H2H is just dumb. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

H2H is just dumb.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: H2H is just dumb.

Postby Papa Deuce » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:22 pm

AdamB5000 wrote:......

It's actually pretty frustrating to see a team that weak in terms of points scored advance so far, but that is also what makes this style of game play interesting. If we just added up point for the year it would make Sundays a snoozefest.

I guess I don't see it that way.... I check the scores 15x a day, and find it interesting.
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AdamB5000 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 am

Fair enough. I could be out of line with my "snoozefest" comment as I've never actually played a straight up high score league. I am assuming and we know what that means.
AdamB5000
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby FirstCoast » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:52 am

I agree as well that total points wouldn't be as fun. If that were the case I would've won my league by now, but H2H forces you to strategize more, to overcome more. Winning in H2H is more of a challenge, and makes it way more interesting. The #2 seed in our league was 7th out of 10 in total points and PPG, but happened to have a lot of luck during the year. That's just how it breaks sometimes.
2012 FF League Champion
2012 FF League Scoring Title
2012, 2013 March Madness Champions
FirstCoast
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Papa Deuce » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:05 pm

AdamB5000 wrote:Fair enough. I could be out of line with my "snoozefest" comment as I've never actually played a straight up high score league. I am assuming and we know what that means.

Oh, and I actually forgot....we have weekly payouts of $50 to the weekly winner.... so there is some added fun.
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Papa Deuce » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:07 pm

FirstCoast wrote:I agree as well that total points wouldn't be as fun. If that were the case I would've won my league by now, but H2H forces you to strategize more, to overcome more. Winning in H2H is more of a challenge, and makes it way more interesting. The #2 seed in our league was 7th out of 10 in total points and PPG, but happened to have a lot of luck during the year. That's just how it breaks sometimes.

How so? Don't you ALWAYS try to play your best players every week?

I can maybe see somebody saying it is more fun, but I can't agree with how it is more strategy or there is more to overcome.
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby oscar15 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Hybrid League is the only way to go!
oscar15
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AdamB5000 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:30 am

oscar15 wrote:Hybrid League is the only way to go!

How so? Like "Victory Points?" I read about that recently and that may be what you mean. It recognizes/awards points each week for high scoring teams as well as winners. It's definitely an interesting take. I'm not sure if websites (nfl.com or espn.com) offer it as a scoring option, but if they did it might be more popular.

With Victory Points our #3 seed this year would have been #8. She had the fewest points scored against her, scored the 4th fewest points but ended up 9-4, tied for the 2nd best record. She had fantastic luck. But as was said earlier, sometimes that's how it goes. She won her last four regular season games without breaking 80 points (default scoring). Four teams that averaged 98 or more points/week finished no better than 7-6. It was an odd year.
AdamB5000
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby oscar15 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:22 pm

AdamB5000 wrote:
oscar15 wrote:Hybrid League is the only way to go!

How so? Like "Victory Points?" I read about that recently and that may be what you mean. It recognizes/awards points each week for high scoring teams as well as winners. It's definitely an interesting take. I'm not sure if websites (nfl.com or espn.com) offer it as a scoring option, but if they did it might be more popular.

With Victory Points our #3 seed this year would have been #8. She had the fewest points scored against her, scored the 4th fewest points but ended up 9-4, tied for the 2nd best record. She had fantastic luck. But as was said earlier, sometimes that's how it goes. She won her last four regular season games without breaking 80 points (default scoring). Four teams that averaged 98 or more points/week finished no better than 7-6. It was an odd year.

We have a 14 team league with a $100 entry fee.
6 Teams Qualify for Playoffs (3 best records and 3 top total points). If a team, or teams, qualify in both record and points we drop down the 4th, 5th, and 6th most total points until we have six teams. (thinking about tweaking this formula next year for more balance between Record and Total Points)
The actual playoffs are straight H2H.

We Crown a Regular Season Champion (best record) $$
We Crown a Total Points Champion (most total points) $$
We Crown an Overall League Champion ((Playoff Winner) $$$$

To keep as many teams active as possible, we have "extra" contest throughout the season
1. Fantasy Survivor - Low scoring team eliminated each week until only one remains. $
2. 4 Single Elimination Tournaments that run 4 weeks each (4X4 Tournaments). Schedule runs like this: First Week: Top eight scores advance. Second Week: Quarterfinals Third Week: Semi Finals Fourth Week: Finals. Teams are seeded based on their scores in the first week of the tournament. In a 16 week NFL schedule you can have 4 Single Elimination Tournaments. $
3. Weekly Total Points Winner

We tried Victory Points (our own version) and although I think it is the best measure for determining a champion, it had all the excitement of a BCS computer champion! (not in a good way)

Since we have switched to our current system....zero complaints.

We use myfantasyleague.com. We do not mind the fee because it allows for the most customization.
oscar15
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AdamB5000 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:19 pm

That's good info. Thanks for that. I might take an idea or two from that. Thank you.
AdamB5000
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby DFWallace » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:15 pm

FirstCoast wrote:I like H2H myself, it's just more fun. Luck is apart of the game sure, but good management and scouting goes a long way to winning. I'm 8-4, in the semifinals, and have the most points for and PPG in my league because I was proactive in finding players and researching. Are your playoffs still based on points, or are they H2H?

First Coast...

Where did you get the VERY COOL Cecil Shorts avatar in your 'sig'?
DFWallace Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's Forum