that none of last year's trio -- Cassel, Brady Quinn and Ricky Stanzi -- will return for the Chiefs next season.

Daniel became something of a hot name leading up to free agency, with multiple reports linking him to the Chiefs. The New York Jets also were intrigued by the career backup. Still, Daniel has thrown just nine-career passes, so we have yet to see what he can do on the field.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... o-contract
stomperrob

Return to Football Talk