Cam Cameron Firing - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cam Cameron Firing

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cam Cameron Firing

Postby ziggy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:42 pm

What effect, if any, does the Cameron firing have on Ray Rice? Everything I'm reading hints that Flacco had a hand in it due to Cameron under-utilizing the no huddle offense. Flacco is no elite QB, even though he may think so, and Cameron's play calling has frustrated us Rice owners. I'm hoping Caldwell will lean more on their best play maker (Rice) and use Flacco as he should be used, a game manager rather than the focal point of the offense.

Also, I feel sorry for Caldwell. Having to go from Peyton Manning to Joe Crappo must be terrible.
ziggy
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cam Cameron Firing

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 am

This kind of shocks me because the type of play calling is dictated by what happenes in the game. Baltimore's defense has dropped a notch so they are in closer games where they have to mix it up a bit. Last year and the year before they were more run friendly. I would say that they are not doing as well as an offense this year as they did last year but is that a reason for firing a proven OC?
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:35 pm

I think that Rice owners are being extremely short-sighted, and could end up massively regretting Cam leaving.

Cam's offense is extremely running back friendly. Moreso than anyone else currently in the NFL. He churns out elite FF runners. He was the OC in San Diego for most of LT's career, with his last year being LT's best year (2300/31). He then went to Miami, where he immediately turned Ronnie Brown into the #1 dynasty FF running back briefly before Brown blew out his knee and Cameron moved on. He then landed in Baltimore, where he almost immediately helped Rice become an FF stud.

In his 10 years, only once has he not produced an elite FF running back (his first year in Baltimore with Mcgahee/Rice splitting time).

In 6 of his 10 years, he has had his running back at or very near 2,000 total yards. Ronnie Brown was easily on pace to eclipse that mark before his injury as well.

In addition to getting them space to run, his system also heavily relies on getting running backs the ball in the passing game.

Receptions per season.
LT under Cam: 80
LT otherwise: 43

Ronnie Brown under Cam: 90 (pace, injured after 7 games)
Ronnie Brown otherwise: 29

It shocks me that Rice owners had the viewpoint they did. Cameron has 10 years of being the FF RB creating messiah and they want to jump ship because of a stretch of 5 games with a team where there was clearly pressure from above his head to feature the passing game more? In his place we get a QB coach who helped run one of the worst offenses in the NFL last year?

In the long run, this is certainly a negative for Rice, and I'll be buying the running back of whatever team Cameron ends up with.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Cam got fired because Flacco regressed, and no WRs stepped up to fill that need. Flacco's poor decision making may be a reflection on not being comfortable with Cameron's playbook? Guess it just goes to show that you can't fire the players.

Wonder how many more bad games Harbaugh can survive?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Return to Football Talk