Mendenhall signs with Cards - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mendenhall signs with Cards

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mendenhall signs with Cards

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Cardinals agreed to terms with RB Rashard Mendenhall, formerly of the Steelers, on a one-year contract.
The addition throws a wrench into Ryan Williams' 2013 fantasy football outlook, though the two young backs will likely wage a camp battle. Cardinals coach Bruce Arians believes in true feature backs as opposed to committees, evidenced by his Mendenhall usage in Pittsburgh and Vick Ballard in Indy last year. Mendenhall is only 26 years old, and will be a full season removed from his ACL tear in 2013. Once compared to Edgerrin James by Arians, Mendenhall will probably shape up as a middle-round fantasy pick behind a weak Arizona offensive line.
Related: Steelers
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 13 - 1:45 PM
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Mendenhall signs with Cards

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 am

Not exactly earth-shattering news at this point in time:

Rashard Mendenhall is Cardinals' starter, says Arians
By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: June 19, 2013 at 09:04 a.m.
Updated: June 19, 2013 at 09:38 a.m

A report out of Phoenix last week noted that free-agent acquisition Rashard Mendenhall had already established himself as the No. 1 running back for the Arizona Cardinals, separating from Ryan Williams.

Appearing on NFL Network's "NFL AM" Wednesday, head coach Bruce Arians confirmed "there's no doubt" that Mendenhall would be the featured back if the season started today.

"Rashard is just 25 years old (turns 26 on Wednesday)," Arians said. "He took me personally to a Super Bowl, and I know what he can bring to the table as a runner and a pass protector and also a receiver. He's an every-down player. And I think he's looking forward to having an outstanding season."

Although Mendenhall's early 2012 knee surgery led to a bout with Achilles tendinitis last season, it's no longer an issue and "he's ready to go," Arians assured.

The takeaway here is that Arians is shying away from a timeshare in his backfield. After touting Mendenhall in March as a "big back who never has to come out of the game," Arians is now making it clear that the former Steelers first-round pick is a three-down running back.

Barring an injury to Mendenhall, Williams appears to be in line for a change-of-pace role. Rookies Andre Ellington and Stepfan Taylor figure to be brought along slowly, only to be used in case of emergency.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ays-arians
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Damn I was desperate for a QB in a dynasty and traded him away for Ponder and a pick before he went to AZ. Now Im a little weak at RB because of it.

My hopes were he got into a share situation with the younger backs. Then Harvin goes to Seattle and it got even worse. :-P
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Indibuck » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 pm

I think Mendy puts up RB2 numbers this year, although I would feel more comfortable with him as my RB3.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Return to Football Talk