Geno Smith - the next Ryan Leaf??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Geno Smith - the next Ryan Leaf???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Geno Smith - the next Ryan Leaf???

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 am

This guy is really starting to sound flaky if all the lowdown is true, really seems to have a swollen head. He's not gonna like being under the microscope that comes with playing in the Big Apple.

A source "close to Geno Smith" tells Deadspin he fired his agents because they "handled him like a potential high pick," advising him to do things like skip the Senior Bowl.
Per the source, Smith was also upset his agents steered fellow clients Chase Daniel and Kevin Kolb to QB-needy teams, and "did nothing" to combat the negative press that came about following Pro Football Weekly's scathing scouting report. "(Geno) just felt like he needed a change, and that's the end of the story," the source said. Agent switches are rarely this scrutinized, but it's just a taste of what Smith will have to get used to in the New York market. May 1 - 5:06 PM
Source: Deadspin

Several NFL executives who spent "extensive time" with Jets rookie Geno Smith before the draft believe Smith faces significant NFL roadblocks because he's "tuned out" and fails to realize he doesn't know everything.
"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches," said one exec. "... You can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down." Another NFL exec questioned Smith's leadership. "He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader. I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league." Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, Smith spent "much of his time on his cell phone" during pre-draft visits. "All these other players were talking to coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one source said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback." May 1 - 3:55 PM
Source: Yahoo Sports

The New York Daily News reports No. 38 pick Geno Smith has fired his agents over "displeasure (with) his draft position."
Welcome to the big leagues, Geno. Per reporter Manish Mehta, Smith thought he "would and should be the No. 1 overall pick," but was given "no assurance of his draft position." Smith shooting the messenger over his draft position isn't a promising indication of how he'll handle the New York spotlight, but players changing agents is hardly a rarity. It won't be a story going forward. Apr 30 - 1:17 PM
Source: New York Daily News

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Geno Smith - the next Ryan Leaf???

Postby murphysxm » Thu May 02, 2013 12:54 pm

didn't a lot of this info come from the disgruntled former agent though?
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 02, 2013 2:03 pm

murphysxm wrote:didn't a lot of this info come from the disgruntled former agent though?

Some of it definitely does but there is also the negative comments from other NFL teams that were less than impressed.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu May 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Still, Ryan Leaf comparison is pretty harsh. Hate to hear of lack of leadership and uncoachable being used, those are a kiss of death. Can't think of a worse place for Geno than the Jests.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 02, 2013 5:04 pm

moochman wrote:Still, Ryan Leaf comparison is pretty harsh. Hate to hear of lack of leadership and uncoachable being used, those are a kiss of death. Can't think of a worse place for Geno than the Jests.

How 'bout a Charles Rogers comparison instead??? ;-) :-b
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Thu May 02, 2013 6:25 pm

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:Still, Ryan Leaf comparison is pretty harsh. Hate to hear of lack of leadership and uncoachable being used, those are a kiss of death. Can't think of a worse place for Geno than the Jests.

Oh, you get so testy when there is no football. :-b

(btw, a Joey Blueskies may have been more appropriate)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 02, 2013 10:25 pm

moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

Oh, you get so testy when there is no football. :-b

(btw, a Joey Blueskies may have been more appropriate)

Lol, or we could just go with the generic "a million dollar talent with a ten cent brain" :-D
stomperrob

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri May 03, 2013 2:39 am

Ya Ryan Leaf is a slight bit to harsh. Im not the most versed when it comes to college football but the one thing I noticed about him that turned me off was him wanting to go home because he wasn't drafted in the first round.

It made me think of a time in the past where Donnie a friend of mine got a brand new Basketball for Christmas. Him, myself and 4 others went to the local park to play some ball. I was on the opposite team as Donnie and a bit taller. When he drove to the basket after getting around his guy he ran into me and made a feeble attempt at a layup. That ball lost 2 pounds of pressure when I swatted it out of bounds like a fly. Donnie wasnt happy so he quit and took his Brand new ball home.

That type of give up attitude will cause sacks, fumbles, lack of effort when things go bad. He gives up and he will down the line.

Now look at Tom Brady (I hate the Pats but this guy is a real QB). OLB/DE gets around the corner and sacks Brady then celebrates. Watch Brady's reaction. He jumps back up immediately as if to say "You didnt hurt me one bit bro" and gets in the guys face helmet to helmet jawin at him showing the OLB/DE that they aint !@#$.

Thats who I want as my Franchise QB not a guy who wants to take his ball and go home.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Sex Panther » Mon May 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Geno certainly does come across as a bit of an asshat, but his saving grace & what makes the Leaf comparisson void (IMO) is Leaf was drafted 2nd overall, right after arguably the best QB in NFL history. Smith on the otherhand, slid the 2nd round & I don't think there is a HoFer at QB in this draft class.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Looks like the rookie is fitting in okay:

Geno Smith has early edge on Mark Sanchez in NY Jets quarterback battle
The Smith-Sanchez competition has been close thus far in training camp, but the rookie has probably performed a tad better. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie said Monday that he was surprised by how quickly Smith has been able to pick up the offense.
By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, July 29, 2013, 11:23 PM

CORTLAND — Mark Sanchez threw the first 11-on-11 interception of training camp Monday, badly throwing behind a receiver and right at linebacker Josh Mauga, drawing some boos from the small crowd watching practice.

Sanchez has had a couple of interceptions elsewhere — one during one-on-one’s Monday, another earlier in camp during seven-on-seven’s — but Geno Smith has managed to avoid throwing any interceptions at all. That caught the eye of coach Rex Ryan.

“I think he can throw the football, there’s no doubt. He’s accurate with the football,” said Ryan. “I think the big thing for him now . . . like he took a couple of sacks today, instead we got to get rid of the ball. Like don’t throw the picks, but obviously we got to get rid of it. If it’s not there, we don’t want to be taking sacks. So I think that’s something where he can improve his game, but I have been impressed with the fact that he has not thrown a pick and that’s certainly a real positive thing.”

The Smith-Sanchez competition has been close thus far in training camp, but the rookie has probably performed a tad better. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie said Monday that he was surprised by how quickly Smith has been able to pick up the offense. Smith completed 5 of 10 pass attempts Monday, with a touchdown, two sacks and two drops. Sanchez was 3-for-6 with a sack and an interception.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1412299
stomperrob

Next

Return to Football Talk