H2H is just dumb. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

H2H is just dumb.

Moderator: Football Moderators

H2H is just dumb.

Postby Papa Deuce » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 am

I had no idea where to place this, but here ya go. In my opinion, playing H2H fantasy football is not any indication at all whether you drafted well. My league plays total points and not H2H, but if we where playing H2H, the team with the second lowest point total would be in the playoff, and he has 1033 points, while the 1st place guy is at 1588 points. In full disclosure, the guy with 1033 points ( in 9th in points scored in a 10 team league ), kicked my butt last night. I was leading going into the game by about 15 points, and I lost by 20. Now, I don't mind the loss because we don't play H2H, but the second worst team in the league would have smoked the 2nd best team in the league.

Aside from Tom Brady, compared to my Aaron Rodgers, he does not have a single player that he starts that has scored more than any player I start at the same position.

So, I won't lose this league because of this weeks loss, so it isn't sour grapes. But how can anybody enjoy H2H when so much of fantasy football is all about luck? We do have fun H2H though by making weekly bets, but that doesn't affect who winds the league.

Give me a minute to get flame retardant.
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: H2H is just dumb.

Postby Doctor P » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:31 pm

I understand the gripe...but really, how much fun are you having in your total points league on a week to week basis. Do you jump up and down when you score the 3rd most points in a 10 team league, talk trash to whoever scored 4th that week?

Again, I do agree that going strictly by points is the most fair, but it's also the most boring....
QB: Romo, Freeman
RB: Foster, Peterson,LeShoure, Wilson, Mathews
WR: Bryant, Moore, Fitz
TE: Hernandez
D/ST: Pittsburgh, NYJ
K: Janikowski
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby wtr23 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm

My thoughts as well. There's no better feeling than being down 10 or 15 points in H2H on Monday night, and your player goes off helping you snatch the win from your opponent. I also like the fact that you know who you are playing when, whether or not bye weeks play in your favor or not, and many of the other variables that make H2H the great format it is. It's hard to talk trash when you're playing against the entire league :-D
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 224)

Postby Papa Deuce » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Doctor P wrote:I understand the gripe...but really, how much fun are you having in your total points league on a week to week basis. Do you jump up and down when you score the 3rd most points in a 10 team league, talk trash to whoever scored 4th that week?

Again, I do agree that going strictly by points is the most fair, but it's also the most boring....

That is why we make weekly side bets.... things like a case of beer, a cigar, a round of golf.....
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby FirstCoast » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 am

I like H2H myself, it's just more fun. Luck is apart of the game sure, but good management and scouting goes a long way to winning. I'm 8-4, in the semifinals, and have the most points for and PPG in my league because I was proactive in finding players and researching. Are your playoffs still based on points, or are they H2H?
2012 FF League Champion
2012 FF League Scoring Title
2012, 2013 March Madness Champions
FirstCoast
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Papa Deuce » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:53 pm

FirstCoast wrote:I like H2H myself, it's just more fun. Luck is apart of the game sure, but good management and scouting goes a long way to winning. I'm 8-4, in the semifinals, and have the most points for and PPG in my league because I was proactive in finding players and researching. Are your playoffs still based on points, or are they H2H?

We don't have playoffs. Every team plays until and including week 17. I was was saying that IF we had playoffs, I would have lost to the 9th place team, who has a better record than I do, and I have the 2nd place team right now. The way I see it, the whole point of fantasy football is to draft the best team you can... well, his team sucks, but it seems that when other teams play him, they just have worse weeks. I think the 9th place guy is only about 10 points above the last place guy.

We have 5 teams that have 1350+ points. The leader has just under 1600 points. A team with just over 1000 points has no business being in playoffs, which, if we were H2H, he would be, and I would have been out of them.
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby T-Lo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Everyone has their own opinions. I've read into victory points leagues and that sounds the most balanced. I think total points would be dumb and uninteresting.

Having to adjust week to week and being more uncertain about it is what makes it so enjoyable (and at times dreadful) to me. Managing your roster in H2H to win, even if you are lower on total points, is fine by me.
T-Lo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 68)

Postby Papa Deuce » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:46 pm

T-Lo wrote:Everyone has their own opinions. I've read into victory points leagues and that sounds the most balanced. I think total points would be dumb and uninteresting.

Having to adjust week to week and being more uncertain about it is what makes it so enjoyable (and at times dreadful) to me. Managing your roster in H2H to win, even if you are lower on total points, is fine by me.

What? You don't attempt to play your best team every week, regardless of game style?
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Papa Deuce » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:26 am

Papa Deuce wrote:
T-Lo wrote:Everyone has their own opinions. I've read into victory points leagues and that sounds the most balanced. I think total points would be dumb and uninteresting.

What? You don't attempt to play your best team every week, regardless of game style?

Oh, re-reading this, I don't think you know how total points leagues work.... You draft ( in our league anyway ) 4 QBs, 6 WR, 6 RB, 2 TE, 2 K, and 2 D.

Each week you play 1 QB, 2 RB, 3WR. 1 TE, 1K, and 1 D...... Total points are added up for each weeks for only the people you start. Then you add up all 17 weeks of starting players. The winner is the one who has the highest total points by starters for all 17 weeks combined.
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby AdamB5000 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:47 am

I agree that it can be frustrating. Luck plays a factor. We experienced it this year in our 14 team league. A person with the 4th fewest points (11th of 14) happened to have the fewest scored against her at the end of the season. The team finished 9-4.

Conversely, the team with the most points scored finished 7-6, 2nd most points finished 6-7 and 3rd most points finished 6-7. I had the 4th most points and finished 7-6.

And wouldn't you know, that low scoring 9-4 team had to face the highest scorer in the league in the first round of the playoffs. The high team laid an egg, which is very unusual for that strong team, and Cam Newton went off to give her the win.

It's actually pretty frustrating to see a team that weak in terms of points scored advance so far, but that is also what makes this style of game play interesting. If we just added up point for the year it would make Sundays a snoozefest.
AdamB5000
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum