Need fellow Commish advice ASAP - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need fellow Commish advice ASAP

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need fellow Commish advice ASAP

Postby Big Chief Triangle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:09 pm

What are your opinions on a blind bid Fantasy Football Auction league? Basically, instead of having the normal auction process, a player is nominated, then everyone writes a number on a piece of paper and the highest number gets the player. I think it's ridiculous.

I need outside views because this has been proposed by a manager in my league and some people seem to like the idea. The idea of losing money by blindly overbidding is something I can't accept. Winning Arian Foster with a blind bid of $50 when I could have had him at $40 is ludicrous and wasteful in my eyes. I believe I have some people who are afraid of the strategy a traditional auction draft requires.

I look forward to your feedback
Big Chief Triangle
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need fellow Commish advice ASAP

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Big Chief Triangle wrote:What are your opinions on a blind bid Fantasy Football Auction league? Basically, instead of having the normal auction process, a player is nominated, then everyone writes a number on a piece of paper and the highest number gets the player. I think it's ridiculous.

I need outside views because this has been proposed by a manager in my league and some people seem to like the idea. The idea of losing money by blindly overbidding is something I can't accept. Winning Arian Foster with a blind bid of $50 when I could have had him at $40 is ludicrous and wasteful in my eyes. I believe I have some people who are afraid of the strategy a traditional auction draft requires.

I agree with you 100%. I think that's a horrible idea. The whole idea of auction leagues/drafts revolves around seeing the high bids and having each owner decide if they want to bid more or not. Plus, one of the biggest things that a commish has to do during auction drafts is to make sure that an owner doesn't have outstanding bids that would either put them over the cap or not be able to fill their roster. That would be impossible for the commish to police if all the bids were blind.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Big Chief Triangle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:06 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Big Chief Triangle wrote:What are your opinions on a blind bid Fantasy Football Auction league? Basically, instead of having the normal auction process, a player is nominated, then everyone writes a number on a piece of paper and the highest number gets the player. I think it's ridiculous.

I agree with you 100%. I think that's a horrible idea. The whole idea of auction leagues/drafts revolves around seeing the high bids and having each owner decide if they want to bid more or not. Plus, one of the biggest things that a commish has to do during auction drafts is to make sure that an owner doesn't have outstanding bids that would either put them over the cap or not be able to fill their roster. That would be impossible for the commish to police if all the bids were blind.

I appreciate your feedback greatly. Some of my owners think this is a good idea. All I see is confusion and a chaos. I am in the process of deciding if this is something we should vote on or I kill myself.
Big Chief Triangle
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby murphysxm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:48 pm

no way this will work, stupid idea. The smart couple of owners that sit on their money while the big boys go early will clean house when everybody is cash poor.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 222)

Postby Big Chief Triangle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:27 pm

murphysxm wrote:no way this will work, stupid idea. The smart couple of owners that sit on their money while the big boys go early will clean house when everybody is cash poor.

Thx for the insight! I think this is a ploy by some of my managers to dumb down the auction.
Big Chief Triangle
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Indibuck » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Big Chief Triangle wrote:
murphysxm wrote:no way this will work, stupid idea. The smart couple of owners that sit on their money while the big boys go early will clean house when everybody is cash poor.

Thx for the insight! I think this is a ploy by some of my managers to dumb down the auction.

That was my first thought as well.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 173)

Postby kevinkallberg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:47 pm

I haven't been apart of many auction leagues so I don't have much experience. With that said, you are the commish and ultimately you have the final say. If someone brings up an idea and you as the commish do not like the idea, squash it.

I've had to kill a few ideas in my leagues in the past as there are certain things that I will not change. The other managers usually understand if I let it go to a vote or kill it instantly. And hopefully whoever brings up that idea in your league doesn't get mad, but if they do, oh well as there are plenty other leagues out there.
kevinkallberg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 19)

Return to Commissioner's Corner