Big Dynasty League Trade! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Big Dynasty League Trade!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Big Dynasty League Trade!

Postby smithmn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey guys. I just took over a struggling team in a deep dynasty league. You start 1 QB, 2/3 RB, 2/3 WR, 1/2 TE, K, and DEF. The scoring is complex, but just know it's a PPR League.

My first priority is to upgrade my QB. Right now I have Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor, and Brandon Weeden. I was offered this trade:

I Give: Brandon Weeden, Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter
I Get: Joe Flacco, Vick Ballard, Donald Brown, 2nd Round Pick (can use on rookies or free agents)

Flacco is an upgrade over Weeden, but in this league he didn't score anymore points than Palmer. Gore was good this year, but when Kaepernick took over he failed to have a 100-yard game and only had 3 TDs. Ballard on the other hand started slow but ended as the main RB, and I expect the same going into the 2013 season.

Am I giving up too much with Gore? Do I make him throw in a WR? Or do I hold out for a better QB?

Thanks guys! WHIR if you leave a link.
smithmn
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Dynasty League Trade!

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:16 pm

I would try to squeeze a bit more out of him. Out the box its a pretty fair trade. Kap definitely eats into Gores production on top of the splitting he already does. He is getting long in the tooth though so eventually his time will end and the young bucks step up. Getting the Colts Backfield is ok but I still worry about what will happen there. Ballard seems like the guy but I would be a little concerned that he keeps the starting spot.

You upgrade at QB but not much on a weekly basis when considering points scored. The 2nd rounder is ok depending on early 2nd vs late 2nd. I would maybe throw him a 3rd or 4th for a decent WR that you can fill in if needed.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby smithmn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 pm

I was thinking that as well. It's the fourth pick in the second round, by the way. Thanks for the help!
smithmn
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby daullaz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:17 am

I would probably do that trade as is if I couldn't get more. Flacco is on his way up and Palmer is on his way down, so don't get too married to last season's numbers. In a deep league where QBs are hard to find, being able to get a big upgrade without sacrificing a starter (since you're getting Ballard for Gore) is pretty nice. There's a good chance Weeden's going to be pretty worthless in fantasy with a completely new group in Cleveland -- the chance he's their long-term starter is very small. Good to get something for him while you can.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 am

daullaz wrote:I would probably do that trade as is if I couldn't get more. Flacco is on his way up and Palmer is on his way down, so don't get too married to last season's numbers. In a deep league where QBs are hard to find, being able to get a big upgrade without sacrificing a starter (since you're getting Ballard for Gore) is pretty nice. There's a good chance Weeden's going to be pretty worthless in fantasy with a completely new group in Cleveland -- the chance he's their long-term starter is very small. Good to get something for him while you can.

Flacco seems to be on the way up every year, yet he never really is. I agree Palmer is on his way down but you may be able to get another decent year or two out of him, which would give you long enough to evaluate Weeden and take a chance on a guy in the draft. More importantly though the reason i think you are giving up too much is because although Gore is getting old, those 2 young guys look like they can fill in nicely when he is gone. I dont know if it will be one of them or both but they both have the possibility of becoming the lead dog in a couple of years so the transition from Gore may be seamless if you own that whole backfield.

The Colts backs on the other hand are a mess, and no one knows what is going to happen. Sure Ballard looks to be the starter, but no one would have said that until the last few weeks of the season. Injuries gave him a chance, and maybe he will keep that chance, but you never know. To take on an extremely risky backfield like that I dont know if i would really be willing to give up the san fran backfield. This is one of those trades I would feel much more comfortable answering in 6 months when we see how things shake out in Indy
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 378)

Postby toof90 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Im in a league set up very similar to this one.

I think its a fair trade. Weeden to Flacco is a significant upgrade.

But I do like Gore and Lamichael James a lot, if you cant find any other trade to upgrade at QB without giving them away then I guess just do this one.
toof90
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)

Postby toof90 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Im in a league set up very similar to this one.

I think its a fair trade. Weeden to Flacco is a significant upgrade.

But I do like Gore and Lamichael James a lot, if you cant find any other trade to upgrade at QB without giving them away then I guess just do this one.
toof90
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)

Postby dblj9911 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:30 am

Well your trading the entire SF backfield and a 28year old rookie who may or may not be the new Cleveland qb of the future. Your getting a draft pick and a serviceable qb for now until you can get a to starter. I like the deal, in dynasty you need to get rid of your rb's before they hit the 30yr old wall also. Id make the move and look to keep rebuilding your team.
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 75)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions