Return to Football Talk

RB's in zone read offense

Moderator: Football Moderators

RB's in zone read offense

Postby Dirt McGirt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 am

Lynch
Morris
Gore

Watching these guys run out of this formation is like stealing. Having a DE or LB keeping an eye on a QB makes it very tough for defenses to slow these guys down. At this point it really isn't about the talent of the player and just a sheer numbers game. With that said Gore and Lynch have both proven they can be successful regardless of the style of offense.

I see no answer for completely stopping this style of offense any time soon.
Dirt McGirt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: RB's in zone read offense

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:28 am

Eh, the answer is pretty simple. Crush the decision-maker. Not only does that intimidate him, but really, you just need to use one player (the backside DE) to take out the QB. usually the way the zone-read option works is that you leave the backside DE unblocked, allow the play to flow to one side, and then the QB can pull the ball and run against the flow. If you just have that DE take the QB out every time he runs it, you have one less guy to stop the run but you've also eliminated the optin part from it.

Now, the idea of teams using their QBs more as runners is one that would certainly be difficult for teams to stop, as the offensive team will finally be using all 11 players in the run game. Only problem is then you are opening your QB up to injury and I don't know how many good dual-threat QBs are in the league.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 am

It's a gimmick to me. Just like the Wildcat, defenses will scheme to stop. Unless a team streams Qb's and has no concern about injuries (like Kelly is rumored to do in Philly) too many injuries to high priced guys will diminish the value of the offense.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 222)

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:26 pm

RG III is an example of why it doesn't last. Either his team will start to run plays that put him at less risk or he will. That position ( and his career) is too vital to be that reckless with. Too bad, it makes for some pretty exciting ball.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk