Need a ruling please - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need a ruling please

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need a ruling please

Postby goingdeep2012 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:49 pm

In my 12-team 3 division league one player failed to pay his entry fee until after week 1 was complete and I adjusted his week 1 total so he took a loss. This rule has been in place for over ten years, guarantees payment and has never been necessary until this year. Other than the player who was penalized no other league members objected to the one game penalty and I upheld my call. Now that the first round of the playoffs are complete the #2 seed, who lost in the 1st round, is making a stink that the seedings were altered because of the penalty and he should be playing in the championship round because he would have beat #4 as the top seed. The prize pool for the championship round is significantly larger than for the consolation round. The team who received the penalty win in week 1 is the #1 seed, playing me in the championship round and to complicate things........ were married.

I want to do the right thing here..........

Commish in a squish
goingdeep2012
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need a ruling please

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:02 pm

goingdeep2012 wrote: This rule has been in place for over ten years,

the marriage/etc aside, this is what matters. the rules are spelled out? everyone agrees to them? then they forfeit their right to complain.

that said, I would not support a rule that grants wins to teams based on league dues. Maybe that's common in money leagues and I just don't know about it because mine are all friendly low stakes. Winning/losing should be done on the field and left on the field.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Cards24 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:50 pm

goingdeep2012 wrote:This rule has been in place for over ten years...

Enough said. Rules are set so they are followed.
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AdamB5000 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:39 am

I agree. Whether or not it's a good rule is a different discussion. It's been in place so that's how it goes. Someone just has sour grapes.

Conversely, in our league our commish messed up and let offensive players get points for defensive plays (tackles after a pick, fumble recovering, etc). It wasn't supposed to be that way and I brought it to his attention before halftime of the first game of the year. He finally changed it after week three, but then changed it back. He goofed up, but left it, which I think was highly inappropriate.

This year he also pushed a trade through a mere hours after it was made because his wife "thought it would have been approved before Thursday, which is when she needed the defense." Again, he skirted rules that have been in place.

That stuff I'd gripe about. Rules that have been in place need to be challenged in the off season, not in the playoffs. And if there are rules, they should remain in place for the season in 99.9% of the cases.
AdamB5000
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Commissioner's Corner