NY Giants give Victor Cruz a first round tender, will allow restricted free agent to test value on open market John Mara says Monday that the Giants have made a 'very substantial' offer to Cruz but the sides are still far apart. 'If someone's willing to pay more than we're willing to pay, then we'll have to say goodbye.' By Ralph Vacchiano / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, March 11, 2013, 3:46 PM
John Mara knows the Giants are taking a “risk” leaving Victor Cruz exposed on the restricted free agent market. But at the moment Cruz’s price is too high and there’s only so far the Giants are willing to go to keep him.
How much of a risk it is will become clear over the next month after the Giants officially gave Cruz a “first round” restricted free agent tender on Monday. That tender is worth a $2.879 million contract for Cruz this year —more than double the $1.31 million he’s made in salaries during his first three NFL seasons.
But the risk is that Cruz can field offers from other teams for a much more lucrative, long-term contract. The Giants would have the right to match (and five days to do it). They’d also be owed a first-round pick from any team that signs him if they don't match the offer.
But it opens up the possibility that one of their most popular players — a local (Paterson, N.J.) hero and a recent Pro Bowler — could have already played his last game for his hometown team.
“At some point, if somebody’s willing to pay more than we’re willing to pay,” Mara said, “then we’ll have to say goodbye.
“Certainly we have the wherewithal to match just about any offer,” Mara added on Monday at 30 Rockefeller Center, where he attended a press conference to announce the NFL’s new “Head Health Initiative” with GE. “It’s just a question of whether we want to do it and what the number is going to be. We’ve made him a very substantial offer, but his agent feels like he wants to test the market a little bit and that's his right to do that.
Victor Cruz signs his one-year, $2.879M tender with the NY Giants, according to sources By doing so, Cruz beat a Monday deadline where the Giants had the option of reducing his tender all the way down to $630,000. By Ralph Vacchiano / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Friday, June 14, 2013, 11:53 AM Updated: Saturday, June 15, 2013, 9:34 AM
Victor Cruz’s long-term future with the Giants is still uncertain. But at least he is now signed up for one more year.
The Giants’ star receiver ended months of angst on Friday when he finally returned to the Meadowlands and signed his one-year, $2.879 million tender, according to several NFL sources. By doing so, he beat a Monday deadline where the Giants could have — and might have — reduced his tender by more than $2.2 million.
Even though he is looking for a long-term deal worth more than $9 million per season, he was apparently unwilling to walk away from that much.
Cruz’s return presumably eliminates the Giants’ biggest offseason headache, which has loomed over all their offseason business for months. The 26-year-old, salsa-dancing star skipped the Giants’ entire offseason program while contract talks dragged on, including the three-day, full-team minicamp they wrapped up on Thursday.
His hope was to land the lucrative, long-term contract that has been negotiated on and off for more than eight months. According to a source familiar with the talks, they have been largely stalled for weeks, though they are ongoing. One source who has been in contact with Cruz’s camp told the Daily News the Giants’ latest offer is worth an average of somewhere between $8 million and $8.5 million per season.
If the deal was between 8-8.5 million I think he should have taken it. I had read somewhere that is was more like 7 million. I'm curious what this amount really was.
If it was 8-8.5 I think he is stupid for not signing the deal. If it was 7 million I would do the same thing then move on next year without giving the Giants a chance to bid. Given NFL contracts are not really contracts until the player fulfills the whole thing I would personally not put up with this type of low balling. If it were me I would not give the team low balling a chance to bid.
Cowboys 4 life
(Past Year: 79)
Joined: 18 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits
Wouldn't be surprised one bit if we see Cruz in a different lockerroom, but the same stadium next season. NYJ will be under the cap next season and Holmes will most likely be cut after this season. It would be an easy move for Cruz as well, which is definitely something he will take into consideration. One more interesting thing is that he is represented by Jay-Z. The money and endorsements are something to consider by staying in NY.