TE in the 1st round in 2013......Why not? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TE in the 1st round in 2013......Why not?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: TE in the 1st round in 2013......Why not?

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Free John Beck wrote:When there are 1 or 2 players that are so much better than everyone else at the TE position..........yes. Gronk was on pace for a similar year this year before the injury, so it's not like it was 1 flash in the pan season.

We're all aware of that, but career years are seldom repeated. Wether Ds adjust, structure of your O changes, or health concerns the stars don't line up that well again.
Its not like you don't have a point, and that taking a uber stud TE late 1st rnd isn't tempting. You asked why not, we gave you opinions. The merit of which will be determined over time.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free John Beck » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 am

Yeah that's cool. It wouldn't be much fun if we all had the same opinion. My opinion may be a little biased. I drafted Gronk in the 2nd this past year and was in first place in my league until he got hurt. Ended up in 3rd and was knocked out of the playoffs in the first round by the 6 seed.
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Free John Beck wrote:Yeah that's cool. It wouldn't be much fun if we all had the same opinion. My opinion may be a little biased. I drafted Gronk in the 2nd this past year and was in first place in my league until he got hurt. Ended up in 3rd and was knocked out of the playoffs in the first round by the 6 seed.

That's funny, I drafted Gronk early two and was pretty disappointed with his early production. Of course the rest of my team did nothing to pick up the slack so I needed the best Gronk every week. Unrealistic expectations on my part, but desparation can do that. :-b

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 pm

moochman wrote:
Free John Beck wrote:I understand what you're saying, but WR is really deep. You can get a much higher quality WR in the 5th and 6th round than you can a TE. My thinking for the first 4 rounds is 2 RBs, 1WR, and 1 TE (order depending on draft position, but TE late 1st or 2nd round). QB and 2nd and 3rd WRs can wait.

You lose 60pts immediately when you take Gronk or Graham vs Bryant, Green, Thomas at the end of the first, start of the second. You're not getting those points back. by the middle rounds the pts differential for taking a mid tier TE or WR evens out. So it seems to me that you get better value waiting and taking a less than TE later.

I don't know Mooch. I think you get those points back. If you take Jimmy Graham and he gets you 153 (as he did in the Tundra) and your opponent waits on Gresham (103) or Gates (96) or V. Davis (85) or Finley (77)...all guys expected to do pretty well..., you make up a lot of points right there. And the key is beating your opponents, so having the best guy at the position will always guarantee you more points.

You just have to be savvy enough to draft well at the other positions.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Free John Beck » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:54 pm

^^^^^^^^^Bingo!

Thanks for illiterating my point better than I could. Lol.
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:54 pm

joejlitz wrote:
moochman wrote:
Free John Beck wrote:I understand what you're saying, but WR is really deep. You can get a much higher quality WR in the 5th and 6th round than you can a TE. My thinking for the first 4 rounds is 2 RBs, 1WR, and 1 TE (order depending on draft position, but TE late 1st or 2nd round). QB and 2nd and 3rd WRs can wait.

You lose 60pts immediately when you take Gronk or Graham vs Bryant, Green, Thomas at the end of the first, start of the second. You're not getting those points back. by the middle rounds the pts differential for taking a mid tier TE or WR evens out. So it seems to me that you get better value waiting and taking a less than TE later.

I don't know Mooch. I think you get those points back. If you take Jimmy Graham and he gets you 153 (as he did in the Tundra) and your opponent waits on Gresham (103) or Gates (96) or V. Davis (85) or Finley (77)...all guys expected to do pretty well..., you make up a lot of points right there. And the key is beating your opponents, so having the best guy at the position will always guarantee you more points.

You just have to be savvy enough to draft well at the other positions.

In my league there were pleny of TEs that scored around 110pts to Grahams 161 there to be had pretty late. Heath Miller, Olsen, Myers, Pitta, Rudolph, and even Daniels. So my argument would be that it is easier to find reliable production out of the TE position later in the draft than from a WR or RB. I just don't see the overall value.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:24 pm

moochman wrote:I just don't see the over value.

Fixed ;-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Previous

Return to Football Talk