Need Basic help about Fantasy football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Need Basic help about Fantasy football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Need Basic help about Fantasy football

Postby preeti222 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:15 am

mycuccismells wrote:
T-Lo wrote:Other than the direction these other gents have pointed you to, I would just recommend going after players you like for your first year. Unless you have an extreme desire to 100% win, choosing players you already enjoy will give you more reason to root for them when you watch their games. Even with this though, don't pass up on extremely valuable players if they are there.

This is a great strategy if you are trying to have fun, and a horrible strategy if you are trying to win. Its great to use that as a tie breaker but being a fantasy GM is a lot like being a real GM in the sense that you have to pick with your brain and not your heart.

Though it is my first fantasy football league,I would definitely like to win. I was thinking to go for my favorite players because i don't have any particular draft strategy.but now I think this strategy can turn into disaster. Still struggling to come up with helpful strategy
preeti222
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mycuccismells » Thu May 16, 2013 11:39 am

preeti222 wrote:Though it is my first fantasy football league,I would definitely like to win. I was thinking to go for my favorite players because i don't have any particular draft strategy.but now I think this strategy can turn into disaster. Still struggling to come up with helpful strategy

It will be a bit easier to formulate a strategy as the season draws nearer. I would really suggest just finding some fantasy football podcasts in the meantime and listen to them. You will get to know some of the different ways that people look at fantasy football, and since its the off season there will be a lot of discussion about strategy rather than particular players.

As the season draws closer just read some articles, look at mock drafts that people posted, and the most important part for someone new to FF is to do mock drafts. Do as many as you have time for, and switch up your strategy across drafts as much as possible. If you know ahead of time what position you will be drafting in then try to do mock drafts from that position (with the same # of players as your league), to get a good idea of what types of players you will be looking at.

As you do mock drafts you will be able to look at your team and see some things you did that you like and some that you dont. Maybe once its over with you realize that you were just taking the best player available every round but that left you with no real consistent WR. Maybe you start to see a trend where you draft Matt Ryan in the 4th round but someone like Russell Wilson was going in the 8th and you would have been just as happy with him, realizing that you overdrafted the QB position.

Not only will you start to get a feel for where guys are being valued, but you will get a feel for when you want to target certain positions. You will get a feel for when its best to lead the pack in a position and get the best player or when its best to let everyone else use their picks and you get the value players at their position that may not have quite as high of a ceiling. Just as importantly you will start to notice some guys that tend to slip that you may have overlooked, keep notes of these players so you dont overlook them in the draft and you can make other people say "How did i forget about him???"
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 361)

Postby preeti222 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:21 am

well, you make it sound easier.surely I will do mock drafts as many as possible.What about projections? how much important they are ?
preeti222
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 14)

Postby mycuccismells » Fri May 31, 2013 7:42 am

preeti222 wrote:well, you make it sound easier.surely I will do mock drafts as many as possible.What about projections? how much important they are ?

Everything is important when taken as a piece of the puzzle, just dont view anything as the end all be all. Previous performance and personal opinion drives projections, which is what should drive your actions as well. Looking at one person's projections could help you or harm you, anyone in the world can put out projections so taking their opinion and running with it is not the most informed strategy. However, looking at a larger group of projections to help you see how the fantasy football community as a whole values the player will give you insight into how to do your mock drafts. In addition to that it will also help you see some guys that are projected high that maybe you dont know too much about and would have completely overlooked in the draft, but now you know to do some research on them.

Really though projections and mock drafts are just a good way to get a feel for how players are being valued, and look for the best way to exploit that value. If someone is projected as a 5th round pick and constantly goes in the 5th round in drafts and you really like him you can feel comfortable going into the draft knowing you can reach for him in the 4th round and get him or early 5th depending on where you pick. Maybe you really liked someone and planned on taking him early only to see him projected as an 8th round pick, you know you can wait on him a little longer and save those early picks.

Everything is a piece to the whole puzzle, the off season is just about taking in as much information as possible to better prepare you for your draft. Mock drafts, articles, projections, forums, etc are all little pieces that add up to a total picture
mycuccismells
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 361)

Previous

Return to Beginner's Forum