Finley vs. Gresham, Mathews vs. Ballard - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Finley vs. Gresham, Mathews vs. Ballard

Moderator: Football Moderators

Finley vs. Gresham, Mathews vs. Ballard

Postby Dolfan19 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:03 am

First Round of playoffs tomorrow and I have a couple of choices at TE and Flex (.5 PPR)

Finley vs. DET (in perhaps a very snowy game) or Gresham vs. Dal

Gresham has put together a nice season and is currently a top 10 TE, while Finley has disappointed with only 2 TDs in 12 games. However the matchups favor Finley a lot as the Cowboys rank 5th vs. TEs and DET ranks 28th. Plus Nelson is hurt which should increase looks to Finley. I expect the CIN DAL game to be a ground and pound game more than expected, and TDs should be at a premium, while GB vs DET looks like it could be a fun snowy shootout. I had Gresham locked in, but I am now leaning heavily towards Finley. Thoughts?

As for my Flex position, I had Ryan Mathews locked in as he was my second round pick, I didn't give it much thought, but then I looked and saw:

Mathews @ PIT and Ballard vs TEN. Another matchups play where PIT is the #5 DEF vs RBs and TEN is the #30 DEF vs RBs. In addition, Brown is out for the Colts, which means Ballard should see a heavy load of touches. Mathews has disappointed this season as he has only 1 TD all year and hasn't cracked 4 yards per carry in any of the past 4 games. I have made the switch to Ballard since I doubt Mathews breaks out of a funk @ PIT, but if you have any good insights, I would love to hear them.

Thanks! WHIR... (either in the next hour or so, or sunday morning as I will be gone for most of today) Just leave me a link.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Finley vs. Gresham, Mathews vs. Ballard

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks for help with mine.

I'd go with Greshem between these two. Finley is completely untrustworthy and it feels like Greshem gets more receptions per game than Finley does targets. Saw something a week or two ago about Finley still not knowing the playbook. Fin could have a good game but snow or not the odds are long.

If Mercedes Lewis is on your waiver wire you may want to take a look at him. Henne loves him, Shorts is out and Cromartie will be covering Blackmon.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)

Postby 11stever11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:05 am

At TE I would lean towards Gresham, Finley has been hit or miss this season. I prefer Mathews over Ballard, but I think it is a coin flip.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby wtr23 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:19 am

I like Gresham at TE and Ballard as RB, Mathews has been very disappointing this season :-t
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 247)

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 am

Sorry, forgot the RB part.

Go Ballard. The Chargers don't trust Mathews in the same way the Gisnts do not trust David Wilson. Plus, Norv Turner is the Anti-Christ of fantasy football. There is nothing more painful than watching an entire Chargers game whil Norv Turner calls the most frustrating plays ever designed and your fantasy day sloppily grinds towards a loss. Can you tell that I have first hand experience? Stay away from Mathews; he's underperformed, Pitt's D us stout and Norv is a jinx.
Ballard should have a decent day and get goal line carries. Unlike Mathews
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)

Postby drtodddds » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:58 pm

I'd go Gresham and Ballard
Thanks for helping me out.
drtodddds
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crazed98 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Gresham def and I would lean towards Balllard.

Help with mine viewtopic.php?f=19&t=531711
Crazed98
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Who to Start/Bench