Rank 3 RBs and Pick 1 WR....WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Rank 3 RBs and Pick 1 WR....WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rank 3 RBs and Pick 1 WR....WHIR

Postby sfninersfan1981 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Rank the top 3 RBs and pick ONE WR from this bunch going forward. It's a PPR league. 1pt per reception. 6pt=rec/rush TD. 1pt per 10 rush/rec yard.

Rank Top 3 Choices
Felix Jones
Rashad Jennings
Michael Bush
David Wilson
Deangelo Williams
Shane Vereen

Pick 1 WR
Davone Bess
Mohamed Sanu
Kenny Britt
Chris Givens
Brandon LaFell
sfninersfan1981
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rank 3 RBs and Pick 1 WR....WHIR

Postby broseph jacobs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Always happy to help a fellow Niner fan!

RB
What I have done is listed the RB's in the order in which I believe they belong (the number on the left).

The numbers on the right =
Current Depth Chart Position / Average Points Per Game in PPR Format this season / Total Targets this Season / Strength of remaining schedule against run defenses (highesr # is best)

1. Michael Bush: 1 / 7.8 / 10 / 61 (SEA, MIN, GB, ARI, DET)
2. Rahad Jennings: 1 / 7.8 / 26 / 78 (KC, ATL, SD, OAK, NO)
3. Felix Jones: 1 or 2 / 10.1 / 34 / 69 (PHI, CIN, PIT, NO, WAS)
4. Shane Vereen: 2 / 7.7 / 10 / 42 (MIA, HOU, SF, JAX, MIA)
5. David Wilson: 2 / 1.5 / 5 / 83 (WAS, NO, ATL, BAL, PHI)
6. Deangelo Williams: 1 or 2 / 5.0 / 9 / 93 (KC, ATL, SD, OAK, NO)

That's a lot to look at, but it took me a while to compile that data and I think it's valuable information. Of course, this isn't a science (fantasy never is), so here's why I made the rankings I made:

Michael Bush is the clear favorite here. He's first on the depth chart now that Forte is out indefinitely. He already averaged 7.8 P/G as the backup; how much more will he get as the starter? His remaining schedule against the run is not terrible but not terrific. He has only been targeted ten times this season, but he is still worth enough on the ground to get production. Plus, remember, his stat line reflects BACKUP duties.

Next I like Rashad Jennings in PPR. The guy isn't the great playmaker most people had hoped for, but he's now the #1 on the Jags, and he HAS been targeted 28 times this season (he's known as a runner with pass-catching abilities). His remaining schedule against the run is fairly favorable. So even though he's not the best PLAYER on this list, I put him at #2 because of the targets and opportunities he is going to get.

JUST behind Jennings I like Felix Jones. Unfortunately, his value is only good so long as DeMarco Murray remains out; but I can't ignore a guy who's targeted 34 times this season, has a decent remaining schedule, averages double-digit production, and has (surprisingly) earned his keep in Murray's absence. I don't think Felix will be glued to the sideline when Murray returns. He's earned more of a place than that.

Those are your top 3. Here's why, just in case you are questioning my rankings/reasoning:

Vereen has averaged 7.7 points per game in PPR, but he is still #2 behind Ridley. Also, 10 targets isn't much to write home about. If Ridley ever went down, I STILL wouldn't trust Wild Bill to give workhorse duties to Vereen. It would be more of a committee with he and Woodhead, etc, etc, etc, (how many runners does NE HAVE anyways?). On top of all this, New England's remaining schedule vs. run defenses is the toughest of any team in the league.

David Wilson will not become the starter in NY unless Bradshaw goes down. With Andre Brown out, he will likely see more opportunities to fumble, er, carries. No doubt the kid is talented. But he's wet behind the ears, and you can see plainly he has been targeted 5 times all year. However, I'd place him above Deangelo on the chance that Bradshaw gets hurt.

Williams is just a poor football player. Is that too mean to say? I think he's #2 on the depth chart because William Green refused to come out of retirement and run for the Panthers. Let's also not forget that Cam ran for two TD's last night (almost as many as Williams has had all season). That 93 in the schedule slot? That will be enjoyed by Jonathan Stewart. Williams had 24 carries... TOAL over the last three games. Make like Carolina and leave him on the bench.

WR's
I've done a similar thing here: Rank on the left; on the right...
current WR rank on team in terms of targets / PPG in PPR / Total Targets / Schedule Strength

1. Davone Bess 2 / 12.0 / 91 / 106 (MIA, HOU, SF, JAX, MIA)
2. Brandon LaFell 1 / 11.5 / 58 / 89 (KC, ATL, SD, OAK, NO)
3. Chris Givens 1 / 8.8 / 44 / 59 (SF, BUF, MIN, TB, SEA)
4. Kenny Britt 2 to 3 / 8.4 / 59 / 91 (HOU, IND, NYJ, GB, JAX)
5. Mohamed Sanu 2 / 8.0 / 25 / 64 (SD, DAL, PHI, PIT, BAL)

If I had to pick one of these WR's for PPR, I would definitely go with Davone Bess. I thought the same thing before I did the research reflected above; the research just confirmed it. Lately Bess hasn't been far off Hartline's targets in Miami's pass-happy offense. Miami's remaining schedule is the most favorable in the NFL against opposing secondaries. Bess is averaging 12 points per game, and I featured him in this week's Waiver Wire Pick Six. Check it out: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2012 ... mment-1462

LaFell would be just behind Bess in my book. He has been the #1 targeted receiver in Carolina over the last 3 games. He's averaging 11.5 points per game in PPR, and his schedule strength is fair-to-middlin'. That being said, he's been targeted just above half of what Bess has seen season-long.

Britt has been too inconsistent in the targets and scoring, if you ask me. His remaining schedule aint half bad, though. Givens' value is only as good so long as Amendola is subpar. How long do you think THAT will last? Sleep on Sanu. He's fairly worthless in fantasy.

Well, THAT took forever! haha. Let it never be said that broseph doesn't answer thoroughly (especially for San Fran fans! Who's got it better than us??) good luck!
- BrosePhD

QB: Romo
RB: Martin / Lynch / Lacy / Ridley / Wilson / Michael
WR: A Johnson / VJax / Gordon /Ja. Jones / Nicks / Douglas
TE: Clay
PK: Bailey; DST: KC
(standard; 12-team)
broseph jacobs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 262)

Postby tomas21 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:05 pm

I would rank the Rbs:

Deangelo
Bush
Felix
as the top 3. Deangelo probably just got a feature back role with J Stew having a high ankle sprain

I'd have Bess number 1, but Britt is a decent gamble.

please help me:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=530790
tomas21
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)

Postby sfninersfan1981 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 pm

broseph jacobs wrote:Always happy to help a fellow Niner fan!

RB
What I have done is listed the RB's in the order in which I believe they belong (the number on the left).

Current Depth Chart Position / Average Points Per Game in PPR Format this season / Total Targets this Season / Strength of remaining schedule against run defenses (highesr # is best)

That's a lot to look at, but it took me a while to compile that data and I think it's valuable information. Of course, this isn't a science (fantasy never is), so here's why I made the rankings I made:

Michael Bush is the clear favorite here. He's first on the depth chart now that Forte is out indefinitely. He already averaged 7.8 P/G as the backup; how much more will he get as the starter? His remaining schedule against the run is not terrible but not terrific. He has only been targeted ten times this season, but he is still worth enough on the ground to get production. Plus, remember, his stat line reflects BACKUP duties.

Next I like Rashad Jennings in PPR. The guy isn't the great playmaker most people had hoped for, but he's now the #1 on the Jags, and he HAS been targeted 28 times this season (he's known as a runner with pass-catching abilities). His remaining schedule against the run is fairly favorable. So even though he's not the best PLAYER on this list, I put him at #2 because of the targets and opportunities he is going to get.

JUST behind Jennings I like Felix Jones. Unfortunately, his value is only good so long as DeMarco Murray remains out; but I can't ignore a guy who's targeted 34 times this season, has a decent remaining schedule, averages double-digit production, and has (surprisingly) earned his keep in Murray's absence. I don't think Felix will be glued to the sideline when Murray returns. He's earned more of a place than that.

Those are your top 3. Here's why, just in case you are questioning my rankings/reasoning:

Vereen has averaged 7.7 points per game in PPR, but he is still #2 behind Ridley. Also, 10 targets isn't much to write home about. If Ridley ever went down, I STILL wouldn't trust Wild Bill to give workhorse duties to Vereen. It would be more of a committee with he and Woodhead, etc, etc, etc, (how many runners does NE HAVE anyways?). On top of all this, New England's remaining schedule vs. run defenses is the toughest of any team in the league.

David Wilson will not become the starter in NY unless Bradshaw goes down. With Andre Brown out, he will likely see more opportunities to fumble, er, carries. No doubt the kid is talented. But he's wet behind the ears, and you can see plainly he has been targeted 5 times all year. However, I'd place him above Deangelo on the chance that Bradshaw gets hurt.

Williams is just a poor football player. Is that too mean to say? I think he's #2 on the depth chart because William Green refused to come out of retirement and run for the Panthers. Let's also not forget that Cam ran for two TD's last night (almost as many as Williams has had all season). That 93 in the schedule slot? That will be enjoyed by Jonathan Stewart. Williams had 24 carries... TOAL over the last three games. Make like Carolina and leave him on the bench.

WR's
current WR rank on team in terms of targets / PPG in PPR / Total Targets / Schedule Strength

If I had to pick one of these WR's for PPR, I would definitely go with Davone Bess. I thought the same thing before I did the research reflected above; the research just confirmed it. Lately Bess hasn't been far off Hartline's targets in Miami's pass-happy offense. Miami's remaining schedule is the most favorable in the NFL against opposing secondaries. Bess is averaging 12 points per game, and I featured him in this week's Waiver Wire Pick Six. Check it out: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2012 ... mment-1462

LaFell would be just behind Bess in my book. He has been the #1 targeted receiver in Carolina over the last 3 games. He's averaging 11.5 points per game in PPR, and his schedule strength is fair-to-middlin'. That being said, he's been targeted just above half of what Bess has seen season-long.

Britt has been too inconsistent in the targets and scoring, if you ask me. His remaining schedule aint half bad, though. Givens' value is only as good so long as Amendola is subpar. How long do you think THAT will last? Sleep on Sanu. He's fairly worthless in fantasy.

Well, THAT took forever! haha. Let it never be said that broseph doesn't answer thoroughly (especially for San Fran fans! Who's got it better than us??) good luck!

This is the most thorough and amazing reply I've ever received! Thank you so much! I will definitely using this information. I'd feel guilty if I didn't! It's nice to see another Niner fan. I live in NYC so I'm surrounded by Giants fans. :,-( I'd like to know your thoughts on the Alex Smith-Kaepernick situation. Being a long time fan, I'm still carrying the emotional scars from the Pre-Harbaugh Alex Smith era, so I'm really behind Kid Kap. Thanks for helping a girl out! P.S. I just read Jonathan Stewart has a high ankle sprain. Not sure if that changes anything...
sfninersfan1981
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sfninersfan1981 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 pm

tomas21 wrote:I would rank the Rbs:

Deangelo
Bush
Felix
as the top 3. Deangelo probably just got a feature back role with J Stew having a high ankle sprain

I'd have Bess number 1, but Britt is a decent gamble.

please help me:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=530790

Thanks. I'm thinking Bess too in this PPR and I JUST read about Stewart's injury! Ha! I still have a few hours to evaluate my options. On my way to answer yours.
sfninersfan1981
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby broseph jacobs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm

sfninersfan1981 wrote:

RB

WR's

This is the most thorough and amazing reply I've ever received! Thank you so much! I will definitely using this information. I'd feel guilty if I didn't! It's nice to see another Niner fan. I live in NYC so I'm surrounded by Giants fans. :,-( I'd like to know your thoughts on the Alex Smith-Kaepernick situation. Being a long time fan, I'm still carrying the emotional scars from the Pre-Harbaugh Alex Smith era, so I'm really behind Kid Kap. Thanks for helping a girl out! P.S. I just read Jonathan Stewart has a high ankle sprain. Not sure if that changes anything...

My pleasure! I hear ya: I live in upstate NY, so I totally get what yer saying about the Giants fans (most of my family here). Small world!

I am totally with you: Kaep all the way, no question about it. It's not about numbers (Smith "won" 23 out of his last blah blah blah"; it's about the eyeball test, the pocket presence, the cannon arm, the confidence of his teammates... need I say more? Kaep is a much better Q than Smith, both now and in the future. He's the franchise's future for sure. Also, how many of those games did Smith actually "win"... or was it our DEF and #21?

Jeez I didn't know about the high ankle sprain. That does change things, but GOSH I mean Deangelo from what I've seen is just downright terrible. I don't see any explosiveness, or willingness to go up the middle with any determination. If the D makes a giant hole, or he can get outside, he picks up chunks, ya. But even then he can't outrun a secondary like a lot of RB's in the league can nowadays.
Also, I am seeing reports of Forte possibly even returning THIS week. Haha here I spend all that time and two reports change it all.

Okay... here's how I would rank them with the Forte news and the Stewart news
1. Rahad Jennings: 1 / 7.8 / 26 / 78 (KC, ATL, SD, OAK, NO)
2. Deangelo Williams: 1 or 2 / 5.0 / 9 / 93 (KC, ATL, SD, OAK, NO)
4. Michael Bush: 1 / 7.8 / 10 / 61 (SEA, MIN, GB, ARI, DET)
5. Shane Vereen: 2 / 7.7 / 10 / 42 (MIA, HOU, SF, JAX, MIA)
6. David Wilson: 2 / 1.5 / 5 / 83 (WAS, NO, ATL, BAL, PHI)

Does that make sense?
- BrosePhD

TE: Clay
PK: Bailey; DST: KC
(standard; 12-team)
broseph jacobs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 262)

Postby sfninersfan1981 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 pm

broseph jacobs wrote:
sfninersfan1981 wrote:

RB

WR's

My pleasure! I hear ya: I live in upstate NY, so I totally get what yer saying about the Giants fans (most of my family here). Small world!

I am totally with you: Kaep all the way, no question about it. It's not about numbers (Smith "won" 23 out of his last blah blah blah"; it's about the eyeball test, the pocket presence, the cannon arm, the confidence of his teammates... need I say more? Kaep is a much better Q than Smith, both now and in the future. He's the franchise's future for sure. Also, how many of those games did Smith actually "win"... or was it our DEF and #21?

Jeez I didn't know about the high ankle sprain. That does change things, but GOSH I mean Deangelo from what I've seen is just downright terrible. I don't see any explosiveness, or willingness to go up the middle with any determination. If the D makes a giant hole, or he can get outside, he picks up chunks, ya. But even then he can't outrun a secondary like a lot of RB's in the league can nowadays.
Also, I am seeing reports of Forte possibly even returning THIS week. Haha here I spend all that time and two reports change it all.

Okay... here's how I would rank them with the Forte news and the Stewart news
1. Rahad Jennings: 1 / 7.8 / 26 / 78 (KC, ATL, SD, OAK, NO)
2. Deangelo Williams: 1 or 2 / 5.0 / 9 / 93 (KC, ATL, SD, OAK, NO)
4. Michael Bush: 1 / 7.8 / 10 / 61 (SEA, MIN, GB, ARI, DET)
5. Shane Vereen: 2 / 7.7 / 10 / 42 (MIA, HOU, SF, JAX, MIA)
6. David Wilson: 2 / 1.5 / 5 / 83 (WAS, NO, ATL, BAL, PHI)

Does that make sense?

Definitely. I have a low waiver so I doubt I'll get him but maybe guys will sleep on the Stewart news and I'm able to snag Deangelo. I'm not particularly excited about him either but it's a guy with a starting gig for probably the next 3-4 weeks if it truly IS a high ankle sprain. I like Wilson a lot since but I think I like him more because of living so close to the hype (especially preseason.) And I agree; most of the people in favor of Alex Smith I've encountered are not Niner fans. I want the Niners to be great again. I don't think they can with Alex Smith; he's a great game manager and they can go deep in the playoffs with him but they need a game changer at QB to win it all. So I say be gutsy and go with the kid!
sfninersfan1981
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby broseph jacobs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:39 pm

agreed
- BrosePhD