Return to Football Talk

Matt Forte

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matt Forte

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Bears coach Marc Trestman has big plans for Matt Forte
BY ADAM L. JAHNS ajahns@suntimes.com March 22, 2013 11:32PM
Updated: March 23, 2013 2:10AM

Running back Matt Forte better be up for doing big things — and doing them from a lot of different places — this upcoming season.

Because new Bears coach and noted offensive guru Marc Trestman absolutely loves him. He couldn’t stop gushing about him during the NFL owners meetings this past week in Phoenix. Trestman has spent more time watching and evaluating Forte than any other player who isn’t quarterback Jay Cutler.

“I just got done looking at all his catches from 2010,” Trestman said. “He was on the line of scrimmage, he was running out of the backfield [and] he is great in space. He has a skill set that goes full spectrum of what you want out of a running back. He can run inside. He can run outside. He can catch the ball extremely well. I saw him as a very good route runner. I saw him in slants in 2010. I saw him run rail routes, sideline routes.

“He’s extremely versatile from what I’ve seen over the stretch of plays that I’ve watched. That’s something I know more about because I’ve watched so much tape on him to try to establish what we need to get done with him in training camp. He can do everything.”

Trestman likened Forte, who’s coming off an injury-plagued 2012, to running back Charlie Garner, who totaled 1,903 yards from scrimmage and had 11 touchdowns in 2002 when he and Trestman were with the Oakland Raiders.

Last year, it seemed as if the Bears didn’t know how to best use Forte’s skills, and his production decreased.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football ... forte.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Matt Forte

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Matt Forte will play huge role in Bears’ passing game
BY KALYN KAHLER kkahler@suntimes.com July 17, 2013 8:56PM

Bears training camp starts next week, and it’s clear the world running back Matt Forte knew during his first five seasons with the team is about to undergo a drastic change.

“In this offense,” Forte said Wednesday, “the running back runs a lot of routes and is able to catch the ball a lot.”

Last season, Forte had a career-low 44 receptions and 340 receiving yards. In new coach Marc Trestman’s 10 NFL seasons as an offensive coordinator or quarterbacks coach, his lead back averaged 65 catches a season. Forte, who caught a career-high 63 passes as a rookie in 2008, said that compared to last season, bigger things will be expected of him and he’s ready for a more versatile role.

“I’m able to catch the ball; I’m willing to catch it,” Forte said. “I expect a lot out of myself. I’m looking for a big year for our team as a whole, as well as an explosive offense.”

Forte said the Bears’ revamped offensive line will be the foundation of the explosive offense and help his production out of the backfield.

He’s excited about the additions of Pro Bowl left tackle Jermon Bushrod, left guard Matt Slauson — who didn’t allow a sack last season for the New York Jets — and draft pick Kyle Long, a guard from Oregon.

con't...

more: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football ... -game.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Re: Matt Forte

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:51 am

Forte should have a monster year in PPR. In a full season healthy in Trestman's offense I would expect him to catch between 70-90 passes.

Here is Trestman's history as OC with top pass catching back.

1989 - Eric Metcalf (Cle) - 54 rec
1995 - Derek Loville (SF) - 87 rec (William Floyd 54 rec)
1996 - Terry Kirby (SF) - 54 rec (3 other RB combined for 70 rec)
1998 - Larry Centers (Ari) - 69 rec
1999 - Adrian Murrell (Ari) - 49 rec
2000 - Michael Pittman (Ari) - 73 rec (T. Jones 32 rec)
2002 - Charlie Garner (Oak) - 91 rec
2003 - Charlie Garner (Oak) - 48 rec

Brandon Marshall should have another excellent year as well.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Football Talk