Moderator: Football Moderators

RB's???

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Martin Mayhew looking for a Lions RB 'with some juice'
By Kareem Copeland
Around the League Writer
Published: Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:04 a.m.
Updated: Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:19 a.m.

The Detroit Lions are getting around to something they should have focused on last offseason -- a running back.

General manager Martin Mayhew recently admitted it was a mistake not having a backup plan for the concussed Jahvid Best, who was never cleared in 2012. His career may be over. That left the Lions with the physical Mikel Leshoure, undrafted street free agent Joique Bell and injury-prone Kevin Smith.

"We need that shifty back that can come in and be a change-of-pace guy and catch passes out of the backfield," Mayhew told the team website. "A guy that can run routes and get one-on-one and beat a linebacker. That's what Jahvid gave us, a guy with some juice and some elusiveness."

The Lions had the No. 23 run game in the NFL while Bell filled Best's role with 52 catches for 485 yards. That offense could be one of the best in the NFL if Matthew Stafford can regain his 2011 form and the Lions add another playmaker to the backfield in that Darren Sproles mold. Stafford set an NFL record with 727 pass attempts in 2012. The coaching staff would love to supplement that and the run game with some easy, quick throws to an elusive back in space.

Best and Leshoure were drafted in back-to-back years to capture that finesse-power combination. Mayhew has to find the front end of that before August.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... some-juice
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: RB's???

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Mayhem and Millen sound very much alike. They both kept drafting skill position players only to say how much they needed more the next year.
My shopping list would have Tawain Jones of Oakland and Woodhead - who prolly will be too popular for us to get. I assume limited funds will keep Lions out of bidding wars.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Lions' Jahvid Best unlikely to play football again
By Chris Wesseling NFL.com
Published: Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:12 a.m

Having failed to find a doctor willing to clear him for a return to football, Jahvid Best has acknowledged that he's become the NFL's poster boy for concussions.

Best has insisted, however, that retirement talk is premature, preferring to "cross bridges when I get to them."

Those bridges now are on the immediate horizon. The Detroit Free Press recently confirmed Best isn't expected to play football again after suffering four concussions dating back to his final year at Cal.

Already turning the page on his 2010 first-round draft pick, Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew now is looking for "that shifty back that can come in and be that change-of-pace guy who can catch passes out of the backfield."

It's hard to overstate the importance of coach Jim Schwartz's fantasy back as a dangerous homerun hitter to complement wide receiver Calvin Johnson. Over the past two seasons, the Lions are 5-1 with Best in the lineup as opposed to 9-18 without him.

"You've all seen Jahvid when he's played," offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said last October. "He's as explosive of a player as I've been around."

con't...

more: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ball-again
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:17 pm

stomperrob wrote:General manager Martin Mayhew recently admitted it was a mistake not having a backup plan for the concussed Jahvid Best, who was never cleared in 2012.

Indy failed to have a backup plan for an injured peyton manning, and look how many people lost their jobs. is detroight gunna clean house too? "Gee we have the best WR in the game, let's not worry too much about the running game."
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:55 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:General manager Martin Mayhew recently admitted it was a mistake not having a backup plan for the concussed Jahvid Best, who was never cleared in 2012.

Indy failed to have a backup plan for an injured peyton manning, and look how many people lost their jobs. is detroight gunna clean house too? "Gee we have the best WR in the game, let's not worry too much about the running game."

I suspect that the depth of Mayhem's due diligence on Best's recovery was a phone call to Best or his agent. "How's your head?" "Good" "Okay, see ya in camp"

Seriously, I doubt it went much further than that. Add to that the Lions have no money to buy a RB and there you go. Was very lucky Bell stepped up.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 pm

I had been saying since training camp that I don't see Best playing this season or ever again. Why could the Lions see it???!?! As with all of their blown moves and my blind faith in this team, I just hope this doesn't set them back too much.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Interesting, not sure how well he would fit and what the price tag is:

Just spitballing: RB Reggie Bush to Lions?
February 12, 2013
Detroit Free Press Staff

Peter King started the ball rolling Monday at SI.com: “Detroit is a perfect fit for free agent running back Reggie Bush.”

And Kevin Seifert picked it up at ESPN.com, agreeing Bush could slip right into the Jahvid Best slot, a back who can run and catch.

“Again, we’re just matching skills with scheme at this point,” Seifert admitted. “Interest from either side is unknown,” but “we should at least consider all possibilities.”

Isn’t that what mock drafts do? So why can’t they do mock free agent signings?

http://www.freep.com/article/20130212/S ... xt|Detroit Lions

:-?
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Just can't see the Lions ponying up the cash to pay for Bush. Too many other holes to fill for GM Mayhem.
He would be a great fit though.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:30 pm

moochman wrote:Just can't see the Lions ponying up the cash to pay for Bush. Too many other holes to fill for GM Mayhem.
He would be a great fit though.

Yeah he would be a big boost for the passing game, but like ya say it may be cost prohibitive - not sure what kinda money Bush thinks he's worth at this stage in his career.
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:41 pm

That's the issue. Lions have enough of a pulse in the run game that they would allocate money elsewhere. A trade to a team like Oakland for a Jones or Goodson would be better. For Royster from the Skins? there are many better places to go than over-paying for Bush.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Detroit Lions