Please help! My first keeper league, im already stressed - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Please help! My first keeper league, im already stressed

Moderator: Football Moderators

Please help! My first keeper league, im already stressed

Postby Mobenhaus12 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:08 am

Ok so I didn't have the greatest 2012 fantasy football year, so I'm looking ahead to next year for some sort of hope. This year was the first year we drafted and played our keeper league, and I just missed the playoffs. We are able to keep 3 players, for 3 years. If you keep a player, you lose 2 spots from where that player was drafted last year. So players drafted in first 2 rounds cannot be kept. I have the 9th pick in the draft in 2013, as determined by record from 2012. I traded to get the 9th pick for the reason that I drafted Adrian Peterson in the 3rd round last year, so he will be my first rounder at the 9th pick. This is a 10 team league, 6 pts for TD's, 1 pt every 20 yards rushing/receiving, 1 pt for 50 yards passing. Below are the relavant players that I would even think of keeping with the round I drafted them in. Subtract 2 rounds for the player to keep. I'm definitely keeping Peterson for my 1st rounder, and Luck for a 12th rounder. Should I keep Ridley for a 4th based on his 2013 mock draft position? Or Ryan for a 5th rounder? Or just Peterson and Luck and leave the rest open? I don't know how I feel going into next year having Luck as my day to day starter, but don't feel great about keeping 2 qb's, as I'm losing a quality wideout around pick 5 if I keep Ryan. What do you guys think? Any feedback is appreciated. Also, having Peterson at 9th pick, I have 12th overall pick as well. Would it be best for me to think best available RB or WR at that point. Spiller, Richardson, Martin are being kept and won't use up their first round picks, as they were all drafted later than the 3rd round. Wondering if a lesser RB that will be there around the 12th pick like CJ2k or MJD would be better to take than a more decent wideout like a AJ Green or Dez Bryant at that spot. Thanks

2012 DRAFT
3rd Adrian Peterson
4th Andre Johnson
5th Antonio Gates
6th Stevan Ridley
6th Reggie Bush via trade
7th Matt Ryan
14th Andrew Luck
Mobenhaus12
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Please help! My first keeper league, im already stressed

Postby mycuccismells » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:19 am

If it was me Ridley would be the no brainer there, along with the 2 that you mentioned. Ridley was a RB1 this year and should at least come close to that value next year, he will be a solid RB2 at worst and getting that locked up in the 4th round is gold. A RB core of Peterson and Ridley will be very solid, especially if you can snag a third RB in the draft. With the 12th pick i would just go best available if i were you, if there is a really good RB left then take them but dont reach into the 2nd tier of RBs and pass on a top 3 WR.

As far as your QB situation goes i would keep Luck and try and snag someone like a Romo in the later rounds and then play matchups. You can easily get a Romo/Wilson/Ben/etc in the 9th-10th round next year and then just ride the hot hand throughout the season. You dont want to keep 2 QBs for obvious reasons, you can only start one so thats a waste of a valuable opportunity, and you have to keep Luck as a 12th rounder in my opinion. You will get him for 3 more years (still only 8th round in 3rd year) and by that time he could easily be a top 2-3 QB.

Im actually in a league that operates just like this, different scoring but same rules for keepers, although we can keep them as many years as we want at a 2 round penalty. So far i have Spiller who will count as my 7th round pick and Morris who will count as my 12th round pick, and i plan on that being my keepers for years. Thinking about keeping Denario Alexander in my third spot with a 11th round pick but i have a ton of guys that are similarly valued that i cant decide between so waiting on the offseason. The great part is that i planned ahead during the season and dumped Cruz and a 15th rounder for a 7th round pick and McFadden and a 14th rounder for a 12th round pick so my keepers are essentially only costing me 14th and 15th round picks
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 378)

Postby Stevooo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:27 am

Keep AP, Ridley and Luck. If you don't have to submit your keepers til around the NFL draft, I would watch Reggie Bush and what happens with him in free agency before finalizing your keepers. If the 'fins don't resign him and he goes to the right situation I would think about keeping him.
I drink because of the 1998 NFC championship game.

12 team big $$$ non PPR league - QB RB RB WR WR TE D K

QB: Rivers
RB: Murray, Matthews, R.Bush, D. Brown
WR: Julio Jones, Colston, VJax, Garcon
TE: Witten, Gresham
K: Kaeding
DST: SEA
Stevooo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby mycuccismells » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 am

Stevooo wrote:Keep AP, Ridley and Luck. If you don't have to submit your keepers til around the NFL draft, I would watch Reggie Bush and what happens with him in free agency before finalizing your keepers. If the 'fins don't resign him and he goes to the right situation I would think about keeping him.

I don't think you keep Reggie over Ridley no matter what happens. Ridley will be a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick, so getting him in the 4th round is good value. Reggie will probably be a 4th round pick so keeping him in the 4th round provides no additional value really. When doing keepers the most important thing to look at is what kind of value you are getting by keeping that player in compared to where you can get him in the draft.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 378)

Postby duffoholic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Agreed, AP is a no brainer and Ridley and Luck seem like the best options of what is left. Ridley is hard to knock since he plays for one of the top offences in the league. Lots of TD's to go around in NE.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 444)

Postby daullaz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Ridley easily over Ryan. No need to keep two QBs in a 10-team league if you're only starting one -- that's just a poor use of resources. If you think he offers incredible value there, I'd definitely work the phone lines and try to work out a profitable trade.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Indibuck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:10 pm

AP, Ridley, and Luck.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions