Nicks or Cobb in dynasty? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Nicks or Cobb in dynasty?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Nicks or Cobb in dynasty?

Postby TruNinerFan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Who would you rather have in a 1 PPR dynasty league: Hakeem Nicks or Randall Cobb?

This would have been an easy question last year, but I am torn this year. I love Cobb's potential with an increased role in the offense and I worry about Nicks injury history. But, if Nicks is healthy he is a stud. What do you all think?

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Nicks or Cobb in dynasty?

Postby Indibuck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Yeah, much tougher call than at this point last year.

Nicks plays tough, but seems to always be injured. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's still only 25. I'm a believer that a lot of Eli's struggles last year had to do with Nicks being way less than 100% when he actually saw the field. A healthy Nicks has elite WR1 potential.

That being said, I love Cobb. GB has stated that he will not be used on special teams so that he can concentrate on offense. With Jennings likely gone, Cobb has a chance to put up HUGE numbers going forward, especially in a PPR league. Cobb actually led GB in targets last year, even though he wasn't a major part of the offense for the first 5 weeks or so. A healthy Nelson and James Jones on the outside means defenses can't overcommit to Cobb in the slot... he's like Welker with better wheels and more versatility.

I'll take the upside in Cobb over Nicks.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 am

The reasons you bring up make them pretty even to me, the unknown in terms of potential vs the unknown in terms of health. What i think sets them apart is that Cobb is 3 years younger, and he has a little better QB behind him. Packers put up bigger numbers and Cobb could be the feature guy there, so that combined with his youth would make me lean in that direction
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 378)

Postby wtr23 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Unfortunately for Cobb he probably won't be doing much in the return game, in a league where that is considered Cobb wins easily. I like the cast and crew in Green Bay much more than New York, I'd take Cobb here.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

Postby 11stever11 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:30 pm

I prefer Cobb although it is close. If Cobb has the opportunity, which I think he has, then I see him putting up WR1 for a while due to his versatility and age.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby murphysxm » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:24 pm

I may be the last one hanging on to the dream, but a healthy Nicks is dominant. He is one of the better red zone targets in the league and Eli loves him. I am a huge fan of Cobb, but Jennings leaving isn't a huge bump from last years numbers simply because Jennings missed so much time anyway. I think upside is actually in Nicks favor, it's just the injuries.....
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:18 am

murphysxm wrote:I may be the last one hanging on to the dream, but a healthy Nicks is dominant. He is one of the better red zone targets in the league and Eli loves him. I am a huge fan of Cobb, but Jennings leaving isn't a huge bump from last years numbers simply because Jennings missed so much time anyway. I think upside is actually in Nicks favor, it's just the injuries.....

That was pretty much my sentiment, just relayed slightly different. It also depends on how the keeper structure is determined, are they both kept at the same cost and how many guys get kept? Its obviously early and things will change but Cobb is being talked about as a 3rd round pick (around 30th overall) where Nicks is being talked about closer to a 5th round pick. So depending on how the league is structured if you wanted to have both guys you could keep Cobb and then draft Nicks at a little lower of a cost to you.

With that in mind i would keep Cobb due to what is viewed as stability and take my chances on throwing back Nicks and attempting to re-draft him. Nicks probably has higher upside but also has more risk attached, so that's the kind of guy that i throw back and target to re-draft, but if i lose out on him i dont mind because i save myself the worry every week. Cobb is the guy that you can feel more comfortable going into the season as your go-to #1-#2 WR with little injury history
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 378)

Postby duffoholic » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 pm

mycuccismells wrote:
murphysxm wrote:I may be the last one hanging on to the dream, but a healthy Nicks is dominant. He is one of the better red zone targets in the league and Eli loves him. I am a huge fan of Cobb, but Jennings leaving isn't a huge bump from last years numbers simply because Jennings missed so much time anyway. I think upside is actually in Nicks favor, it's just the injuries.....

That was pretty much my sentiment, just relayed slightly different. It also depends on how the keeper structure is determined, are they both kept at the same cost and how many guys get kept? Its obviously early and things will change but Cobb is being talked about as a 3rd round pick (around 30th overall) where Nicks is being talked about closer to a 5th round pick. So depending on how the league is structured if you wanted to have both guys you could keep Cobb and then draft Nicks at a little lower of a cost to you.

With that in mind i would keep Cobb due to what is viewed as stability and take my chances on throwing back Nicks and attempting to re-draft him. Nicks probably has higher upside but also has more risk attached, so that's the kind of guy that i throw back and target to re-draft, but if i lose out on him i dont mind because i save myself the worry every week. Cobb is the guy that you can feel more comfortable going into the season as your go-to #1-#2 WR with little injury history

What do you think Cobb's auction value should be this year (100$ cap)? Nicks?
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 444)

Postby Indibuck » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:18 pm

duffoholic wrote:
mycuccismells wrote:

What do you think Cobb's auction value should be this year (100$ cap)? Nicks?

At this moment, I see 5 WRs that I rate as elite, then a big 2nd tier of guys who have WR1 upside. That 2nd tier includes both Cobb and Nicks.

I am reticent to put a numerical value on players, as every league has different starting and scoring rules, meaning values will vary greatly. That being said, to obtain Nicks/Cobb, I would expect to pay 60-70% of what I pay for Calvin, AJ, Marshall, Thomas, or Julio in an auction format.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby fantasymanager » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:20 pm

This is a close one for sure. Although Cobb has great upside, I see Eli bouncing back and the more consistent Nicks having a huge year. With an improved passing game and teams game planning for Cruz, I think Nicks is te logical choice.

Help me with my keeper dilemma! http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=533370
fantasymanager
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions