Roll with Wilson? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Roll with Wilson?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Roll with Wilson?

Postby duffoholic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Would you trust Russel Wilson as your starting QB this season? I have in in an auction keeper league for 3$ and am wondering if he will finish top 8 for QBs this season. Otherwise I think I have to make a move for another starter. With the acquisition of Harvin from the Vikings today I feel like his weapons just increased substantially and he definitely has the ground game and o-line to keep the pressure off of him.
What are your thoughts?
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Roll with Wilson?

Postby murphysxm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:37 pm

even if you don't trust him as a starter, which I do, how can you not keep him at $3?
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby duffoholic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm keeping him regardless, just curious on thoughts about him as a starter.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby murphysxm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 pm

I'd want a decent back up, but I really don't see how he won't atleast recreate this years stats. Harvin is a crazy tool added to his game.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby mycuccismells » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 am

I would agree with adding a backup, but i agree that Wilson will be top 8 with top 5 upside on any given week. He was solid last year and that was with them relying on their defense and Lynch to win them games. This year i think they are going to give him a little bit more freedom, they are paying Harvin big money and Wilson has that playoff experience to build off of. I would add someone along the likes of a Big Ben or an Eli or Romo, anyone in that 10-15 tier that falls the cheapest.

I actually have Wilson in a re-draft keeper league where you keep 3 guys and I'm trying to figure out a way to keep him. With Spiller, Morris and Lamar Miller on my roster though its going to be tough
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby duffoholic » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:20 pm

mycuccismells wrote:
I actually have Wilson in a re-draft keeper league where you keep 3 guys and I'm trying to figure out a way to keep him. With Spiller, Morris and Lamar Miller on my roster though its going to be tough

I keep hearing things about Miami targeting another back through free agency and with Turner, Bradshaw, SJax and Mendy all available Miller could get overshadowed if they nab somebody. Who knows right now though.

The dilemma I have been having with the QB question is really about Cam Newton. Aside from feeling attached because I have his jersey, I think he will continue to be top 5 fantasy-wise for a long while. I'd like to get him too but fear the costs of matching him would be too high since I already have Foster and Charles chewing away 46$ of cap space. I guess right now I feel safer taking both Newton and Wilson (with newton going for around 20$ I would guess...) and covering my QB bases. If both play as well as I think they will I can always trade Wilson away for a high end WR and backup QB.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby mycuccismells » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:33 pm

duffoholic wrote:I keep hearing things about Miami targeting another back through free agency and with Turner, Bradshaw, SJax and Mendy all available Miller could get overshadowed if they nab somebody. Who knows right now though.

The dilemma I have been having with the QB question is really about Cam Newton. Aside from feeling attached because I have his jersey, I think he will continue to be top 5 fantasy-wise for a long while. I'd like to get him too but fear the costs of matching him would be too high since I already have Foster and Charles chewing away 46$ of cap space. I guess right now I feel safer taking both Newton and Wilson (with newton going for around 20$ I would guess...) and covering my QB bases. If both play as well as I think they will I can always trade Wilson away for a high end WR and backup QB.

Unfortunately i have Miller, Dwyer, Redman and Leshoure; all looked like possible keepers at the end of the year but the offseason could kill every single last one of them.

As far as Newton goes I'm in the same boat as you, i think he will be a stud for at least a good 5-7 years. The thing is that I think Wilson has the potential to be as good as Newton for the long term, and you get him at a much cheaper price. Im not very familiar with auction leagues, but would selling the rights to Wilson be a possibility? If you could sell him for say $10 that would allow you to get Newton for a net loss of $10; which i would much prefer over keeping Wilson for the $3
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby duffoholic » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:08 pm

My league doesn't allow for cap trading. My best bet is to try and trade him for a player of equally cheap cost like, for example, Spiller for 2$ (!). I wish that deal would go through. It is really complicated to make trades in an auction style league with quasi-three year contracts.

It is tough with those two guys too because of how good Newton would be if he had Wilson's work ethic.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby Indibuck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:46 pm

I face a somewhat similar dilemma in my $ keeper league... I ended the year with Cam, RGIII, and Wilson, and I can only keep one. Before Week 16, I thought I had a (relatively) easy decision. Now it's going to be a really tough one. I'm leaning Cam at this point.

As stated above, I wish that you could put Wilson's brain in Cam's body.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby mycuccismells » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:23 am

duffoholic wrote:My league doesn't allow for cap trading. My best bet is to try and trade him for a player of equally cheap cost like, for example, Spiller for 2$ (!). I wish that deal would go through. It is really complicated to make trades in an auction style league with quasi-three year contracts.

It is tough with those two guys too because of how good Newton would be if he had Wilson's work ethic.

I agree, Newton is much more skilled than Wilson but i just dont think he cares enough about developing. He looks like a guy that just wants to go out there and have fun, which will lead to the inconsistency we saw the last 2 years. If you are really set on Cam though maybe try trading Wilson for a guy like Lamar Miller or one of the Giants young running backs. There is a lot of uncertainty with those guys so it could bite you but if they dont sign another RB there then it could be a home run, depends on your willingness to take risks.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions