Dynasty League Keeper question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Dynasty League Keeper question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dynasty League Keeper question

Postby tyslindsay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:39 pm

So i just joined my first dynasty league by taking over an existing team and am curious as to how many players should be kept. I can keep 15 and lose that many picks in the FA draft(ie keep 6 players, first pick is in 7th round) We start: 1QB 1RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex 1Def 1K and there are 12 teams...My team:
QB
Jake Locker
Carson Palmer
Ben Roethlisberger
RB
CJ Spiller
Isiah Pead
Daryl Richardson
Reggie Bush
Jon Stewart
Beannie Wells
WR
Brandon Marshall
Randall Cobb
Percy Harvin
Miles Austin
Dwayne Bowe
Leonard Hankerson
Brandon Lafell
Rod Streeter
TE
Vernon Davis
Jared Cook
Greg Olson
Def
San Francisco
K
Shaun Suisham

Im just not sure if i should keep the max or try to keep a small amount of player
tyslindsay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dynasty League Keeper question

Postby duffoholic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:09 am

This is an interesting format. You're in a bad position unless you know how many players were thrown back into the pool last year. Having your first pick in the 7th round sounds bad unless all the other teams don't have a pick until the 12th. I would guess that the talent is going to be pretty slim though so I would keep anybody you think you will be able to start.

Without thinking about it much I'd be keeping... (by position, in order or preference)
Rothlisberger, Locker
Spiller, Bush, Richardson, Stewart
Marshall, Cobb, Harvin, Bowe, and maybe one of the other guys but probably not.
Davis and maybe olsen...

So this is 12, dropping Stewart and Olsen takes you to 10.
This is just what I would look to do on the assumption that most the free agent draft is essentially a rookie draft.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 425)

Postby tyslindsay » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:20 am

duffoholic wrote:This is an interesting format. You're in a bad position unless you know how many players were thrown back into the pool last year. Having your first pick in the 7th round sounds bad unless all the other teams don't have a pick until the 12th. I would guess that the talent is going to be pretty slim though so I would keep anybody you think you will be able to start.

Without thinking about it much I'd be keeping... (by position, in order or preference)
Rothlisberger, Locker
Spiller, Bush, Richardson, Stewart
Marshall, Cobb, Harvin, Bowe, and maybe one of the other guys but probably not.
Davis and maybe olsen...

So this is 12, dropping Stewart and Olsen takes you to 10.
This is just what I would look to do on the assumption that most the free agent draft is essentially a rookie draft.

Ya i pretty much had the same list plus Miles Austin. I also might keep Beannie if he goes to Pitt and they dont do anything else with their RB situation. I think the FA pool will be pretty thin
tyslindsay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby wtr23 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:00 am

Really I only see 4 'keepers' here. Spiller Is your best option at RB and he should continue to produce nice fantasy numbers. With Jennings gone Cobb's stock is on the rise. Marshall is a top 5 WR, a must have. And with Harvin moving to Seattle I'd keep him as well.

A couple borderline picks I have... With sjax leaving St Louis I'd keep Richardson to back up Spiller. If you had to keep one QB I'd take Big Ben, though you're probably looking for a younger, less injury-prone QB in the draft. I really don't like those QBs you've been stuck with, wouldn't keep any of them really. I'm pretty sure at least one QB will be thrown back that you could upgrade to.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 237)

Postby duffoholic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:07 am

wtr23 wrote:Really I only see 4 'keepers' here. Spiller Is your best option at RB and he should continue to produce nice fantasy numbers. With Jennings gone Cobb's stock is on the rise. Marshall is a top 5 WR, a must have. And with Harvin moving to Seattle I'd keep him as well.

A couple borderline picks I have... With sjax leaving St Louis I'd keep Richardson to back up Spiller. If you had to keep one QB I'd take Big Ben, though you're probably looking for a younger, less injury-prone QB in the draft. I really don't like those QBs you've been stuck with, wouldn't keep any of them really. I'm pretty sure at least one QB will be thrown back that you could upgrade to.

I agree with everything you're saying here but because of the format I think you have to keep as much talent as you can since there are potentially 80-120 players being kept. With this roster I would try to go with below the average as the roster you've inherited isn't a particularly great twelve teamer. That is to say that, if the average team keeps 6 players, you should pick your six best players to keep, the average team keeps 10, you keep around the same or a few less.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 425)

Postby Indibuck » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Is the draft a combined FA/rookie draft, or free agents only?
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 173)

Postby tyslindsay » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Indibuck wrote:Is the draft a combined FA/rookie draft, or free agents only?

Separate drafts
tyslindsay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby tyslindsay » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:53 pm

I believe a few teams have already done their cuts as they are both down to exactly 15. ill prolly keep about that many. both teams kept a kicker which i dont get and 1 kept their defense
tyslindsay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:50 am

tyslindsay wrote:I believe a few teams have already done their cuts as they are both down to exactly 15. ill prolly keep about that many. both teams kept a kicker which i dont get and 1 kept their defense

Actually keeping a defense and kicker makes some sense to me, if all teams are keeping 15 guys for the most part there isnt going to be much thrown back. If you have a kicker or defense that you trust then why throw them back to get something like a WR5?? I would assume by the way this is shaping up that most teams will be keeping 12-15 guys so the best strategy is to keep anyone you think has value now or potential value in the future.

I would keep the guys below which comes out to exactly 15. Gives you a QB for now and potentially one for the future if Locker turns out to be anything. Spiller, Bush and Stewart are obvious picks and i would keep both of those STL RBs as they can both potentially win the starting job. Your WRs are all pretty obvious, I can see throwing LaFell back but by doing so you are essentially saying you dont think hes a top 70 receiver and i dont know if thats true, there is still some potential there.

QB
Jake Locker
Ben Roethlisberger
RB
CJ Spiller
Isiah Pead
Daryl Richardson
Reggie Bush
Jon Stewart
WR
Brandon Marshall
Randall Cobb