Thoughts on Montee Ball? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Thoughts on Montee Ball?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on Montee Ball?

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Tue May 07, 2013 5:27 pm

I dont follow college ball, but some of the stats on this guy look pretty darn impressive.

Can he pass block?

If so, odds on cracking the RB top 20 over the last 8 games or better?
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thoughts on Montee Ball?

Postby eaglesrock » Tue May 07, 2013 6:11 pm

The talking heads on Yahoo had him going 13th overall in their early mock. I think they were doing things to get a rise out of people. Some picks just seemed silly.
eaglesrock
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Sex Panther » Thu May 09, 2013 8:51 am

Not the biggest college football fan myself, but Ball's 2011 stats were truly gaudy (Wisconsin's o-line was one of the best in college football & Russel Wilson behind center didn't hurt either). 2012 started out slowly, but he ended up finding his groove.

IMO, it's all about where he landed - DEN figures to be a fantasy glodmine. Just have to monitor how their backfield shapes up. Ball & Hillman aren't going anywhere, the question is what happens to McGahee & Moreno. Rumor is McGahee will be the odd man out due to age & $$ owed. Moreno is the in the last year of his rookie contract & is owed in the neighborhood of 1.5-1.7 million I believe.

As of today, I assume McGahee will be gone, Ball will be the starter, Hillman change of pace back, and Moreno will be the back up and 3rd down guy due to his pass blocking to start the season.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Indibuck » Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 am

The history of rookie RBs under John Fox is not pretty. Granted, there were many times that a capable starter was ahead of a talented rookie... Deshaun Foster behind Stephen Davis, Deangelo Williams behind Foster, Jonathon Stewart behind Williams... But Fox has been loyal to veteran RBs, almost to a fault.

The other thing to consider is this... If you aren't good at pass pro in a Peyton Manning offense, you ain't gonna play. Ball was efficient at Wisconsin, but protection schemes in the pros are much more intricate. Not saying that Ball can't handle it, but it's a steep learning curve.

I don't know that you can expect too much from Ball in 2013.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions