Playoff tiebreaker - Need objective opinions (please)! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Playoff tiebreaker - Need objective opinions (please)!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playoff tiebreaker - Need objective opinions (please)!

Postby teofive » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Our league has been running for about ten (plus) years now and we've never had a playoff game end in a tie... until now. In fact, it had never occurred to us to even discuss what would happen if two teams were to tie in the playoffs. As of now, I think we're going to to take a league vote between overall points and head-to-head as the deciding factor. It's a 12-team, standard scoring league (with a 14, 15, 16 playoff schedule).

So, basically, I just wanted to come here to get some objective opinions on the matter. Would you vote overall points or head-to-head as the clincher, and why? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
teofive
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Playoff tiebreaker - Need objective opinions (please)!

Postby ironcityboy88 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 am

Easiest to use bench points as tiebreaker
ironcityboy88
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby machine3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:36 pm

In my opinion, all ties in the playoffs should go to the higher seeded team (home field advantage).
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hags888 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 pm

machine3 wrote:In my opinion, all ties in the playoffs should go to the higher seeded team (home field advantage).

This. Bench points is an interesting idea, but essentially meaningless. If you didn't choose to start the guy, then you don't get their points...ever. My league is set to use higher seeded team to advance in the case of a tie.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigmck » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:56 pm

ESPN uses higher seed as the winner.
bigmck
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Script-Ohio » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 am

I've never liked bench points as a tiebreaker. Especially in the playoffs it encourages you to say...dump your backups and pick up a few extra QBs since they score more. I don't see why someone who takes a few extra QBs should get a win over the guy who keeps his backups basically intact. I guess I like the "higher seed" wins. Of course, just turn on fractional points and it's virtually impossible to tie anyway which is what I'd really suggest for the future.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby wtr23 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Script-Ohio wrote:I've never liked bench points as a tiebreaker. Especially in the playoffs it encourages you to say...dump your backups and pick up a few extra QBs since they score more. I don't see why someone who takes a few extra QBs should get a win over the guy who keeps his backups basically intact. I guess I like the "higher seed" wins. Of course, just turn on fractional points and it's virtually impossible to tie anyway which is what I'd really suggest for the future.

This. We have fractional points in our league, never had to worry about tiebreakers (closest win was by .27 pts). No need to worry about these situations, the better team will win (if only by a hair).
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 237)

Return to Commissioner's Corner