Top 10 RB's for a keeper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Top 10 RB's for a keeper

Moderator: Football Moderators

Top 10 RB's for a keeper

Postby duffoholic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:57 am

Outside of AP and Foster, the 'obvious' 1 and 2, who do you like this season to have a break out year and who stands to remain at the top for years to come?

I really like Charles and Spiller this season but it is hard to ignore guys like Martin, Morris and Lynch. I'm not sold on TRich as I see him being a perennial injury concern who misses 3-6 games a year with injuries or plays hurt most of the season.

I guess my list goes...
Martin, Spiller, Lynch, Morris, Charles, TRich
And I think you could argue that Foster could drop out of the #2 spot in keeper/dynasty formats.

What are your rankings and why?
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Top 10 RB's for a keeper

Postby Norseman36 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:14 pm

AP- Obviously
Foster- Would be #1, but I'm unsure on his heart condition and his ypg dipped last year
Spiller- Should be a BEAST with a run-happy head coach who should give him 80%+ of the carries
Martin- Solid, Ray Rice style.

Really, I might even take Spiller/Martin over Foster. Any of those four would be great to keep.
Norseman36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 11stever11 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:25 pm

1) AP-I don't think he will reach the yard mark again, but #1 in keeper leagues.
2) Doug Martin-I think he will contiune to improve
3) Trent Richardson-He will have plenty of carries and should be fully healthy.
4) CJ Spiller-His upside is huge with his ability to catch the ball
5) Arian Foster-I am worried about his YPC average, but he will have the workload.
6) Ray Rice-He will have the carries and is consistent
7) Jamaal Charles-He will have some huge games and some okay games; if he is consistent he can be top 5
8) LeSean McCoy-I expect him to get the carries, not worried about Brown.
9) Marshawn Lynch-He has quite a few carries for his age.
10) Alfred Morris-If he repeats his rookie season, he will be top 5 RB.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby wtr23 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:41 pm

AP- outstanding last season. He won't repeat those numbers but Minnesota relies heavily on his production on a weekly basis, moreso than the other backs

Foster- high volume of carries... another offense that relies havily on the RB but the cast and crew is better than Minnesota

Martin- young talent that shows plenty of promise the next 5+ years

Spiller- his yards per carry/rec numbers are ridiculous, they just need to give him the ball !!

Lynch- high volume but a lot of talent around him.

Morris- No Shanahanigans here, he's the clear #1 back here. I imagine RGIII scrambles less next season after the injury, that means more carries for Morris. Top 5 potential

Rice- the workload is there, the loss of boldin puts even more pressure on him to perform.

T-Rich- Has the skill set and really leads the offense, but he played hurt for a good part of the season. Thats not reassuring looking to the future, he falls a couple slots on my list.

McCoy- talented back who can run and catch out of the backfield, but there's so much talent around him. With a running QB and Chip Kelly favoring the 2 RB approach he falls down the list as well.

Charles- hot and cold back on a team in the middle of a rebuilding period. Hard to tell what he's going to do week by week, but he's best of the rest.
(sig by soty)
wtr23
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 224)

Postby Norseman36 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:42 am

I have a hard time putting Richardson in the top 5 because of injury concerns. He did play through them pretty well last season, though.
Norseman36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby sn267537 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:53 pm

bush, greene, bradshaw, gore

not top 10 guys, but quieter guys and guys not mentioned above.

inconsistantcy, injuries, age, and the teams they play for hold them back. not saying theyll be a surprise and carry your team. but could be solid guys later in the draft, bench depth, potentially added in trades to improve rosters
sn267537
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Indibuck » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:31 pm

First, a disclaimer: when I evaluate keepers, I am concerned with the next 2 seasons. Too many get caught up in falling in love with a project (a hot name right now is Lamar Miller) that they will keep over a better veteran. Don't get too cute. It's not a dynasty league. Most keeper leagues only allow you to keep 1-4 players... You don't have room to reach (and miss) on a project. ONLY If two players are tied, long-term value is the tiebreaker a la dynasty style.

My order as of right now, no PPR:

1. AP. He's a machine. Should have at least a few more seasons of elite production.
2. Marshawn Lynch. Tremendous talent upgrades over the past year in SEA means less stacking the box against the run. Beast mode time! In PPR leagues, he drops several spots.
3. Doug Martin. Great talent on a run-first team.
4. Trent Richardson. If he can stay healthy, he will get the work to put up #1 overall RB numbers.
5. Arian Foster. I am probably lower than most on him, but I am concerned with the total number of touches over the past several years. He's a great candidate to sell high on if you own him.
6. Jamaal Charles. LOVE the addition of Andy Reid, Alex Smith is good enough to keep defenses honest against the run. He's my #3 RB in PPR leagues.
7. LeSean McCoy. I think he's the main man in the Chip Kelly offense. Might be undervalued at this spot.
8. Alfred Morris. I am concerned that Morris may not be as effective with a limited RG3.
9. Steven Jackson. Probably much higher than most, but I think he can end up with some huge numbers in this offense. I think he has two years left and that's long enough for me in a keeper league.
10. Ray Rice. I have concerns with the loss of Boldin and the emergence of Pierce. I would move him up a few spots in PPR.
11. CJ Spiller. As much talent as anyone in the top 10, but concerns about a new coach, a new QB, a shaky OL, and the health of Fred Jackson give him a lower floor than the others.
12. MJD. The forgotten man. Even with a poor QB, the man can still produce.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby duffoholic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Indibuck wrote:1. AP. He's a machine. Should have at least a few more seasons of elite production.
2. Marshawn Lynch. Tremendous talent upgrades over the past year in SEA means less stacking the box against the run. Beast mode time! In PPR leagues, he drops several spots.
4. Trent Richardson. If he can stay healthy, he will get the work to put up #1 overall RB numbers.
5. Arian Foster. I am probably lower than most on him, but I am concerned with the total number of touches over the past several years. He's a great candidate to sell high on if you own him.
6. Jamaal Charles. LOVE the addition of Andy Reid, Alex Smith is good enough to keep defenses honest against the run. He's my #3 RB in PPR leagues.
7. LeSean McCoy. I think he's the main man in the Chip Kelly offense. Might be undervalued at this spot.
8. Alfred Morris. I am concerned that Morris may not be as effective with a limited RG3.
9. Steven Jackson. Probably much higher than most, but I think he can end up with some huge numbers in this offense. I think he has two years left and that's long enough for me in a keeper league.
10. Ray Rice. I have concerns with the loss of Boldin and the emergence of Pierce. I would move him up a few spots in PPR.
11. CJ Spiller. As much talent as anyone in the top 10, but concerns about a new coach, a new QB, a shaky OL, and the health of Fred Jackson give him a lower floor than the others.

Thanks Buck, great insight. I agree with everything here though I may be lower on TRich than most and would probably drop him a few spots down the rank, bumping everybody else up accordingly. I'd love to sell high on Foster but don't see it happening with his price tag (30$ in a 100$ auction).
12 team auction (100$)
Wilson 3$, Dalton 4$
Foster $30, Charles $16, Tate 2$, Wilson 10$
V. Jackson 10$, Boldin 3$, Garcon 4$, Witten, 4$, T. Austin $5, Patterson 2$, Tate 3$, Dobson 1$
Tucker, K 1$,Tynes, K 1$
NYG D, 1$
duffoholic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 421)

Postby mycuccismells » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Indibuck wrote:1. AP. He's a machine. Should have at least a few more seasons of elite production.

I agree with all of the reasons above, but slightly disagree with the order. Mine would go
1. AP
2. Lynch
3. Martin
4. Foster
5. Richardson
6. Spiller
7. Rice
8. McCoy
9. Charles
10. Morris
11. Jackson
12. MJD

I worry about the health of Richardson, i heard something this week where he said he feared that the rib injury would continue to bug him, but if healthy i agree he can be #1-#2 no problem. that 6-9 spot is tough because i think they are ALL question marks right now, but all have tons of upside. I worry about Rice and McCoy after their backups had some great years last year, could lose some touches. Charles is too boom or bust for me and with that offense I dont know what you are going to get.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Indibuck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:33 pm

I think the "fear factor" we've heard on Richardson is much ado about nothing. He played from Week 5 on with the broken ribs... They may cause some lingering pain, but TRich has already proven he's tough enough to play with it. And barring further injury, the pain he may experience going forward is going to be next to nothing compared to what he played through last year.

I'm more interested in the development of this offense under Chudzinski and Turner.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Next

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions