Tough Keepers - Value vs Position (Auction) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Tough Keepers - Value vs Position (Auction)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tough Keepers - Value vs Position (Auction)

Postby gumbyke1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Last year was my first year in this league, so I was at a disadvantage from the get-go (I traded for the 2nd year contract players listed). I hope this year to build on what I have been trying to prepare as a decent foundation for my 2013 squad. I need your help with deciding my keepers for 2013. My league rules are as follows:

- Auction Draft (no draft order)
- $300 Salary cap
- 12 Teams
- Can keep 3 players at a 10% salary increase each year kept (A player that was $20 will be $22 the next year if you keep him)
- Players can be kept for a maximum of 3 years
- 16 Player roster (9 Active, 7 Reserves)
- Active positions are as follows: QB-1 RB-2 WR-2 TE-1 FLEX(RB/WR/TE)-1 K-1 DST-1

POSSIBLE KEEPERS
(All prices are listed with 10% penalty already factored in)

Eli Manning $22 (Contract year 2)
CJ Spiller $4 (Contract year 1)
David Wilson $6 (Contract year 1)
Demaryius Thomas $48 (Contract year 1)
Russell Wilson $5 (Contract year 1)
49ers $7 (Contract year 2)

Okay, I am obviously keeping Spiller, but there are a few other interesting picks that have me on the fence. Before I weigh in on my initial thoughts, I would love to hear what you guys think. Remember, this is a $300 Salary Cap, so the value potential is great... but when does value outweigh position?

Thanks!
"We are the World Champions!", said no Philadelphia Eagles player ever.
gumbyke1
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tough Keepers - Value vs Position (Auction)

Postby Indibuck » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:11 am

Welcome to the Cafe.

Spiller is a no-brainer.
I see Wilson as an easy 2nd choice.

For my third choice, I would go with Thomas. He's expensive in comparison to the other two, but spending only $10 on those 2 allows you to lock up an elite WR1 and still have plenty of $ for your auction.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby gumbyke1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:23 am

Just to clarify... you mean David Wilson, not Russel Wilson correct? That was what I was inclined to doing... but something keeps telling me to consider Russell Wilson at that price. I guess it would be wise for me to see what QB's are going to be out there before deciding.

Anyone else care to weigh in?
gumbyke1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby duffoholic » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:32 am

Great first post man, lots of info!

I think the above advice is solid. Wilson could mature into an amazing QB and you know he has the work ethic to keep getting better, something that could be questioned with say Newton.

For the third pick I'll start by eliminating some options... The only defence worth keeping or spending more than 2$ for in my opinion is the Bears. The niners are good but they aren't THAT good. I feel like Eli for 22$ is a good deal but I also think you could get somebody else who is comparable for around the same price next year so I don't think you gain a lot by keeping him ESPECIALLY if you are keeping Wilson already. That leads me to the other Wilson... David Wilson is a really intriguing pick for 6$. I guess the question becomes him or Thomas and for me, the answer lies in what will be available in this years draft for you. Who is coming into the market this year at those two positions. If the WR market will be flooded by players whose contracts are ending, maybe you can take a chance on Wilson and spend you cash on WR's in the draft and vice-versa.

If I had to choose right now, I would take Thomas and lock up three skill guys you know you can start every week (though R. Wilson might be a bit of a chance at this point) leaving you loads of cap space to go out and get another top 5 RB and top 10 WR.

Good luck man!
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 444)

Postby Indibuck » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:37 am

gumbyke1 wrote:Just to clarify... you mean David Wilson, not Russel Wilson correct? That was what I was inclined to doing... but something keeps telling me to consider Russell Wilson at that price. I guess it would be wise for me to see what QB's are going to be out there before deciding.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Correct, I meant the RB Wilson.

While Russell Wilson is intriguing at that price, QB is deep enough that I wouldn't keep one unless you have tremendous value on an elite guy.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby gumbyke1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 am

I'm definitely going to keep the two RB's because well... they are RB's.

Last year was the big year where everyone's contract had expired, so most of the "elite" are not going to be up for grabs (some still will just because of the salary increase). That is what has me nervous about the QB position, and makes me lean towards locking up Russel Wilson. Also I think he has some real potential to explode this year, especially if Seattle adds some weapons to their O. He just keeps getting better and better, and something tells me that's going to continue (he was the highest scoring QB for the last 6 games of the season).

However, I also believe D Thomas is going to be even better this year than last since him and Manning have some time together under their belts now.

I know that I will want both (R Wilson and Thomas) on my team next year... the question just boils down to which one do I keep now. How much do you think each of the players would go for in the draft?
gumbyke1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions