Help me with my keepers! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Help me with my keepers!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help me with my keepers!

Postby Norseman36 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 am

I'm in a first-year, 10 team keeper league. We can keep three players each. My roster is below. I was going to keep Martin, Richardson, and Bryant, but after watching Kaep go crazy this weekend, I'm not sure. I've heard a lot about CJ Spiller being a good keeper for next year as well, but I don't think he is better than Martin or Richardson, and I can't see keeping 3 RBs when we only play two. Should I go Richardson, Martin, and Kaepernick?
Norseman36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help me with my keepers!

Postby mycuccismells » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 am

Dont worry about how many RBs you can start, you can never have too many RBs. In my opinion Richardson, Martin and Spiller are the no brainer options for keepers, they are all projected as first round picks for next year. These guys are great PPR RBs too because they are able to catch out of the backfield. I can see possibly keeping Dez over Richardson, just because his value this year was SO touchdown dependent. Personally i wouldnt do it but if i had to leave out a RB he would be the one that i left out for that reason and his injury concerns.

Whatever you do dont keep kaepernick though. He is a good keeper in a league where you are keeping for value and get to keep guys based on where they were drafted this year because then you get him as a late round pick. If you keep him though you are essentially keeping him as a third round pick and i would say his ADP will be far lower than that next season. QB is a super deep position, there are at least 7-8 as good or better than Colin, so no reason to reach and keep one just because he had an amazing game.He will fall back to earth a bit next year like all rookie running QBs do after 8-10 starts.

Can you trade guys for draft picks in the offseason, or for other keepers? Maybe you could trade away Dez or T-Rich for a nice pick or even try and package them up to the Calvin Johnson owner and then have Spiller/Martin/Calvin as your keepers
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:43 am

mycuccismells wrote:Dont worry about how many RBs you can start, you can never have too many RBs. In my opinion Richardson, Martin and Spiller are the no brainer options for keepers, they are all projected as first round picks for next year. These guys are great PPR RBs too because they are able to catch out of the backfield. I can see possibly keeping Dez over Richardson, just because his value this year was SO touchdown dependent. Personally i wouldnt do it but if i had to leave out a RB he would be the one that i left out for that reason and his injury concerns.

Whatever you do dont keep kaepernick though. He is a good keeper in a league where you are keeping for value and get to keep guys based on where they were drafted this year because then you get him as a late round pick. If you keep him though you are essentially keeping him as a third round pick and i would say his ADP will be far lower than that next season. QB is a super deep position, there are at least 7-8 as good or better than Colin, so no reason to reach and keep one just because he had an amazing game.He will fall back to earth a bit next year like all rookie running QBs do after 8-10 starts.

Can you trade guys for draft picks in the offseason, or for other keepers? Maybe you could trade away Dez or T-Rich for a nice pick or even try and package them up to the Calvin Johnson owner and then have Spiller/Martin/Calvin as your keepers

Agree with most of this. 1st of all, Spiller is ahead of Richardson in my rankings. Secondly, keep your best guys and address needs in the draft. In keeping these 3 RB's you will be locked in at the position and can draft the heck out of WR's to fill that position. I would try the trade route with a team weak at RB, but if not, keep the 3 backs.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Norseman36 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Very good advice, thank you. We can trade keepers for draft picks, so I will try to move stuff around. Otherwise, I will keep the 3 RBs. This is my first year in a keeper league, so I'm not too experienced with this sort of thing.
Norseman36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Norseman36 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Also, do you have some links to early draft rankings for next year? I know it's a bit early, but I'm obsessed with preparation. I can't find any rankings for next year except the actual NFL draft rankings.
Norseman36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mycuccismells » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 pm

I would definitely try to move some of these guys, you have tons of great keepers so you should be able to grab some picks for them instead of just throwing them back. Dont settle for just anything though, its better to throw Dez back and give yourself a chance of drafting him than giving him to someone for a 10th round pick. Like i said your best option is to try and package up T-Rich and Dez for someone like a Calvin Johnson or Foster or Peterson, etc.

As far as draft rankings are you asking for fantasy draft rankings or projected rankings for the actual NFL draft? If you want fantasy football ranks i came across this Matthew Berry piece a few weeks ago

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/sto ... ranks-2013
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby duffoholic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:58 pm

I agree with the above. If you can enter the draft with Spiller, Martin and Bryant/TRich you should be pretty happy and if you can package that Bryant/TRich combo to a Richardson fan for something better like a soild WR or RB plus draft pick or a Calvin/Foster/Lynch type guy, you're off to a great start for next season. Worst case with keeping all 3 RB's is you wait 3-5 weeks into the season to figure out where they actually stand and maybe trade one there to address a need (if you have one).

Good luck!
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Norseman36 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Would you guys trade Richardson and Bryant for Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees?
Norseman36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby daullaz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:20 am

Norseman36 wrote:Would you guys trade Richardson and Bryant for Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees?

I think I'd prefer a guy like Rodgers along with Martin/Spiller over keeping Richardson, even though he probably has a little more value. Bryant is superfluous since you're not keeping him, so in essence you're trading a backup RB (albeit an outstanding one) for the top QB in the game. Good deal if you can get it.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Norseman36 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:52 am

I'm gunning hard for Rodgers. The guy that has him owns no other 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounders besides Rodgers. I think he'll take two 2nd rounders for his low 1st rounder.
Norseman36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions