What do I keep doing wrong in my fantasy football career? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What do I keep doing wrong in my fantasy football career?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What do I keep doing wrong in my fantasy football career?

Postby bigdogg712 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Alright, so I have played Fantasy Football for the past three seasons (2010-2012). I have yet to have a winning season, nonetheless make the playoffs. I have a combined record of 15-24. Somethings gotta change. Im not sure what I am doing wrong. I have written out all of my past 3 drafts, along with my teams at the end of the year.

Granted, my first year playing was also my first year watching, reading about, or even saying the word “football.” My draft basically went with who I had heard of. I knew Brees because he was on the cover of Madden (so he must be good, right?!?), and I didnt know about the curse. I knew about Randy Moss because he is my cousin’s favorite player, and we all know what happened that year (Pats, Vikings, and Titans, right?). I knew Ochocinco because of his awesome name. I knew Farve, Tomlinson, and McNabb just because they had all been in the league for 50 years. I literally knew nobody else, or at least didn't recognize their names.

All the leagues start the standard QB/2RB/2WR/FLEX/TE/DST/K and use ESPN standard scoring. The 2010 league is the only one with 8 people, 2011 and 2012 both had 10 teams.

Season 1: 2010
Teams: 8
Pick: 7th

Draft:
1(7)- Brees
2(10)- Moss
3(23)- Marshall
4(26)- Benson
5(39)- Ochocinco
6(42)- Reggie Bush
7(55)- Celek
8(58)- Eagles DST
9(71)- Kaeding
10(74)- Jerome Harrison
11(87)- McNabb
12(90)- Tomlinson
13(103)- Shaincoe
14(106)- Farve
15(119)- Portis
16(122)- Fred Jackson

Ending Roster:
QB- Brees, Roethlisberger
RB- Blount, Torain, Benson, Stewart
WR- Calvin Johnson, Wallace, Marshall, Welker, Ohcocinco, Ward, Fitzgerald
TE- Davis
DST- Giants
K- Akers

Ending Record: 6-7
Playoffs: NO

Season 2: 2011
Teams: 10
Pick: 10th

Draft:
1(10)- Mendenhall
2(11)- Turner
3(30)- DeSean Jackson
4(31)- Bowe
5(50)- Roethlisberger
6(51)- Holmes
7(70)- Daniels
8(71)- Steelers DST
9(90)- Knox
10(91)- Starks
11(110)- James Jones
12(111)- Ricky Williams
13(130)- Amendola
14(131)- Evans
15(150)- Sanchez
16(151)- Henery

Ending Roster:
QB- Roethlisberger, Orton
RB- Turner, Jones-Drew, Kahlil Bell, DeAngelo Williams, Tolbert
WR- DeSean Jackson, White, Cruz, Brown, Santana Moss
TE- Celek, Daniels
DST- Steelers
K- Akers

Ending Record: 5-7

Season 3: 2012
Teams: 10
Pick: 4th

Draft:
1(4)- Foster
2(17)- Charles
3(24)- Nicks
4(37)- Julio Jones
5(44)- Lloyd
6(57)- Rivers
7(64)- Demaryius Thomas
8(77)- Ingram
9(84)- Hillis
10(97)- Britt
11(104)- Wilson
12(117)- Tamme
13(124)- Flacco
14(137)- Jets DST
15(144)- Ryan Williams
16(157)- Prater

Ending Roster:
QB- Brees, Palmer
RB- Foster, Charles, Wells, Moreno, DeAngelo Williams, Wilson
WR- Thomas, Colston, Williams, Lloyd, Jennings
TE- Davis
DST- Seahawks
K- Tynes

Ending Record: 4-10

Hopefully you can tell me what trends you notice in my drafts and final teams, and possibly how I can improve in fantasy football overall.
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What do I keep doing wrong in my fantasy football career

Postby Free John Beck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:51 am

I don't have the attention span to remember much from 2010 or 2011, but I'd say that your final team for 2012 is very strong and would compete for a title if you were in the playoffs. Obviously, Charles was a disapointment most of the year and Nicks was hurt alot, but that would be a scary lineup to face in a playoff game this week. Tamme/Davis both a little weak at the TE position though.

You obviously made some good trades. How did you get Brees and Colston without giving up Foster or Charles?
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bigdogg712 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Free John Beck wrote:I don't have the attention span to remember much from 2010 or 2011, but I'd say that your final team for 2012 is very strong and would compete for a title if you were in the playoffs. Obviously, Charles was a disapointment most of the year and Nicks was hurt alot, but that would be a scary lineup to face in a playoff game this week. Tamme/Davis both a little weak at the TE position though.

You obviously made some good trades. How did you get Brees and Colston without giving up Foster or Charles?

I just got Brees a few weeks ago. Maybe 4 or 5 weeks. I gave up my Dalton, Julio, and Ronnie Hillman (the was the week after McGahee went down, so Hillman was through to see most of the carries. This guy had McGahee, so he needed his backup.) in exchange for his Brees, and Jonathan Stewart. The Colston thing was unbelievable. I had the top waiver spot, and week 3 or 4 of the season, the newest member of our league (basically the "me of 2010" in 2012) had dropped him due to injury and lack of production, thinking he was just some guy. I had checked and grabbed him. I felt unreal!
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 45)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:04 pm

FFball is half skill to prognosticate the players with the best chance to do well. The other half is luck. My team was bad all year this year in my money league but somehow I hung in there and made the playoffs. First week I would have beat everybody (including the 2 bye week teams) except the team I played who had Seattle Def and beat me by .12. This week of course I completely destroy everybody and I only scored as much as I did last week.

Injuries are unpredictable, how well the team you play does is unpredictable. So much can happen out of your control. Its tough for it all to go just right.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby moochman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 pm

To quote the Loveable Losers of the Baseball cafe - "Fantasy football, nothin but a random monkey humping luckfest."

Only in FFB do so many choose well on draft day only to look back, scratching their heads in wonderment over where they went wrong. You need a balace of stud producers mixed with high risk/high reward players. You need the wisdom of knowing who to play and who to sit. Then of course you need blessing of the fates: good health and a good schedule.

Tips: Unless you get the stud de jour D, wait until the last couple rounds to pick one.
Could load up on RBs a bit more early.
Take more chances later in draft. Example, last year you took Evans late, known poisen no? What if you paid attention (like I did but failed to act on quickly enough) to preseason and took a shot at an unknown WR getting lots of love? Wouldn't Cruz have worked well there? If he busted, you have an opening for WW bingo. GL in the future.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 am

i can see the progression in your drafts year to year. and i really like your draft this year. Rbs early, mid rd QB, a good amount of WRs.

im actually surprised you didnt make teh playoffs this year. i guess Rivers screwed you huh. that happened to me in a league this year as well.

i am a frequenter of both the football and baseball sides...and unfortunately yes, football is a lot luck. with such a short season, a couple close losses could mean you miss teh playoffs. in every league every year, there is at leats 1 team that scores a lot overall, but misses the playoffs bc he always seems to matchup w the team that goes bananas that week. example, last week i scored the second highest point total for a team all season in the 1st week of the playoffs, only to lose bc the other team scores the highest amount. amazing. yes, i was teh one team in america that had Sea Def last week and lost

i like to reflect and judge my team by total points scored, not only record or success in the playoffs
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free John Beck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:49 am

This week was proof of how you can have a great team, yet it doesn't matter. Guys who likely got people to the playoffs all year pulled no-shows yesterday. For example................

Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning, Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Jamaal Charles, Doug Martin, Demariyus Thomas, Ray Rice, Reggie Wayne, RG3, Jordy Nelson, Ahmad Bradshaw.

As a fantasy owner, you can only control so much.
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby kodadog » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Luck, you have to have it. This year a team in on of my leagues had the 2nd most points and didn't make the playoffs due to the fact that he had the most points against. I finished in last place one year and if I would of played the same schedule as the first place team I would off finished 10-4. Also, do a lot of research. A couple of years ago I I got a RB in like the 6th round that I had been hearing good things about. That running back was Adrian Foster, this year I picked up D Martin in the 4th: research. Sometimes you have to know when to follow your heart or head. Sometimes you have to take a player you really hate personally but hey they put up points or take a player you just really like: my son took Brady one year with like the 3rd pick (I told him it was to early for Brady, but favorite player) and 50 TD's later it looked like a good pick. With injuries and everything else, draft the best you can and hope for LUCK.
kodadog
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:42 pm

kodadog wrote:Luck, you have to have it. This year a team in on of my leagues had the 2nd most points and didn't make the playoffs due to the fact that he had the most points against. I finished in last place one year and if I would of played the same schedule as the first place team I would off finished 10-4. Also, do a lot of research. A couple of years ago I I got a RB in like the 6th round that I had been hearing good things about. That running back was Adrian Foster, this year I picked up D Martin in the 4th: research. Sometimes you have to know when to follow your heart or head. Sometimes you have to take a player you really hate personally but hey they put up points or take a player you just really like: my son took Brady one year with like the 3rd pick (I told him it was to early for Brady, but favorite player) and 50 TD's later it looked like a good pick. With injuries and everything else, draft the best you can and hope for LUCK.

yes good advice. take a guy earlier than his ADP if you like him. screw everyone else if they mock you. now dont go crazy and pick your dark horse kicker in the 3rd rd...but its ok to take a guy a round or 2 earlier than expected if you like him

also, in season advice....take a chance on that hot player on waivers teh first few weeks. i got alfred morris off waver week 2 and it turned out great. dont be afraid to drop that WR last on your bench who is doomed to get 4 pts each week for the WR that just got 2 TDs week 1. they dont always pan out, but when they do...thats how championship teams are made
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CRob44 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:31 pm

every league im in the team that wins is usually someone that waits for there qb.

qb is so deep

quit taking qb early, in fact, ive never taken a qb before round 5 and that is over 400 fantasy leagues

Get a #1 rb and wr with your 1st 2 picks, never draft a k or d early, always take them last 2 rounds.
Always handcuff your starting rb

dont draft players off teams with questions at qb and o line. That would mean no larry fitz on your team
or anyone on the eagles.
CRob44
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Next

Return to Football Talk