Keeper Trade question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Keeper Trade question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper Trade question

Postby bandoogie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 am

I'm in a 16team standard league and fishing for opinions. What are peoples' thoughts on trading Brandon Marshal for Randall Cobb+a draft pick or two? Every team has two flex spots and is allowed up to 5 keepers. The pick(s) I would be getting is the first pick after the 5 keeper rds(6th rd pick or 6th+7th rd pick). My team is:

Romo
Marshall
Ballard
Sproles
Austin
Pettigrew
Stevie J
Roddy White
Bench is Mark Ingram and total trash not worth mentioning.

Any thoughts? If the answer is no, any suggestions on what players to target to improve my team or at least where I need improvement? I inherited this team. If there's anything I left out, mention it and I'll add. Thanks.
bandoogie
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 242)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper Trade question

Postby mycuccismells » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:55 am

I dont know if i would deal Marshall, the deal isnt a bad one but he is a top 2-3 WR and will be for at least a few more years. Cobb has the potential of being a top 10 guy in the league but i think its still too early to mortgage the house for him, and in a 5 keeper league with 16 teams picks become far less valuable. Unless there are some sort of restrictions that means that the top 30RBs and top 20RBs are probably all kept every year, so you are't going to be getting a great pick there.

I like the idea of targeting Cobb, i just think you are giving up a little too much established value for potential value. However i also think that a core of Marshall and Austin isnt bad for a 16 team league, and where you are really lacking is in the RB department? Ballard and Sproles are serviceable in a 16 team league but if i was looking to improve one position it would be that. Maybe you could trade Marshall for an Alfred Morris or something along those lines?? Im new to keepers too so just thinking aloud.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby daullaz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:43 am

I would try and trade Romo and White to upgrade at QB and RB. If the guy with Cobb can help you there, and you think he's willing to give up a top guy instead of that first rounder, I think a Marshall trade makes sense in that case.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Captain Eddie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm

When do you have to decide? If Jennings leaves GB, then I would make the trade.
Captain Eddie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 79)

Postby duffoholic » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:27 pm

I agree with the first comment. Picks are essentially a rookie draft for RB's with 80 players off the board before the first draft pick. Unless you can get an actual upgrade at another position where you are lacking, trading Marshall for a WR that will be a slight step up AT BEST isn't worth it. Morris might be a little much for Marshal but somebody around there should be attainable. If you could pair him with Romo to get a solid QB or RB you'd be laughing.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby bandoogie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks, I am leaning in the directions comments here suggest.
bandoogie
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 242)

Postby srlarson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:28 pm

In this type of League, when taking over a bad team...why is no one ever takes over a good team....another point......I think I would do the trade...Marshall will be washed up before you are relevant, I woul dtrade as many of your guys as you can and get draft picks for this year and next. I know the draft this year is short on impact fantasy players, but with your multiple early picks...pick young/ rookies and hope to hit on a couple of them....If last year in the 6th round and you had multiple picks and grabbed, Morris and D martin...your team would be in much better shape this year....no not saying you will hit 100% but got to take some chances.....you will be throwing away 2-3 years but you could build a great young team.

Good Luck
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 pm

srlarson wrote:In this type of League, when taking over a bad team...why is no one ever takes over a good team....another point......I think I would do the trade...Marshall will be washed up before you are relevant, I woul dtrade as many of your guys as you can and get draft picks for this year and next. I know the draft this year is short on impact fantasy players, but with your multiple early picks...pick young/ rookies and hope to hit on a couple of them....If last year in the 6th round and you had multiple picks and grabbed, Morris and D martin...your team would be in much better shape this year....no not saying you will hit 100% but got to take some chances.....you will be throwing away 2-3 years but you could build a great young team.

Good Luck

No one takes over a good team because people don't back out of leagues when they have a good team, they drop out when they know its going to be hard to win and they are starting at a disadvantage.

I would say Marshall has AT LEAST another 2-3 good years in him and his team could easily be relevant before then. I see your point but you openly admit that this year isnt a great one so that first round rookie pick doesnt mean much for him. For a 16 team league he doesnt have a horrible team, he just lacks a RB to be honest. If he could pull a trade like Marshall and Ballard for Cobb and a top 15 RB then i could get on board with this. But this trade is a step down at WR (which is his only really strength right now) in hopes to draft a rookie RB (of which there aren't many) that actually pans out and carries his team in 3 years. I highly doubt he inherited this team to drop 3 years of league dues in the hopes that a few rookies will pan out and make him a contender.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby duffoholic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:29 pm

mycuccismells wrote:
No one takes over a good team because people don't back out of leagues when they have a good team, they drop out when they know its going to be hard to win and they are starting at a disadvantage.

I would say Marshall has AT LEAST another 2-3 good years in him and his team could easily be relevant before then. I see your point but you openly admit that this year isnt a great one so that first round rookie pick doesnt mean much for him. For a 16 team league he doesnt have a horrible team, he just lacks a RB to be honest. If he could pull a trade like Marshall and Ballard for Cobb and a top 15 RB then i could get on board with this. But this trade is a step down at WR (which is his only really strength right now) in hopes to draft a rookie RB (of which there aren't many) that actually pans out and carries his team in 3 years. I highly doubt he inherited this team to drop 3 years of league dues in the hopes that a few rookies will pan out and make him a contender.

I agree completely here. Sure, you gain success through good drafting but often that means getting lucky on a guy like Morris in the 10th round. Plus this isn't a dynasty league so there will still be all those regular flyer type player that can be picked up. Worst case you don't hit gold in the draft on a RB but you can trade your top WR away to somebody with depth at RB later in the season.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions