Andre Johnson for Reggie Bush...am I crazy?! WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Andre Johnson for Reggie Bush...am I crazy?! WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Andre Johnson for Reggie Bush...am I crazy?! WHIR

Postby Captain Eddie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:47 am

Not crazy...maybe a bit desperate.

As others said, you are between the dog and the fire hydrant right now.

Given this is all for fun, I would suggest you go into rebuilding mode.

Try to make a couple big trades to get a couple studs to build around, and by that I mean offer 2-3 of your players for a single player. Say Kaepernick, Sproles and Jackson for a true RB1, and Harvin, Bush and Olsen for a true WR1, etc. Give quantity for quality, because frankly I think your team stinks.

If I understand you correctly, if everyone is keeping there guys, then nobody will have a 1st round, 2nd round pick, etc. If everyone else kept 5 or more guys and you only keep 2, does that mean you would have the first 3 picks in the draft?

Bottom line...try deal everyone on your roster for a couple studs, throw the rest back.
Captain Eddie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby duffoholic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:39 am

Captain Eddie wrote:Not crazy...maybe a bit desperate.

As others said, you are between the dog and the fire hydrant right now.

Given this is all for fun, I would suggest you go into rebuilding mode.

Try to make a couple big trades to get a couple studs to build around, and by that I mean offer 2-3 of your players for a single player. Say Kaepernick, Sproles and Jackson for a true RB1, and Harvin, Bush and Olsen for a true WR1, etc. Give quantity for quality, because frankly I think your team stinks.

If I understand you correctly, if everyone is keeping there guys, then nobody will have a 1st round, 2nd round pick, etc. If everyone else kept 5 or more guys and you only keep 2, does that mean you would have the first 3 picks in the draft?

Bottom line...try deal everyone on your roster for a couple studs, throw the rest back.

This is pretty much the approach I would take too... Otherwise I just don't see how you get back in the race.
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 444)

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 am

Didn't really think about going that direction but i think i would agree with you as well. Find someone that has a few studs but not a ton of depth and try and work a deal like that. If you can get a couple of great guys to build around with your first 2 picks it would allow you to just take some gambles in the draft and hope to get lucky. Like everyone has said your team isn't really built for the present or for the future, so if you ride it out its going to just get worse before it gets any better. You just need to get a couple of building blocks and go young in the draft and hope to at least give yourself a chance for future years
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 378)

Postby srlarson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:46 pm

yea the only two guys I see worth keeping are Kap and Harvin......if everyone is keeping Iwould make sure I got the first couple of picks....worst case you get your stiffs back..... and I sorry in a non ppr, limited yardage league....both Sproles and Bush are no better the RB 4's....I would take fliers on all rookies first. going to have to churn through a few years to get a few good guys to build on. Good Luck!!
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Postby mycuccismells » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:18 pm

srlarson wrote:yea the only two guys I see worth keeping are Kap and Harvin......if everyone is keeping Iwould make sure I got the first couple of picks....worst case you get your stiffs back..... and I sorry in a non ppr, limited yardage league....both Sproles and Bush are no better the RB 4's....I would take fliers on all rookies first. going to have to churn through a few years to get a few good guys to build on. Good Luck!!

It said standard scoring with marginal yardage bonuses, not limited yardage league. Sproles had over 900 yards and 8 TDs this year in only 13 games, which would be around 1100 yards and 10 TDs if he didnt miss time. He had 1300 yards and 9 TDs last year in 16 games so i think that we are looking at him being in the 11-12PPG range in non PPR. Sure that doesnt make him a stud but i dont know about RB4, that means you are saying around 35-40 Rbs will be scoring an average of double digit fantasy points in a standard league.

Reggie had 1300 yards 8 TD this year and 1300 7TD last year; and you can argue that he was severely underused this year. There is no doubt that he is going to lose goal line touches next year as well, but in an offense that runs as many plays as the Lions do i expect him to get plenty of touches. Plus with Calvin opening things up and keeping the D honest its a system that lends itself to a RB. Not to mention he has averaged 10+ PPG in standard leagues the last 2 years so same reasoning as with Sproles.

Point being is that these 2 guys should have very established roles on their teams this year, and should be pretty safe bets for double digit points most weeks. By no means are they RB1s or even RB2s in a standard league, but they can be very high end flex players with decent upside on a week to week basis.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby Captain Eddie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:42 pm

But I think if you dig closer, you will see inconsistency. Didn't Bush have like 30% of his yards in one game?

Point is, these are not studs and you cannot build your team around them going forward.

Keeping and starting them will guarantee mediocrity. As posted above, you can throw these guys back and take a chance someone better will be there with the acquired pick. At the very least you could pick them back up.

Again my take would be to overwhelm someone with quantity in a trade for quality....and free up a few picks.
Captain Eddie
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 79)

Postby mycuccismells » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 am

Captain Eddie wrote:But I think if you dig closer, you will see inconsistency. Didn't Bush have like 30% of his yards in one game?

Point is, these are not studs and you cannot build your team around them going forward.

Keeping and starting them will guarantee mediocrity. As posted above, you can throw these guys back and take a chance someone better will be there with the acquired pick. At the very least you could pick them back up.

Again my take would be to overwhelm someone with quantity in a trade for quality....and free up a few picks.

His inconsistency was more due to usage and injury than anything else. He started out the year with 312 yards and 2 TDs in his first 2 games followed by 457 and 2TDs in his next 8 after his injury. One of the big differences is that he had 49 touches in the first 2 games and 110 over his next 8. Weeks 14-16 he got his touches back and got 314 yards and 3TDs on 63 touches.

He was definitely injured from around week 3-8 and then for the next few weeks they had lost a little trust in him and stopped using him but when he was semi healthy and getting 20 touches he was getting you 100 yards and a TD. I think on a team like Detroit he can get 250-300 touches no problem if he stays healthy and he can push close to the 1500 all purpose yards with 10TDs. Not necessarily a stud you can build your team around but not someone i necessarily want to just throw back in the pot.

If he could throw them back and guarantee getting them back then that would be one thing, but there is no guarantee. What if someone else only keeps 1-2 guys as well and they split these RBs and he loses bush but is able to get back Sproles because no one better is out there? You have to remember that the top 40-50 guys will probably be kept which will include the top 20-25 RBs most likely. In a league obsessed with RBs people arent going to get rid of them, so what are the odds that he throws back Bush or Sproles and gets a better RB?? Who are those RBs that someone is throwing back that he can realistically expect to be sitting there for him??

All of that being said i completely agree with the idea of trying to do a 2 or 3 for 1 trade if he can pull that off. Blowing up the whole team for 2 studs is by far the way to go if he can make it happen
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions