Gronk or Hernandez, who to trade? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Gronk or Hernandez, who to trade?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gronk or Hernandez, who to trade?

Postby WTA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:41 pm

12-team dynasty league, we keep 10 each year, here's my squad -

QB - Rodgers
RB - Peterson, Charles, Forte
WR - A Johnson, Colston, Austin, Bowe, Sanu
TE - Gronk, Hernandez

Also have the 1st overall pick in the rookie draft.

So it may seem like a dumb question, but I obviously don't need both Patriot TE's and I can easily get more out of Gronk than Hernandez. It seems like Hernandez' value is pretty low right now because I'm not really getting any interest, but I'm sure I can get a nice deal out of Gronkowski (Foster's owner has shown interest, something like Forte/Gronk for Foster would probably be doable.)

So, thoughts? Keep 'em both? Trade one? Go after a top WR instead of Foster?
WTA
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Gronk or Hernandez, who to trade?

Postby duffoholic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 pm

It seems to me that Forte/Gronk for Foster is a no brainer! It seems like the Pats might be parting ways with Welker so there would be more room for Hernandez to catch some more balls next year and line up in the slot on some snaps. I think a deal like that would be amazing! AP AND Foster would a crazy combo. I would even consider Charles/Gronk if he could add something keepable.

I hope this helps!
Good luck!
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:34 pm

I dont know about giving up Charles and Gronk for Foster, thats giving up a lot. Personally i would hate giving away Gronk at all, i know that you have Hernandez who is great as well but at the same time your team doesnt really have a weakness. For a 12 team league you have an extremely strong team as is so downgrading at one position to upgrade at another isnt necessarily a home run.

I find it hard to believe that in a dynasty league where the TE spot is so thin you cant find a buyer on Hernandez at all. Also remember that the offseason JUST started, just because you arent getting interest yet doesnt mean that you wont. All you need is word out of trading camp that Hernandez is playing well and is healthy and that interest is right back.

That being said i also think your RB core is extremely strong, if i was trying to upgrade one position it would be WR. You are deep at WR and probably have 4 guys in the top 20, but i dont know if you really have anyone to hang your hat on. Arguably Andre but to me hes a question mark, i would rather package up a TE and WR and target a top 3 WR.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby duffoholic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 pm

I like this advice too. If you could get rid of Austin and Gronk for a top tier guy like Julio, that sounds pretty solid (I have a hate on for Austin). Your RB's don't NEED any help but it never hurts right?
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:52 pm

duffoholic wrote:I like this advice too. If you could get rid of Austin and Gronk for a top tier guy like Julio, that sounds pretty solid (I have a hate on for Austin). Your RB's don't NEED any help but it never hurts right?

I would agree that it never hurts, but if you are in a position of power you might as well leverage that. To me the fall off from Gronk to Hernandez is potentially just as big as the upgrade from Forte to Foster; and in a dynasty league having those young tight ends are extremely valuable. The miles being put on Foster worry me a bit to be honest, not that he is going to really drop off but he may fall a little closer to that next tier of guys. And not that I avoid having 2 guys on the same team but having Foster and Andre does limit your weekly upside, even if just by a little bit.

I agree that Austin and Gronk for Julio isnt a bad deal, him and Thomas are 2 of the receivers i would try to target the highest (along with AJ and Calvin). Try and get someone that you can ride for the next 4-5 years, instead of having a bunch of receivers that all drop off around the same time.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby WTA » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for the responses guys... Just traded Gronk, Sanu, and the #1 pick for AJ Green. Here's hoping Welker moves on from NE and Hernandez moves to the slot... ;-D
WTA
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby duffoholic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Getting Green should be HUGE in a dynasty league. Him and Dalton have serious chemistry and could grow together a la Peyton/Wayne(Harrison) and with this mediocre draft class giving up the pick isn't the worst thing in the world.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby srlarson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:56 am

great trade!! Congrats!!
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Postby mycuccismells » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Yeah that pick isnt all that valuable so i think you got a great deal, essentially it was Gronk for AJ Green. Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, should be to try and package up Forte and one of those mid range WR and get a nice young RB like Morris. A core of Morris/Rodgers/Green is one you can ride for a long time.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby WTA » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:34 pm

^ Threw out a couple offers like that and got a counter and ended up pulling the trigger on Jamaal Charles/Andre Johnson for Arian Foster/Andy Dalton. Couldn't pass up having Foster and Peterson together, and Johnson is gonna be 32 when the season starts so he could be on the decline...

Trying to work with a couple guys and move Dalton for a RB and Forte for a WR... or some combination like that... Might end up hanging on to Dalton though, still haven't decided yet...

Rogers/Foster/Peterson/Green will probably win me some games next year without even needing the other 5 guys in my lineup, haha...
WTA
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions