Who would you take first in a rookie draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions

Who would you take first in a rookie draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who would you take first in a rookie draft?

Postby mzkp54 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:01 pm

I think my team's biggest need is RB. Which RB would you take first? Bernard, Bell, Ball, or Lacy? I have the 1.1 and 1.6 in the first round. I was originally leaning Eifert with my 1.6, but I'm not loving his situation either, so I might end up with 2 of these guys if Austin and another WR go early. The other possibility is taking Austin and taking whoever is left at 1.6. What do you think?

12 team, start QRRWWWTF. PPR

My team:
QB- Brees, Rivers, Smith
RB- Lynch, Bush, Bradshaw, Moreno, Turbin, Goodson, Blount
WR- Cobb, Cruz, Wallace, Hilton, Sanu, DNelson, JJones(BAL), Floyd (SD), Ford
TE- Gates, Cameron, Celek
mzkp54
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 241)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who would you take first in a rookie draft?

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Because im in leagues on this site I have to be cautious at what i say :-D. I also and am essentially in the exact same position as you except I have 1:01 and 1:08, 2:01. My needs steer more towards WR and RB depth (ADP and MJD my starters) but beyond that i only have journeymen Rashad Jennings, Goodson, Hardesty, Helu. Thats likely what ill do with a WR and RB but in what order I haven't decided. Not a ton of info out just yet to give me the confidence one way or the other.

So your question. I feel your needs are Best player available. You are actually pretty solid at both RB and WR. With those 2 first round picks I would consider a RB and WR.

The way I see the draft going is a combo of RB's and WR's in the first 5-8 picks and then a TE coming into play. I think you really need to study The 4 guys you mentioned and their situations. Along with studying the top 4-5 WR's. Then pick the BPA at each spot. Watch for dynasty rookie mocks to start coming out and see where guys go. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Indibuck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 am

I think Austin can be considered as the 1.01 in PPR leagues. I'm not completely sold on that personally, but the 1.01 is so open this year that I wouldn't blink if an owner did go with Austin there.

I think Eifert at 1.06 is way too early.

As for the #1 back... I'm in the same boat as Cowboy, I am in multiple leagues here at the Cafe, so I have to be careful on what I disclose. But I will say that one could make a valid argument for any of the 4 RBs that you mentioned.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Humdinger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:50 pm

I think Lacy is the way to go at 1.1--- He's what the Pack has been missing for a couple seasons now. I definitely think 800 yards and 8 TDs are well in reach. Maybe higher. Wouldn't fault you for taking Austin though.
Humdinger
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Norseman36 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:46 am

I personally see Bell as the back that is going to get the most opportunity. Ball and Lacy, while great RBs, will both play for teams that have prolific passing games. All three are close enough in talent, in my opinion, but I see the Steelers relying more heavily on the run than Denver or Green Bay. I would expect Bell to receive way more touches than Ball or Lacy, and he has the talent to produce.
Norseman36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dblj9911 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:12 pm

If the Pack didn't Franklin at rb then I'd be all in on Lacy, but he mostly likely will lose touches to him and some think Franklin may be the better option of the two. I really don't know who or if there is a consensus #1 guy for rookie drafts this year. In a ppr league I may take Austin, he will replace Amendola in the slot and may sneak you a return td or two on the season. It is still early but I think Bell who went to Pitt could put up quality numbers as a rb as well. It's early, but those are my top two.

viewtopic.php?f=396&t=533654
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 75)

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 01, 2013 2:29 pm

I would be tempted to go for Ball here with Moreno on your roster. I don't feel there is a clear cut #1 pick this year. Lacy, Bell and Ball all can make arguments for the spot, take the guy you like.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby mutantseabass » Wed May 01, 2013 7:14 pm

First let me start off by saying you never draft for need in dynasty. Draft the best player available. In your case with two picks in the top six things get really interesting. In PPR I personally would go with Austin at 1.01. Hes a special player. Faster, more talented, more versitile and healthier then Amendola and Danny put up some impressive numbers(when he played). My take on some of the bigger names in this years class PPR wise.

1.Bernard(Cinci)-Green Ellis is a plodder, the Bengals know that hence the drafting of Bernard. Bernard is faster and has great hands out of the backfield. While you may not have immediate rewards with Bernard, he will overtake Green Ellis and be the starter there by week 5 or 6.

2. Bell(Pitt)-I have never been impressed by Bell. I have seen plenty of him at Michigan State. Situation is the thing he has going for him though. Hes a Steelers type of RB, not a great deal of speed but he is powerful.

3.Lacy(GB)-The injury history scares me off a bit and the fact the Packers decided to draft Franklin. One RB was odd from Ted Thompson but two in one draft, the world is ending! Lacy comes out of a pro style system and has all the tools to be a very good NFL Rb but his health is the only thing that limits him. Talent wise he his above Bell but again its situation.

4.Ball(DEN)-Quick name me a Big Ten RB that has done anything in the pros? Ball was a workhorse at Wisconsin, a LOT of miles on those tires. Couple that with Fox's hatred of starting rookie RBs and a somewhat crowded Denver backfield and Ill pass. Ball will be so overdrafted its sick, I personally would rather take a shot at Zac Stacy in the second then Ball in the first.

If you feel you need a RB I would go Bernard then the best available WR at 6. You are stronger at WR then RB depth wise but like I said I never draft for need. You can always trade. A young PPR WR like Austin has a much longer shelf life then RBs and with the NFLs RBBC stance now, its much easier to find RB when a player gets injured and a bit player. Look at Moreno, Bryce Brown. PPR Slot Machines like Austin will fetch you a much higher return on your investment come trade time.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Devil Doc » Fri May 03, 2013 6:12 pm

I think as of right now, Gio Bernard is the 1.01. With Moreno on your roster, I can see an argument for Ball. And there is no hiding the potential in Austin, so he's a posibility as well.

Not sure when your rookie draft is, but the top 3 picks I'm sure will probably continue to change over the next few months. I think Gio has the greatest oppertunity for the future of your team though.
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 100)

Return to Dynasty & Keeper Questions