Here are the draft rules and scoring settings:
- #1) Please refrain from mentioning the names of players who haven't been drafted yet. Experience has shown that doing so tends to generate bias and make players get drafted before they normally would, skewing the results of the draft. This rule can be a bit difficult at first but becomes less of a hassle as the draft progresses.
- #2) You must draft an entire starting roster - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF. So remember to pick up a defense and a kicker in rounds 15 and 16 instead of stockpiling those last two sleepers. I realize that in a real redraft many folks will wait to get a kicker and defense off free agency just before week one, but in the case of this mock we’d like to get a feel for how you rank D’s and K’s. You’ll have the opportunity to discuss who you might have taken in those two spots after the draft.
- #3) Once picks are made, they are not allowed to be changed, regardless of whether the next manager has chosen or not. Once you click submit, you may not go back and change your pick. The exception to this is if a player is already taken and the pick has to change. Remember, mods can see each version of an edited post so like Santa we’ll know if you’ve been bad or good so be good for goodness sake.
- #4) Alternate Pick Policy – When your turn comes up you have 24 hours to get your pick made. When your 24 hour timer is about to expire, alternates will be asked to make a pick for you. Once the timer has expired, a manager may still make his pick as long as no alternate has made the pick. The next manager on the clock shall NOT make his pick - even though the timer has expired, wait for the alternate (or the original manager) to make a pick. Furthermore, once the alternate has made the pick, it is final. Even if the next manager has not made his pick, the alternate pick cannot be changed by the original manager. If you know you’ll be unavailable for a given round, post as much in the draft forum to let us know and PM a list of players you’d like to the alts and to me. That way, the draft doesn’t get held up for 24 hours and you will get a player you will be happy with.
The 24 hour rule is intended to keep the draft moving at a good rate. It’s not the end of the world if someone is taking their time to get a pick in, however a manager that fails to get their pick in multiple times usually will end up being replaced with an alternate.
- #5) It is your responsibility to PM the next manager after you make your pick. With handy PM shortcuts at the top of every round this will be easy for you. When you forget, you hold up the entire draft! If someone is forgetting to PM you, please let me know.
- #6) There will be a Draft Discussion Thread and a Miscellaneous chatter thread. The former is for actual discussion and analysis of the mock draft (this is also where it’s really difficult to adhere to rule #1). The latter is for the following:
- someone's time limit has expired
- someone chooses a player already drafted
- you are going to be away and need an alternate
- someone is mentioning names of players who have yet to be drafted
The idea behind having two separate threads is so that we (and other Cafe members) can look back through the Draft Discussion thread later on and not have to wade through a bunch of miscellaneous discussion. It is your responsibility to understand the difference between these threads and keep the content appropriate.
- #7) Please keep your roster updated in the Rosters thread, because it plays into some people's draft strategies. It's okay if you skip a round or two but it's not fair to everyone else if you haven't updated your roster in several picks.
- #8) Please submit all picks in the following format:
1.01 Teri Bradshaw - QB, PIT
Pick #, then name, then a dash, then the position, then a comma, then team (use three letter abbreviation for team). Submitting them in a consistent format makes it easier to manage the lists of players taken, which I will update on a regular basis.
For team defenses / special teams, use the following format:
15.02 Steelers – DST, PIT
Mock Draft Settings
7 bench spots
We are mocking for a league that would use the following scoring settings. Alter your player rankings accordingly:
Passing Yards (25 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (4)
Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-1)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
0-49 FG = 3 points
50+ FG = 5 points
PAT = 1 point
missed PAT = -1 points
Sack = 1 point
INT = 2 points
FR = 2 points
Blocked Kick = 3 points
Safety = 4 points
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
0 points against (PA) = 10 points
1-6 PA = 8 points
7-13 PA = 5 points
14-20 PA = 2 points
21-27 PA = 0 points
28-34 PA = -2 points
35+ PA = -4 points