Schwartz on the hot seat? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Schwartz on the hot seat?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Schwartz on the hot seat?

Postby moochman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:39 pm

According to espn's Chris Mortenson the Lions braintrust is considering firing the Schwartz, fed up with failure to turn around a culture of undisciplind losing.
CBS link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... m-schwartz

Ford has been notoriously loyal to coaches, moreso GMs, but they might be less loyal to those who embarrass them. Also they have been very quick to try and fix a problem by scapegoating. Especially true with first time coaches. Consider Schwartz's embarrassing handshake gate, throwing the flag and the multiple off and on field problems with disciplin. His miraculous playoff season last year probably saves him, but if he follows it up with another loosey-goosey losing season next year he could be done.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Schwartz on the hot seat?

Postby stomperrob » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:03 pm

He's under contract until 2015, I don't see them giving up on him yet. There does need to be changes made to the rest of the coaching staff. Also a definite need to exercise more control over players behavior both on and off the filed, can't let the lunatics run the asylum!

December 31, 2012 at 1:05 pm
Lions' Jim Schwartz won't talk about job security: 'It's business as usual'
By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News

Allen Park — Actions sometimes speak louder than words.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz continues to withhold comment about his job security. But at the same time, he's already elbows-deep into the end-of-season evaluation process. He's also set to take his coaching staff to the Senior Bowl in the event if those duties fall to the Lions.

All signs continue to point to Schwartz returning as head coach for the 2013 season.

"We are on our normal, end-of-season wrap-up and (the Ford family) is heavily involved in that," Schwartz said. "It's business as usual."

That's not to say big changes aren't forthcoming. Schwartz repeated what he said after the loss to the Bears on Sunday — big changes were in store during this offseason — changes in terms of roster and coaching staff.

"There's evaluation that goes on after every single season and that doesn't change," Schwartz said. "Our after-season protocol as to evaluating what we did well, what we didn't do well, what changes we need, what needs we have and what resources we have, that's not going to change.

con't...

more: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... |FRONTPAGE

also see: http://www.freep.com/article/20121231/S ... xt|Detroit Lions
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby moochman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:10 pm

"Business as usual" As a long time Lions fan that is the scariest words he could have said.

Guess they are getting rid of WR, RB, TE, and OL coaches. Scapegoats.

To build on this, or merely vent more, the Lions have given a huge clue as to why they are losers. The D doesn't score a TD in the season of the pick 6. The D doesn't make any meaningful plays late in games. Our DC Gunny Cunny isn't going anywhere. (case can be made that GM Mayhem hasn't given him much help) The O makes no sense, tends to turtle into shell when its time to protect a lead, leading to quick 3 and outs. see D. There is no creativity in the offence, yet the OC is going nowhere. The Drafts under GM Mayhem have been dreadful. Take away the picks any Cafe member would have made, Calvin, Stafford and Suh and Mayhem has been every bit as bad as his mentor Matt Millen. Yet he is going nowhere. The Lions are the ultimate in a slow to react, aboslutely dumb organization. They need to change their emblem on the helmets to a 4leafed Clover cause pure dumb luck is the only hope we have for success.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:50 pm

I would like to see OC Scott Linehan gone. The lack of pick 6's you mention bespeaks the continuing lack of playmakers in the DB ranks - really need to address that in the FA market and/or in the draft.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby moochman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 pm

stomperrob wrote:I would like to see OC Scott Linehan gone. The lack of pick 6's you mention bespeaks the continuing lack of playmakers in the DB ranks - really need to address that in the FA market and/or in the draft.

One of my bigger fears is that Linehan keeps his job because he is obeying Schwartz's wishes for a "safe" O. How many times do you hear "The D took Calvin away on that play" and watch Stafford imitate Joey Blueskies with yet anther dump off pass, or watch them run ineffectual series to try and kill the clock before you realize Schwartz doesn't want to take chances. Play it safe, 4-12.

Factiod I find very odd. Stafford threw almost 250yds per each TD thrown. 4,967yds and 20TDs. Talk about empty yds.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:29 pm

As much as I was on the Schwartz bandwagon, I am thinking that is was time to make the cut this off-season - for the simple fact that the coordinators are keeping their job. For a team that finished 4-12 and had little impact, you need to make a change and Schwartz was/is reluctant to do that - this means HE must go. Sad thing is that their schedule is going to be a lot 'easier' this coming season and we could see 7,8 or even 9+ wins which would mean a contract extension and more of the "business as usual". Watching the playoffs this season was sad for me - I saw all kinds of 'unusual' play calling, inventive ways to use players, just look at the 2 teams in the Super Bowl - one fired their OC and the other made a switch at QB mid season; just because they thought it was the best option for their teams...could you ever, EVER, see the Lions doing something like that?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:12 pm

dream_017 wrote:As much as I was on the Schwartz bandwagon, I am thinking that is was time to make the cut this off-season - for the simple fact that the coordinators are keeping their job. For a team that finished 4-12 and had little impact, you need to make a change and Schwartz was/is reluctant to do that - this means HE must go. Sad thing is that their schedule is going to be a lot 'easier' this coming season and we could see 7,8 or even 9+ wins which would mean a contract extension and more of the "business as usual". Watching the playoffs this season was sad for me - I saw all kinds of 'unusual' play calling, inventive ways to use players, just look at the 2 teams in the Super Bowl - one fired their OC and the other made a switch at QB mid season; just because they thought it was the best option for their teams...could you ever, EVER, see the Lions doing something like that?

Sure, Lions did that this year. Didn't they bench Logan in week 17? This is a huge problem with the Lions ( and a lot of other franchises), they are reactionary. Instead of doing something to force the issue they take what the defence gives them. Schwartz looks to be the poster child for reactionary. Sadly a perfect fit for this a franchise that could only take action once a 0-16 season was upon them.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Detroit Lions