Mock Draft Discussion/Analysis - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to 2013 Extremely Early Mock Draft

Mock Draft Discussion/Analysis

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Mock Draft Discussion/Analysis

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:06 pm

stomperrob wrote:I thought long and hard about RGIII - decided that if this was a real fantasy draft today I wouldn't grab him due to concerns about his injury so I went the safe route and grabbed Luck. Closer to the regular season if he seems to be okay I wouldn't hesitate to grab him.

Wouldn't want him as my starter, but with Brees locked and loaded, I saw little drawback here. There wasn't a positional guy jumping off the paper at me and a ton of guys are about to take a QB, so it was now or never.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Indibuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 pm

murphysxm wrote:
stomperrob wrote:I thought long and hard about RGIII - decided that if this was a real fantasy draft today I wouldn't grab him due to concerns about his injury so I went the safe route and grabbed Luck. Closer to the regular season if he seems to be okay I wouldn't hesitate to grab him.

Wouldn't want him as my starter, but with Brees locked and loaded, I saw little drawback here. There wasn't a positional guy jumping off the paper at me and a ton of guys are about to take a QB, so it was now or never.

Yeah, the talent level and guys without big questions pre-draft fell off at the beginning of the 7th round.

I think it's likely that RG3 begins the season on the PUP... and is probably limited for 2013 if/when he does play. I think that likely means mid-to-low end QB2 numbers for the season. His upside is obviously enormous, but his floor is very low... too low for a 7th round pick IMHO, as there are at least 2 guys that I would pick at QB before RG3 as a high-upside backup to Brees.

Curious to see what others think about RG3 going into 2013.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 pm

I thought the reason you take Brees is so you don't have to take another QB in the 7th. Drafting RG3 as trade bait seems sketchy. Although I guess if he looks like he's back, you could trade Brees.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:I thought the reason you take Brees is so you don't have to take another QB in the 7th.

This. I've already said that I almost never take a QB early, but if I somehow ended up with Brees (or any other elite QB), there's no way I would draft my backup QB before getting at least one backup RB and WR (or my starting TE in your case). I doubt that I'll own RG3 in any leagues next year. I think he'll be drafted way too early for my tastes, and if WAS insists on running the read/option gimmick offense again (I agree with Rodgers that this offense won't last in the NFL), I doubt RG3 ever stays healthy for 16 games. Same reasons why I've never owned another undrafted running QB who always gets hurt.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby joejlitz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
thriftyrocker wrote:I thought the reason you take Brees is so you don't have to take another QB in the 7th.

This. I've already said that I almost never take a QB early, but if I somehow ended up with Brees (or any other elite QB), there's no way I would draft my backup QB before getting at least one backup RB and WR (or my starting TE in your case). I doubt that I'll own RG3 in any leagues next year. I think he'll be drafted way too early for my tastes, and if WAS insists on running the read/option gimmick offense again (I agree with Rodgers that this offense won't last in the NFL), I doubt RG3 ever stays healthy for 16 games. Same reasons why I've never owned another undrafted running QB who always gets hurt.

I don't have a problem with it. We are about into the preference rounds. I may want WR X or WR Y, but if I take RGIII and they are not there for me in the next round, I can still get WR Z and he may have the better season anyway.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 pm

joejlitz wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

I don't have a problem with it. We are about into the preference rounds. I may want WR X or WR Y, but if I take RGIII and they are not there for me in the next round, I can still get WR Z and he may have the better season anyway.

For the record, I also don't have a problem with it. It's just something I'd never do. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Not something I ever do either, but felt like I was reaching with my other options as well. Figured RGIII has a chance to be a home run. Why not
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby joejlitz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:33 am

I wanted to do it last year in the 7th when I was debating on WRs in a standard scoring league where you only start 2 and no flex (10 teams). I was going to take either Torrey Smith, Antonio Brown, or Stevie Johnson. But Matt Ryan was available. Someone scooped him up before I could and those 3 WRs ended up being wildly inconsistent. I ended up with Smith and Stevie on the turn. Stevie started for me a few times, but I couldn't keep him in the lineup. Smith never really did start for me and when he did he put up a bagel. I always guessed the wrong week.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:55 pm

murphysxm wrote:Not something I ever do either, but felt like I was reaching with my other options as well. Figured RGIII has a chance to be a home run. Why not

At this point in the draft production is no longer gauranteed, but flipping RGIII or Brees for a player who is already scoring well seems like a pretty good gamble. I'd feel a lot better about it if you could count on your WRs. Burned by Nicks last season leaves me bitter.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby joejlitz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:15 am

I like the Jacquizz pick and if he lasted another two picks he would have been a proud member of Kenny Britt's Rich Bail Bondsman.

The talk of Turner's demise before this 2012 fantasy season was obviously a lot more true than the talk of Gore's. I don't expect Turner to have a major role next year and that means, barring some kind of addition to the team, Jacquizz will be a solid flex play at worst next year with the potential to be a true starter. Good pick.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Extremely Early Mock Draft