Championship - Charles, Ballard, Bryant, Decker, Amendola - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Championship - Charles, Ballard, Bryant, Decker, Amendola

Moderator: Football Moderators

Championship - Charles, Ballard, Bryant, Decker, Amendola

Postby dgcesq » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm having significant problems making a decision. I start 2RBs, 2WRs, and a Flex. This is for the championship.

Morris vs. PHI: Been my best RB all season, and his carries have increased. He's the RB I'm committed to.
J. Charles: vs. IND - Stud, playing a weak defense (IND). However, it's clear KC doesn't know how to use him. Only 9 carries last week. 9 CARRIES? REALLY? I'm hesitant because he has great upside, but if he scores only 2.9 like last week, I'll lose. I don't usually bench a stud, and I drafted him as a stud, but I could easily sit him this week if he wasn't playing such a crummy defense. On the up side, he generally bounces back in a BIG way. I'm having trouble with this position.
V. Ballard vs. KC: Not the season long starter, but he's playing a defense that's become pretty porous. Luck is not having huge passing games, so IND will be running all day. I'd bet on him having the biggest day of his season. So start him instead of Charles or at flex?

D. Bryant v. NO : Stud WR, playing an awful defense, and this is to make the playoffs. Even Romo can't screw this up. Even with finger, I'm pretty solid on him having a big day.
E. Decker v CLE: Until last week, he'd been pretty mediocre. Last week, got it together, has manning throwing to him, and will be up against a generous defense.
Amendola v. TB: Foot's good, and he'd playing a TB team that's pretty much tossed in the towel on the season, and is the most generous team to opposing WRs.

I can make good arguments for all these guys. I can't seem to make a decision, though. Please help.

Dave
dgcesq
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Championship - Charles, Ballard, Bryant, Decker, Amendol

Postby dgcesq » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:03 pm

bump
dgcesq
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jacer333 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Morris, Charles
Bryant, Amendola
Decker

Please help with my situation: Amendola, Cecil Shorts, or Hakeem Nicks?
jacer333
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby djpursell » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 am

I would use Ballard over Charles. I think he has more to play for and also has the better consistency. The upside on Charles is higher but also much lower downside. Otherwise I'd play everyone else.
djpursell
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 9)

Postby dgcesq » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 am

As we get closer to 1pm, I can see myself starting to flip coins :-)
dgcesq
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby broseph jacobs » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:33 am

dgcesq wrote:I'm having significant problems making a decision. I start 2RBs, 2WRs, and a Flex. This is for the championship.

Morris vs. PHI: Been my best RB all season, and his carries have increased. He's the RB I'm committed to.
J. Charles: vs. IND - Stud, playing a weak defense (IND). However, it's clear KC doesn't know how to use him. Only 9 carries last week. 9 CARRIES? REALLY? I'm hesitant because he has great upside, but if he scores only 2.9 like last week, I'll lose. I don't usually bench a stud, and I drafted him as a stud, but I could easily sit him this week if he wasn't playing such a crummy defense. On the up side, he generally bounces back in a BIG way. I'm having trouble with this position.
V. Ballard vs. KC: Not the season long starter, but he's playing a defense that's become pretty porous. Luck is not having huge passing games, so IND will be running all day. I'd bet on him having the biggest day of his season. So start him instead of Charles or at flex?

D. Bryant v. NO : Stud WR, playing an awful defense, and this is to make the playoffs. Even Romo can't screw this up. Even with finger, I'm pretty solid on him having a big day.
E. Decker v CLE: Until last week, he'd been pretty mediocre. Last week, got it together, has manning throwing to him, and will be up against a generous defense.
Amendola v. TB: Foot's good, and he'd playing a TB team that's pretty much tossed in the towel on the season, and is the most generous team to opposing WRs.

I can make good arguments for all these guys. I can't seem to make a decision, though. Please help.

Dave

I have very similar issues to yours. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't just Jamaal who had a putrid outing last week, so I am playing for 3rd place today, not 1st. I have both Vick Ballard and Jamaal Charles. I also have Erick Decker. I am playing Ballard as my RB2, Charles as my Flex, and benching Decker. Here's why:

At first you have to just gawk at the Chiefs' "ball control", or lack thereof. And yes, Romeo has no idea how to use Jamaal by-and-large throughout the season. But, yes, he almost always does have a bounce-back game. Furthermore, he is - as you said - a stud of yours; and you know what happens when you bench your studs, right? (I benched Aaron Rodgers last week in favor of Josh Freeman. I... I don't wanna talk about it...) The Colts allow almost 5 YPC, and the bad games for Charles are few-and-far-between compared to his good games. Consider last week's gaff a rare bad game that is tempting you to bench a stud. Start 'em at Flex.

Vick Ballard has slowly come into his own over the season as opportunity has presented itself. I keep thinking of that amazing upside-down leap over the pylon to win in overtime 5 or 6 weeks ago. Amazing. Ballard's production has improved on a fairly consistent basis, and he produced double-digits last week against Houston's still fairly stout front 7. This week he'll tee-off against the awful Chiefs front seven, and he will likely have exactly what you said: a season-high fantasy production game this week. Start 'em at RB behind Alfred Morris (who you absolutely start).

No doubt Dez Bryant is a top-5 pick this week. Somehow the future awkward waver is still stepping it up as the regular season nears its close. Remember when Dez was considered for Waiver Wire fodder in the first part of the season? The guy is on fire, and up against a less-than-impressive New Orleans secondary. Start him without blinking.

I am benching Erick Decker, and you should too. Here's why: Decker's last week stat line was a fluke. As a Decker owner, I dont have to tell you that. As a Decker owner, you will also recall how the pendulum of points has swung back-and-forth between Decker and Thomas from game-to-game. I mean honestly, it's almost predictable: Most fantasy points out of the two, over the 1st 8 weeks of the season: Thomas / Thomas / Decker / Decker / Thomas / Decker / Thomas / Decker. Then, it went Thomas / Thomas / Thomas / Thomas / Decker / Decker. Okay, so ignoring all that "trend" stuff, here's a nugget for you: Thomas is the better receiver, he's been targeted more over the season, and he has a way better matchup. If the Browns lineup as they usually do, star cornerback Joe Haden will be covering Eric Decker, not Demaryius Thomas. That makes the sledding tougher for Decker, and allows Thomas to bounce-back from his worst producing week of the season. And he will. The rest of the Browns secondary is porous, and Manning will expose it. If Haden lines-up against Demaryius, it will be the first time he's lined-up on the right side all season long.

Danny Amendola is impressive. He will get the team-high targets this week - again - against the worst passing defense in the league.

I feel I have said enough.

RB1 Alfred Morris
RB2 Vick Ballard
WR1 Dez Bryant
WR2 Danny Amendola
Flex Jamaal Charles

Good luck!
- BrosePhD

QB: Romo
RB: Martin / Lynch / Lacy / Ridley / Wilson / Michael
WR: A Johnson / VJax / Gordon /Ja. Jones / Nicks / Douglas
TE: Clay