TE in the 1st round in 2013......Why not? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TE in the 1st round in 2013......Why not?

Moderator: Football Moderators

TE in the 1st round in 2013......Why not?

Postby Free John Beck » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Without a doubt, the most shallow position in fantasy football in 2013 will be tight end. If you're picking in the back end of the 1st round, Gronk or Graham seems the way to go to me. With Gonzalez retiring and Gates basically done, the gap between ppg from the elite handful of TEs and the rest of the pack is huge. Plus there's a trust factor that you just don't have with the 2nd tier TEs like Randolph, Pettigrew, Daniels, and Gresham. Those guys can have occasional good games, but can also lay an egg when you need them most. Me personally, I'll be taking a TE pretty early in 2013 (1st or 2nd round), and waiting until the middle rounds for a QB like Stafford, Romo, or Eli.
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: TE in the 1st round in 2013......Why not?

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Interesting strategy. I may wait until 15ish pick, and if someone snaps those guys up before then, wait a round and grab a guy like Hernandez. Once we get a better grasp on rankings for next year, it will be interesting to see who you can grab in rounds 2-4 at RB if you happen to use your first pick on a TE.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:57 pm

I used to be one of those guys taking a stud TE in the 4-5th rounds a few years ago. So I can see taking an one of the TE trio but you would be chasing RB and WR pts the rest of your draft. I think you are giving away too many pts taking a TE that early. I'd rather have a 200 pt potential RB or WR than a 170 pt potential top TE.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Free John Beck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 pm

I understand what you're saying, but WR is really deep. You can get a much higher quality WR in the 5th and 6th round than you can a TE. My thinking for the first 4 rounds is 2 RBs, 1WR, and 1 TE (order depending on draft position, but TE late 1st or 2nd round). QB and 2nd and 3rd WRs can wait.
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby i_b_sparks » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 am

I feel like this only makes sense if Graham or Gronk is staring at you late in the 1st round. Otherwise, there will be several solid RB1's available. Maybe Martin or Charles or Lynch (Lynch pick depends on if he gets a suspension for his DUI case prior to the 2012 season. Remember that?) Aaron Hernandez or Jason Witten or a host of other serviceable TE's should be available in round 3. Daniels, Miller, Pitta, Rudolph, or Gresham in the 4th thru 6th rounds are likely better options than RB's who you'll find still available in the 4th thru 6th. A little too early to tell how things will unfold on draft day, but something tells me I'd rather have a stud RB in the 1st round than a stud TE. You might be on to something, though.
i_b_sparks
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 6)

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 pm

I just can't pass on RB and WR in the early rounds. I have moved up my select of TE(depending on who is available, but just can't see moving into the 1st round or 2nd for that matter. A lot of the pick 'X' position early depends on the type of league you have and how others around you draft, but as for overall advice, I would not take a TE in the 1st round
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:53 pm

Free John Beck wrote:I understand what you're saying, but WR is really deep. You can get a much higher quality WR in the 5th and 6th round than you can a TE. My thinking for the first 4 rounds is 2 RBs, 1WR, and 1 TE (order depending on draft position, but TE late 1st or 2nd round). QB and 2nd and 3rd WRs can wait.

You lose 60pts immediately when you take Gronk or Graham vs Bryant, Green, Thomas at the end of the first, start of the second. You're not getting those points back. by the middle rounds the pts differential for taking a mid tier TE or WR evens out. So it seems to me that you get better value waiting and taking a less than TE later.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Free John Beck » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:17 pm

If you go by the 2012 numbers where both Gronk and Graham missed significant time that's true. In 2011 Gronk outscored every WR except Megatron in my league.
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dream_017 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:55 am

Free John Beck wrote:If you go by the 2012 numbers where both Gronk and Graham missed significant time that's true. In 2011 Gronk outscored every WR except Megatron in my league.

So, based on 1 player in 1 year it is a good idea to take a TE in the 1st round O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Free John Beck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 am

When there are 1 or 2 players that are so much better than everyone else at the TE position..........yes. Gronk was on pace for a similar year this year before the injury, so it's not like it was 1 flash in the pan season.
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk