Tony Gonzalez - one more season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tony Gonzalez - one more season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tony Gonzalez - one more season

Postby stomperrob » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 pm

The Falcons sure hope so:

Falcons want Tony Gonzalez back
January, 31, 2013 5:59 PM ET
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

NEW ORLEANS -- Tony Gonzalez might be playing another season for the Atlanta Falcons after all.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff told ESPN.com on Thursday that he is lobbying the tight end to return for one more season.

“A guy who is 36 catching 100-plus balls [including the postseason], it just doesn’t seem like it’s time for him to move on," Dimitroff said while visiting the Super Bowl media center.

When Dimitroff offered that up without much prompting, I immediately asked if he had delivered that message to Gonzalez.

“I definitely already have," Dimitroff said.

Gonzalez, 36, said several times late in the season he was 95 percent sure he would retire.

con't...

more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... zalez-back
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tony Gonzalez - one more season???

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 am

Team has no timetable on Tony Gonzalez
Updated: 4:11 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2013 | Posted: 3:33 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2013
By D. Orlando Ledbetter

...Smith also said that team does not have a timetable for tight end Tony Gonzalez to decide if he’s going to retire or return to the team.

The team plans to be mindful of Gonzalez’ situation and let him arrive at his conclusion without any additional pressure. The Falcons have been clear that they want the game’s most prolific pass-catching tight end to return.

“I don’t that there is anything concrete in terms of a timetable,” Smith said. “But I think that conversation will take place. I had a conversation with him the week after the season and we’ll probably have another here real soon.”

Smith, his staff and the team’s scouts head to Indianapolis next week for the NFL scouting combine. He said it’s not a problem if Gonzalez has not decided by then and that the team would have to scout the tight ends and other position groups either way.

“You have to do your due diligence on all of those positions,” Smith said.

stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Posted: 12:57 p.m. Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Report: Gonzalez to return to the Falcons
By D. Orlando Ledbetter

Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez has informed the team that he is returning for his 17th season in the NFL, according to a report by Jay Glazer of Fox Sports.

stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Updating an earlier item, free agent Tony Gonzalez has "informed the Falcons he's coming back," and is "working out a new deal now."
"After discussing it with my family and really, truly struggling with this decision, I informed the Falcons I would like to return for one more shot," Gonzalez told FOX's Jay Glazer. It's a coup for persistent GM Thomas Dimitroff, and takes a major need off Atlanta's shopping list. The Falcons could still search for Gonzo's eventual replacement in the draft, but probably not until the mid-to-late rounds. It might be unwise to expect Gonzalez to match his 93/930/8 line in 2013, but he returns as a locked-and-loaded TE1. Mar 12 - 12:50 PM
Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1331/tony-gonzalez
stomperrob

Re: Tony Gonzalez - one more season

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 am

I didnt see any sign of decline last year in him. I think he puts up good numbers but not quite last year. He started on a tear early and tapered off a bit. I see him having some really good games I just dont think he matches that start again
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:23 am

Definitely no one should take him as a TE1 in a redraft league.

It's deja vu all over again
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Gonzalez 'without a doubt' retiring after season
FOX SPORTS SOUTH STAFF |
Published: Thursday, July 18, 2013, 10:55am
Gonzalez primed for title run

Nico Gonzalez should expect some fairly generous birthday presents from Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan this year.

Nico, the son of Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez, was credited Wednesday with returning Ryan's most dependable target for the 2013 season.

Entering the 2012 season, Gonzalez said he was 95 percent sure it would be his final year. After an NFC Championship game loss to the San Francisco 49ers -- a loss that left Gonzalez contemplating at his locker for an extended period of time -- that percentage went up. He says he truly believed he was calling it quits.

But that all came before talking with his 12-year-old son.

"When I went home, I was able to talk to my family and my close circle -- specifically, my son Nico -- he was the reason I was going to retire, anyway," Gonzalez said in an interview with NFL Network on Wednesday. "He lives out in LA with his mom, he doesn't live with me during the season, so I wanted to spend more time with him. [Nico] said, 'You know what, dad, you guys have a great team. I think you should go out and try it one more time.' And after he said that, with everything that fell into place, with the type of team we're going to have . . . it was kind of a no-brainer."

In the same interview, Gonzalez firmly stated that the 2013 season would be his last.

con't...

more: http://www.foxsportssouth.com/nfl/atlan ... eedID=3703
stomperrob

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 pm

I read that yesterday, and apparently he said the same thing last year around this time. Maybe he wants to be Favre the 2nd.
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)

Return to Football Talk