Need Basic help about Fantasy football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Need Basic help about Fantasy football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need Basic help about Fantasy football

Postby preeti222 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 am

My friends have finally strong armed me into joining their Fantasy Football League.I am a football fan and watch every game I can but have never done FF.Can anyone recommend a single magazine or book that will provide me with the basics, worksheets and thoughts. and is it too late to join the ff league in this season ?
preeti222
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need Basic help about Fantasy football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:19 am

preeti222 wrote:My friends have finally strong armed me into joining their Fantasy Football League.I am a football fan and watch every game I can but have never done FF.Can anyone recommend a single magazine or book that will provide me with the basics, worksheets and thoughts. and is it too late to join the ff league in this season ?

First off Welcome to the Cafe. You will find tons of information on this site if you look around. during the off season it dies down a bit like now but when training camp starts it ramps up. There are great articles, mock drafts, insight on different strategies.

Magazines are written way in advance and become out dated by the time you draft. If you follow this site and look around you will see a lot of helpful stuff posted. You will also see mock drafts, rankings, etc come out that will help you draft.

If you stay and ask around I can guarantee you will be competitive in that league and with luck win it all and piss off your friends :-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mycuccismells » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:42 am

I would also recommend going to a site like www.rotoworld.com and reading through their article archives. They have some good articles on general fantasy football strategy, and even some of the outdated articles will just give you a feel for how to play. Any specific questions you come up with though are better to ask
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:29 am

This thread at the top of the beginner's forum (helpful links) has a lot of great links that should give you all the info you need. The last post in that thread gives a link to one of the best "newbie" threads on the Cafe:

viewtopic.php?t=329434

Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby mycuccismells » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:53 am

One of the best tips i can give you is just to stay active in the league, not only will that make you better but it will make you enjoy it more. That not only means following along on game day, but staying active during the week in the way of trades and waiver pick ups and everything else.

If you really want to win and arent just in it for the fun then find a few websites that you like and check up on them every couple of days during the season. There are also a number of great podcasts on itunes that are free that you can subscribe to and listen to during the season for all of the latest news and tips. If you want to get a feel for fantasy football listening though some of the archives and offseason podcasts would be helpful. Also if you have XM radio there is a fantasy station which focuses on football when its in season and makes for good listening.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby preeti222 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:21 am

mycuccismells wrote:One of the best tips i can give you is just to stay active in the league, not only will that make you better but it will make you enjoy it more. That not only means following along on game day, but staying active during the week in the way of trades and waiver pick ups and everything else.

If you really want to win and arent just in it for the fun then find a few websites that you like and check up on them every couple of days during the season. There are also a number of great podcasts on itunes that are free that you can subscribe to and listen to during the season for all of the latest news and tips. If you want to get a feel for fantasy football listening though some of the archives and offseason podcasts would be helpful. Also if you have XM radio there is a fantasy station which focuses on football when its in season and makes for good listening.

Thanks for reply.I really want to stay active in FF league.But I get confuse about draft strategy. I checked out few sites and most of them seem to recommend NOT drafting QBs in the early rounds.(but don't know why). I am not able to decide whether to with my gut or should depend on projections?
preeti222
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mycuccismells » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:34 am

preeti222 wrote:Thanks for reply.I really want to stay active in FF league.But I get confuse about draft strategy. I checked out few sites and most of them seem to recommend NOT drafting QBs in the early rounds.(but don't know why). I am not able to decide whether to with my gut or should depend on projections?

The thread right before yours is where i laid out my whole opinion on some basic draft strategy, see the link below and see if that helps

viewtopic.php?t=533458
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Postby T-Lo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 am

Except for extremely dedicated fantasy football leagues, this year's season hasn't even started. It won't until August or so.

Other than the direction these other gents have pointed you to, I would just recommend going after players you like for your first year. Unless you have an extreme desire to 100% win, choosing players you already enjoy will give you more reason to root for them when you watch their games. Even with this though, don't pass up on extremely valuable players if they are there.
T-Lo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 68)

Postby preeti222 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:57 am

mycuccismells wrote:
The thread right before yours is where i laid out my whole opinion on some basic draft strategy, see the link below and see if that helps

viewtopic.php?t=533458

Thanks for sharing this link.I just went through it and Its really helpful.
preeti222
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mycuccismells » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am

T-Lo wrote:Other than the direction these other gents have pointed you to, I would just recommend going after players you like for your first year. Unless you have an extreme desire to 100% win, choosing players you already enjoy will give you more reason to root for them when you watch their games. Even with this though, don't pass up on extremely valuable players if they are there.

This is a great strategy if you are trying to have fun, and a horrible strategy if you are trying to win. Its great to use that as a tie breaker but being a fantasy GM is a lot like being a real GM in the sense that you have to pick with your brain and not your heart.
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum