RB's on the move

Moderator: Football Moderators

RB's on the move

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Evan Silva
Offseason Low Down
Running Backs: On the Move?
Monday, January 07, 2013

Accessible via Nick Mensio's Master List, this year's free agent running back class is topped off by three or four capable starters and roughly ten viable No. 2 backs. Cap cuts and trade candidates can strengthen the 2013 running back market. When attempting to pinpoint backs that might be on the offseason move, we begin with high-salaried players and progress toward running backs nearing the end of contracts, on teams who likely have no intention of extending them long term.

Release Candidates:

Chris Johnson -- $9 million of Johnson's $10 million 2013 base salary will become guaranteed on February 9. While the Titans could theoretically cut Johnson before that date and take themselves off the hook for the remainder of the guarantees in his contract, the Nashville Tennessean has reported that they'll keep Johnson and pay him in full. Despite maddening inconsistency, the Titans view Johnson as a core offensive player and have plenty of 2013 cap space to retain him.

DeAngelo Williams -- Signed to one of the worst running back contracts in league history two offseasons ago, Williams turns 30 in April and is owed $4.75 million in 2013 base pay after averaging a full yard less per carry than he did in 2011. All of Williams' guaranteed money has been paid, but the $4.85 million hit to release him may be prohibitive for cap-strapped Carolina.

Ahmad Bradshaw -- Bradshaw's feet and knees have become unreliable to the point that he can barely practice anymore leading up to games. Although still effective on the field, the Giants may deem Bradshaw's $4 million in salary and bonuses too costly for a likely timeshare back lacking durability. They could save $1.5 million versus the cap by releasing Bradshaw after the season.

Michael Turner -- Turner is the surest big-name veteran running back to be released this offseason after first-year Falcons coordinator Dirk Koetter progressively phased him out of the offense as the 2012 season moved along. Lacking short-area burst and passing-game value, Turner turns 31 in February and is owed a $5.5 million salary, none of which is guaranteed.

con't...

more: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... n-the-move
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: RB's on the move

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 pm

I think Chris Johnson is in a real nice position. If the Titans can get any kind of consistancy on O he probably falls in line and produces much better.
Suprised Mendenhal isn't on that list. Are the Stillers happy with him? Is a release to expensive?

I would love to get Tawian Jones on the Lions. Explosiveness missing in their backfield. Guess he is pretty raw, which could me dumb or uncoachable, but if the price is right. Wait, the Lions are aleady over the cap. Brilliant!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Re: RB's on the move

Postby stomperrob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Tennessee Titans plan to keep Chris Johnson
Feb 8, 2013
Written by Jim Wyatt
The Tennessean

Titans running back Chris Johnson isn’t going anywhere.

While the fifth-year pro’s hefty contract fueled speculation otherwise, the Titans “obviously” are going to honor the deal, coach Mike Munchak said Thursday.

“There was never talk that … we were going to cut C.J.,” he said.

Johnson is scheduled to make $10 million in 2013 — $9 million of which becomes guaranteed today, the fifth day of the new NFL year.

The Tennessean reported Dec. 20 that the Titans planned to keep Johnson, who signed a $53.5 million extension in 2011 and is under contract through 2016.

As expected, the Titans also plan to honor the contract of safety Michael Griffin, whose $3.5 million base salary becomes guaranteed today.

Johnson and Munchak had what the running back called a “positive” conversation.

con't...

more: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130 ... CJ-s-price
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Return to Football Talk