H2H is just dumb. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

H2H is just dumb.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: H2H is just dumb.

Postby sorcerer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:11 am

I just wanted to chime in with my two cents. I don’t believe that any format is “just dumb”. The whole point of fantasy football is to have fun. I’ve run across numerous formats in my 20+ years of playing and administrating and each seem to have their own unique draw.

In my primary league we use a form of “Victory Points” that we call Standing Points. Our scoring is a bit lower than standard scoring with TD’s worth 3 points, Passing TD’s worth 2 points and yardage thresholds being set at 30 yards rushing/receiving and 75 yards passing. Teams receive 3 standing points for a win, 1 for a tie. They also receive 1 standing point for each full 10 points scored in a week. Additionally we do some handicapping of NFL games (so sue me, we started this league in Nevada where betting on football is legal) for a few bonus standing points. We also include a Weekly Pot for the high scorer to keep teams that are out of it interested. It’s a 24 team league.

We just completed our 16 game regular season and are about to begin our playoffs. The #1 Seed (13-3) was the team that scored the most points (675) during the season. The #2 Seeded (13-3) team scored the 2nd most amount of points (644). The 5th Seed (10-6) scored the 3rd most points in the league. Out of the eight playoff teams, seven of them were amongst the league’s top eight scorers. The only team to miss the cut was the 7th highest scoring team (8-8) and they only missed it by half a standing point.

My point is that we prefer H-2-H because of the fun of it and recognized a few years back that we could tweak our standings with Standing Points to insure (in most cases) that the best teams in the league went to the playoffs. High Point totals and Head-to-Head can coexist and I believe that something like this might suit you and your league and give you the outcomes you are looking for.
sorcerer
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: H2H is just dumb.

Postby Papa Deuce » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Why do you need a system to define head to head? You can keep track of that on the side if you find it fun. There is - IMO - no way a team with the 2nd to last points should even get a sniff at playoffs. Shouldn't even spell it if they get spotted the P, L , A. Y, O, and the S.

In H2H side bets this year I have won 2 cigars, $100, a case of beer, and a bottle of vodka. And I don't have to worry about some 9th place team getting in the playoffs. As it stands, I look to end the season in 2nd place... which actually to me stinks worse than finishing 9th...... because at least in our league, that means I will draft 9th in the first 5 rounds next year, while the guy who finishes 9, will draft 2nd for those rounds next year.

And if people don't like side bets, they just don't make any. OK, I know that I have more than had my say. Thanks for listening.
Papa Deuce
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Beginner's Forum