What do I keep doing wrong in my fantasy football career? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

What do I keep doing wrong in my fantasy football career?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What do I keep doing wrong in my fantasy football career?

Postby bigdogg712 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Alright, so I have played Fantasy Football for the past three seasons (2010-2012). I have yet to have a winning season, nonetheless make the playoffs. I have a combined record of 15-24. Somethings gotta change. Im not sure what I am doing wrong. I have written out all of my past 3 drafts, along with my teams at the end of the year.

Granted, my first year playing was also my first year watching, reading about, or even saying the word “football.” My draft basically went with who I had heard of. I knew Brees because he was on the cover of Madden (so he must be good, right?!?), and I didnt know about the curse. I knew about Randy Moss because he is my cousin’s favorite player, and we all know what happened that year (Pats, Vikings, and Titans, right?). I knew Ochocinco because of his awesome name. I knew Farve, Tomlinson, and McNabb just because they had all been in the league for 50 years. I literally knew nobody else, or at least didn't recognize their names.

All the leagues start the standard QB/2RB/2WR/FLEX/TE/DST/K and use ESPN standard scoring. The 2010 league is the only one with 8 people, 2011 and 2012 both had 10 teams.

Season 1: 2010
Teams: 8
Pick: 7th

Draft:
1(7)- Brees
2(10)- Moss
3(23)- Marshall
4(26)- Benson
5(39)- Ochocinco
6(42)- Reggie Bush
7(55)- Celek
8(58)- Eagles DST
9(71)- Kaeding
10(74)- Jerome Harrison
11(87)- McNabb
12(90)- Tomlinson
13(103)- Shaincoe
14(106)- Farve
15(119)- Portis
16(122)- Fred Jackson

Ending Roster:
QB- Brees, Roethlisberger
RB- Blount, Torain, Benson, Stewart
WR- Calvin Johnson, Wallace, Marshall, Welker, Ohcocinco, Ward, Fitzgerald
TE- Davis
DST- Giants
K- Akers

Ending Record: 6-7
Playoffs: NO

Season 2: 2011
Teams: 10
Pick: 10th

Draft:
1(10)- Mendenhall
2(11)- Turner
3(30)- DeSean Jackson
4(31)- Bowe
5(50)- Roethlisberger
6(51)- Holmes
7(70)- Daniels
8(71)- Steelers DST
9(90)- Knox
10(91)- Starks
11(110)- James Jones
12(111)- Ricky Williams
13(130)- Amendola
14(131)- Evans
15(150)- Sanchez
16(151)- Henery

Ending Roster:
QB- Roethlisberger, Orton
RB- Turner, Jones-Drew, Kahlil Bell, DeAngelo Williams, Tolbert
WR- DeSean Jackson, White, Cruz, Brown, Santana Moss
TE- Celek, Daniels
DST- Steelers
K- Akers

Ending Record: 5-7

Season 3: 2012
Teams: 10
Pick: 4th

Draft:
1(4)- Foster
2(17)- Charles
3(24)- Nicks
4(37)- Julio Jones
5(44)- Lloyd
6(57)- Rivers
7(64)- Demaryius Thomas
8(77)- Ingram
9(84)- Hillis
10(97)- Britt
11(104)- Wilson
12(117)- Tamme
13(124)- Flacco
14(137)- Jets DST
15(144)- Ryan Williams
16(157)- Prater

Ending Roster:
QB- Brees, Palmer
RB- Foster, Charles, Wells, Moreno, DeAngelo Williams, Wilson
WR- Thomas, Colston, Williams, Lloyd, Jennings
TE- Davis
DST- Seahawks
K- Tynes

Ending Record: 4-10

Hopefully you can tell me what trends you notice in my drafts and final teams, and possibly how I can improve in fantasy football overall.
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What do I keep doing wrong in my fantasy football career

Postby bounce » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:31 am

There's nothing you're doing wrong - all the teams are decent. It's just the ebb and flow of fantasy football. Injuries and players under/over achieving is how leagues are won and lost. The draft is the least important part of fantasy football. Playing the wire, to me, is more important. Anyone who is fairly aware of the NFL can draft a good team.
bounce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bigdogg712 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:53 am

bounce wrote:There's nothing you're doing wrong - all the teams are decent. It's just the ebb and flow of fantasy football. Injuries and players under/over achieving is how leagues are won and lost. The draft is the least important part of fantasy football. Playing the wire, to me, is more important. Anyone who is fairly aware of the NFL can draft a good team.

After year 1, I basically devoted myself to learning football. I now can tell you basically any stat you want, any rule, and player, anything. NFL network has become my absolute favorite channel, even in the offseason! IF you think I'm doing things right, then why haven't I made the playoffs yet, or even had a winning season?
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AdamB5000 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 pm

More importantly how did you do points-wise in the last two years? My brother was 3rd in points this year but finished 6-7. Often times luck has a lot to do with it.

And I was going to say that this year's team looked pretty good for you, but then it's a ten team league. I played in a 14 team league this year and my bro's team looked just as strong as yours.

My new advice to most people regarding a fantasy issue is "figure it out." It's not to be mean, but when I hear about people in my league checking what websites and radio shows recommend what players they should play, I ask myself, "Who is managing their team? The tv show or the owner?" I haven't paid attention to any "recommendation" sites or tv shows or radio shows or projection points this year and I scored more points this year than I ever have.

I've also played for three years. My records have been 4-9, 7-6 and 7-6, but I feel like I have a far better grasp than when I started. My record may not exactly show it, but my points kind of do and I feel it.

I hate to be that guy, but sometimes the best advice I've ever received is "figure it out." There isn't always one definite reason or one easy answer.

Best of luck. Do not give up.

But I'll give you my opinion... my thoughts of your draft as I may have seen them entering the season and how they've panned out.

Draft:
1(4)- Foster - He fell to 4th? Nice.
2(17)- Charles - A risky pick coming of surgery. Well played.
3(24)- Nicks - Meh. He has ups and downs, mostly downs. There are better receivers in this round.
4(37)- Julio Jones - Nice pick. He's underperformed my (and others') expectations.
5(44)- Lloyd - Most WRs not named Welker are a bust in N.E.
6(57)- Rivers - After a rough year, I can see how some would expect him to bounce back. Not so much. Bad starting QB. But this deep it's not a bad option heading into week 1.
7(64)- Demaryius Thomas - Strong pick in this round. Very strong, IMO. He went earlier in the leagues I played.
8(77)- Ingram - Not likely to see many touches.
9(84)- Hillis - I laughed to myself when my eldeset brother drafted him in a similar round.
10(97)- Britt - Not a bad late round pick/gamble.
11(104)- Wilson David? I gambled on him. Russell? Not a bad gamble for a high energy QB.
12(117)- Tamme - Okay at best. I drafted him this late in one of my leagues. Didn't pan out.
13(124)- Flacco - Not bad for a late round backup.
14(137)- Jets DST - I stick to the last two rounds for a D & kicker. NYJ felt like a safe play this year with not much hype.
15(144)- Ryan Williams - Had potential. Didn't pan out.
16(157)- Prater - Everyone needs a kicker. :)

RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, QB, WR, RB, RB, WR, RB/QB, TE, QB, DEF, RB, K

I don't see a huge problem with your approach. Taking a QB in the late rounds isn't a bad strategy at all, IMO. Waiting so long for a TE is a gamble (waiting for any starting spot is a gamble). I see how one would think Tamme would be strong with Peyton, but other than that and a few semi-weak early round WR picks (Lloyd, Nicks), I don't think you did a terrible job. Just reflect on this year and get all jacked up for next year. :) Don't dwell on a bad season. Look forward to the next.
AdamB5000
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bigdogg712 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:18 pm

AdamB5000 wrote:More importantly how did you do points-wise in the last two years? My brother was 3rd in points this year but finished 6-7. Often times luck has a lot to do with it.

And I was going to say that this year's team looked pretty good for you, but then it's a ten team league. I played in a 14 team league this year and my bro's team looked just as strong as yours.

My new advice to most people regarding a fantasy issue is "figure it out." It's not to be mean, but when I hear about people in my league checking what websites and radio shows recommend what players they should play, I ask myself, "Who is managing their team? The tv show or the owner?" I haven't paid attention to any "recommendation" sites or tv shows or radio shows or projection points this year and I scored more points this year than I ever have.

I've also played for three years. My records have been 4-9, 7-6 and 7-6, but I feel like I have a far better grasp than when I started. My record may not exactly show it, but my points kind of do and I feel it.

I hate to be that guy, but sometimes the best advice I've ever received is "figure it out." There isn't always one definite reason or one easy answer.

Best of luck. Do not give up.

But I'll give you my opinion... my thoughts of your draft as I may have seen them entering the season and how they've panned out.

Draft:
1(4)- Foster - He fell to 4th? Nice.
2(17)- Charles - A risky pick coming of surgery. Well played.
3(24)- Nicks - Meh. He has ups and downs, mostly downs. There are better receivers in this round.
4(37)- Julio Jones - Nice pick. He's underperformed my (and others') expectations.
5(44)- Lloyd - Most WRs not named Welker are a bust in N.E.
6(57)- Rivers - After a rough year, I can see how some would expect him to bounce back. Not so much. Bad starting QB. But this deep it's not a bad option heading into week 1.
7(64)- Demaryius Thomas - Strong pick in this round. Very strong, IMO. He went earlier in the leagues I played.
8(77)- Ingram - Not likely to see many touches.
9(84)- Hillis - I laughed to myself when my eldeset brother drafted him in a similar round.
10(97)- Britt - Not a bad late round pick/gamble.
11(104)- Wilson David? I gambled on him. Russell? Not a bad gamble for a high energy QB.
12(117)- Tamme - Okay at best. I drafted him this late in one of my leagues. Didn't pan out.
13(124)- Flacco - Not bad for a late round backup.
14(137)- Jets DST - I stick to the last two rounds for a D & kicker. NYJ felt like a safe play this year with not much hype.
15(144)- Ryan Williams - Had potential. Didn't pan out.
16(157)- Prater - Everyone needs a kicker. :)

RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, QB, WR, RB, RB, WR, RB/QB, TE, QB, DEF, RB, K

I don't see a huge problem with your approach. Taking a QB in the late rounds isn't a bad strategy at all, IMO. Waiting so long for a TE is a gamble (waiting for any starting spot is a gamble). I see how one would think Tamme would be strong with Peyton, but other than that and a few semi-weak early round WR picks (Lloyd, Nicks), I don't think you did a terrible job. Just reflect on this year and get all jacked up for next year. :) Don't dwell on a bad season. Look forward to the next.

For TE, I decided that since I didn't get Davis, Finley, or Hernandez late, I would just wait on someone and grab one off the waivers. Luckily, I was able to grab Davis in a trade later in the season, but it didn't really help. Charles may be my worst pick ever. I got excited that he fell to me, and was too worried about Peterson, who was also sitting there. :(
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AdamB5000 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:15 am

Don't feel too bad. You're not the only one to overlook Adrian due to some injury fear. He went to at least the 2nd round in my leagues, in some cases early in the 3rd.
AdamB5000
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Beginner's Forum